Going To Buy A BMW Today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's funny how cars are convertibles until you cross over 1990 back into the 80s and they become cabriolets - or is there a technical difference?

Make sure the car has the optional pavement flag stone in the boot.

I would love a nice genuine M-Tec sports kit version of the same car. I think D reg or maybe E is the last of the brake lights near the centre (I could be wrong) and they moved to the outside from E.

The only issue I was aware of, apart from rust, is the coil packs are a bit crap on the 6 cylinder and expensive to replace. Maybe not so now.

Post up the pics if you get it! Fantastic classic.

It's funny how cars are convertibles until you cross over 1990 back into the 80s and they become cabriolets - or is there a technical difference?

Make sure the car has the optional pavement flag stone in the boot.

I would love a nice genuine M-Tec sports kit version of the same car. I think D reg or maybe E is the last of the brake lights near the centre (I could be wrong) and they moved to the outside from E.

The only issue I was aware of, apart from rust, is the coil packs are a bit crap on the 6 cylinder and expensive to replace. Maybe not so now.

Post up the pics if you get it! Fantastic classic.

Convertable in 3 series language is the BMW original with no roll bar. Cabriolet is the Baur conversion which had a roof bar!

Very very nice. I sat my driving test in the 325 coupe in 87. Well done mate.

A BMW? Are you feeling ok? *checks Lee's temperature* :eek:

The E30 doesn't count as a BMW; it's too cool for that.

I've just told the missus what I'm buying and this was her reply;

"I thought you said you had to be a tw@t to drive a BMW? Are you admitting to being one with you buying this then?"

"It's not the same as other BMWs, these are cool"

"Whatever you say love, whatever you say....."

Mine warped its exhaust manifold and snapped the studs. Apparently it was quite common. Also it semed to go through suspension bushes at a quick rate, but that might be more to do with the roads than the car.

(They are also terrible in snow without snowtyres.)

The E30 doesn't count as a BMW; it's too cool for that.

Well I never, sweetpea: the original yuppiemobile is on your 'cool' list?

Have to admit that the E30 is probably my favourite BMW, although I've never had one. Not sure I'd go for a convertible though - they always put me in mind of that proto-Scouser that used to be on Brookside...

The problem with old cars is that unless there is something really special and different about them, they feel like old cars.

Sometimes the wanting is better than the having.
Having said that, one of mine is a car that still needs some attention, but the other one I drove today to take for MOT, after not driving it for 4-5 months and it felt great. But these cars do feel different anyway.

Hi Lee
I bought one back in the autumn, 1988,320, 75k.
Replaced soft top and created new leather interior, all done in house by my fabrics and upholstery shop, replaced fuel,tank(apparently they do rust) and installed new instrument binnacle.
Put it in for MOT the day I bought it and it passed no problem.
My local body shop isn't keen on starting a full body restoration as apparently once you start digging cosmetic rust generally leads to one job after another, so we're just going to use it as a bit of a local run around.
Good luck with yours.

I thiugh that there was No such thing then. Coupe started with the next gen from early 90's didn't it?

Not exactly. There was a 2 door version of the E30, which I think was called the Coupe, possibly unofficially.

Not exactly. There was a 2 door version of the E30, which I think was called the Coupe, possibly unofficially.

Owners may have optimistically called it that, but it was marketed (in the UK, at least) as a two-door saloon. Certainly when the two-door E36 was launched as a coupé, it led to two-door E30 owners re-writing history a little with regard to their own cars.

I thiugh that there was No such thing then. Coupe started with the next gen from early 90's didn't it?
Well technically you're right. But e30 came as a cab, saloon , estate and 2 door saloon. I'm just calling it a coupe.

Get a load of this baby!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, oh how the memories come flooding back, I had one of those 18 years ago!! What a car, complete babe magnet for me at the time, real pity i never learnt to drive it properly, had it three and a half months and drove it into a river showing off to my mates!!!! What a tw@ i felt!! oh to be young and foolish again........

The problem with old cars is that unless there is something really special and different about them, they feel like old cars.

That is very true. The 1985 BMW 525E I bought as a stop gap felt like it was very old - albeit was 15 years at the time. Not what I imagined - assumed it would be like my 1993 325 Coupe (E36 which was a coupe) but how wrong was I.

Get a load of this baby!!!!!!!

Love it.

Some more pictures...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom