Going to look at an Audi A8 W12

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think there are a couple of other similar W12s on the AAU site. Not that I looked... :rolleyes:

I think the Rotors are the best looking wheels Audi have done yet.

I think there are a couple of other similar W12s on the AAU site. Not that I looked... :rolleyes:

I think the Rotors are the best looking wheels Audi have done yet.

Yes the one I bought is in the Audi Approved Used from Audi West London.
I agree about the Rotors I've seen quite a few cars and they are my favourite design.

Thanks, I looked into it a bit and the Audi is all aluminum so not quite the hefalump the Phaeton is. I'm still thinking I'll stick to the the 20 inch Rotors though.

Can't fault that, they're a fine looking wheel.

Yes the one I bought is in the Audi Approved Used from Audi West London.
I agree about the Rotors I've seen quite a few cars and they are my favourite design.

Welcome to the A8 club, however, mine is but a lowly 3.0tdi !

I wasn't sure about the 21" Rotors on my car but they have really grown on me and I must agree that the ride is still good despite the massive wheels.

Welcome to the A8 club, however, mine is but a lowly 3.0tdi !

I wasn't sure about the 21" Rotors on my car but they have really grown on me and I must agree that the ride is still good despite the massive wheels.

Thanks but I haven't joined the A8 club yet, I think I've been doomed from the start. First off was the opportunist secondhand car dealer who offered me a good price on the Phaeton for an S8 only to insult me with a near half value for the car once in his showroom.
The Phaeton then fried its electronics two days before the very generous part exchange deal with Audi West London who had the fabulous spec A8 W12. I threw a bit of a hissy fit over the Phaeton and decided not to go ahead with the deal.
I then put the Phaeton on e-bay as a non runner and it sold for £2.5K in 5 minutes, it was picked up the next day by a bunch of gentlemen from the eastern block who paid me cash and the car is now out of the country.
I'm still in a state in indecision as the Audi is still for sale at Audi West London, the main difference now is I don't really need a daily car due to a change in my business.

Sometimes it seems like fate helps you along with decision making!

I wouldn't bother if it was me given those circumstance - unless you REALLY want the A8.

Sometimes it seems like fate helps you along with decision making!

I wouldn't bother if it was me given those circumstance - unless you REALLY want the A8.

It also coincided with some changes I've made to my business travel/involvement, plus I reckon I can lower my business mileage to 3-5000 a year. As I've only done 2800 miles this year in the CL I think I'll use that a bit more and just hire or fly for all other travel.
Plus it also meant not having two lots of road tax at £500 each plus proper maintenance. So far I've convinced myself it makes sense but I'll have to see how it pans out long term. Just because you can it doesn't mean you should so to speak. I still think both the w12 A8 and S8 are damn fine cars though.

I still think both the w12 A8 and S8 are damn fine cars though.

As is the CL... :D

I work with a lot of nationalities and I know a guy who often takes vehicles out to Lithuania to get them repaired.

Also a guy from Bulgaria who is taking his own car home to get various things sorted. In this case he is going anyway but the labour rate is so much cheaper it makes sense in both cases.

Sorry to hear you're no longer part of the Phaeton fraternity, David! What happened to the poor thing? I just took my W12 up to the north of Scotland and while it's definitely getting long in the tooth it still does what it was designed to do very well. It also averaged 29.2MPG and 531 miles from a single tank on the way home...

I drove a 3.0 D4 A8 a while ago and while the gearbox was absolutely fantastic, I found the ride a little bit fidgety compared to the Phaeton. Handling and electronics were very good, though.

Sorry to hear you're no longer part of the Phaeton fraternity, David! What happened to the poor thing? I just took my W12 up to the north of Scotland and while it's definitely getting long in the tooth it still does what it was designed to do very well. It also averaged 29.2MPG and 531 miles from a single tank on the way home...

I drove a 3.0 D4 A8 a while ago and while the gearbox was absolutely fantastic, I found the ride a little bit fidgety compared to the Phaeton. Handling and electronics were very good, though.

As you know I was a real fan of the Phaeton and my trusty old friend let me down big time two days before the P/X deal. Basically the water draining channels in the sun-roof became blocked. I hadn't used the car for a couple of days so didn't notice. Went to use it and it refused to let me in so used the key manually to get in.

Started OK but a few different visit workshop warnings came up which I thought was unusual, at the bottom of the road (on a hill) where I live is a junction so I braked and was absolutely soaked by water coming from the sunroof edge. The car spluttered to a holt, got out and I was soaked but noticed the passenger footwell was floating and water coming out of the central console. Thinking back we did have several heavy rain storms so it obviously filled up.

Managed to start the car but all sorts of warnings came up now but I managed to limp home. Got the wet vacuum out and removed about 10 litres from the various carpets. Put the VCDS in and basically every fault code you could imagine came up. Tried to clear them but the car was dead wouldn't do anything at all and refused to let the key out (which I sorted by inserting a small fine screwdriver in the orifice near the key) put a new battery on just in case I'd fried it but nothing.

I had a really great deal with Audi West London (nice people) set up and a very generous price allowed for the Phaeton. They were obviously not interested in the car as a non runner so I popped into my local car breaker and explained about the bespoke discs etc and the engine being quite valuable and they offered me £500 so I put it on e-bay and sold it within 5 minutes for £2.5K.

The next day a couple of guys turned up with a giant lorry and trailer I counted 7 cars in them, they spoke no English but knew what they were doing, handed me the wad of cash stripped out the central console shook their heads and muttered what must have been a few profanities, then phoned someone who also knew his stuff, they tried that and muttered again.
I had the foresight when I came back in the car to park out of my drive and on the road outside my house facing down the hill. So the guys unhitched the giant trailer left it in the road and backed their lorry into the bottom of my road, got out some ramps then with screwdrivers got the car into N and freewheeled down the road and up the ramps, very skilful and that was it.

As you know I've been after an S8 to replace the Phaeton but having driven the later series W12 model A8 I was very impressed indeed, again it must be just the oomph bigger engines have that appeals to me. I'm still undecided as to what I'm going to do as I've made different travel arrangements to driving so I'll see how long it takes for me to grow bored with this arrangement and just go out and buy another daily.

Sorry to hear that David - your V10 was a very nice specimen! I better double check the sunroof drains on mine this weekend...

Sorry to hear that David - your V10 was a very nice specimen! I better double check the sunroof drains on mine this weekend...

Yes do check, I put a wire down mine then blasted it out with compressed air. Bit late me thinks on my part but could save you a world of pain.
I used to relish a long journey in the Phaeton and it was an interesting change to take the W12 out. The drive back home in the Phaeton made me realise how old but charming and solid it felt.
Good MPG on yours for that journey too, I quite often got 38 MPG on long trips, can't imagine the W12 A8 would do that well but then who in their right mind buys a 6 litre 12 cylinder car thinking you'll get good MPG.

I still have a new set of unused front discs and pads for the Phaeton if you might be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom