Going to look at an R129 Mercedes SL300-24 to buy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekCL

Car
Mercedes E55 W211 (2004), BMW 640d GC (2016), BMW 645Ci (2004), Mini Cooper D (2008))
Hello guys,

I think the time has come to get one more Mercedes in the family lol.
Going to look at an R129 Mercedes SL300-24 to buy 1992 model.
With loads of history etc.

Anything specific to look at apart of the obvious? (roof working, engine oil etc?)

Cheers
Vasilis

There's quite a few 129 buying threads on here which should cover pretty much everything. One on the go in the "Engine" section, it concentrates on 500s but is still valid.

If you're driving a CL500, a SL300 will drive you potty. It's a heavy car. 500/600 is the way to go.

Didn't go for the performance :) ... just the relaxed open air cruising :) :)
Bought her lol ... there as a couple of things that need sorting out.
GearBox and a good clean.
But other than that everything is working fine.

Actually gearbox is working ... just is slipping a bit on the reverse when there is a load.

A couple of pics :) :)

Didn't go for the performance :) ... just the relaxed open air cruising :) :)
Bought her lol ... there as a couple of things that need sorting out.
GearBox and a good clean.
But other than that everything is working fine.

Actually gearbox is working ... just is slipping a bit on the reverse when there is a load.

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/other/tranny_722_Mitchell.pdf
Might be worth changing the gearbox fluid AND filter Dexron 3 will be fine e.g. Fuchs TITAN ATF 4000 Dexron III ATF

if you have the EZL ignition unit mounted on the inner wing--- unbolt it and re-apply a layer of new heatsink compound to the back of it. High Thermal Conductivity Heatsink Compound : PCB Compounds : Maplin Electronics and bolt it back on to the inner wing - [ make sure the surface is clean and rust free.] The heat sink compound dries out with time and the unit overheats-- they are now rare and expensive to replace

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/other/tranny_722_Mitchell.pdf
Might be worth changing the gearbox fluid AND filter Dexron 3 will be fine e.g. Fuchs TITAN ATF 4000 Dexron III ATF

if you have the EZL ignition unit mounted on the inner wing--- unbolt it and re-apply a layer of new heatsink compound to the back of it. High Thermal Conductivity Heatsink Compound : PCB Compounds : Maplin Electronics and bolt it back on to the inner wing - [ make sure the surface is clean and rust free.] The heat sink compound dries out with time and the unit overheats-- they are now rare and expensive to replace

Great info Grober thank you.
Yes it is worth changing the oil and go from there :) :) that was my thought.

I will check about the EZL Ignition I have plenty Thermal Paste from my CPU's and GPU Repairs ... hopefully it will do the job :)

With both my SL's I had all the fluids changed after purchase.

Is that on the passenge side under a plastic big cover?

Should look like this [ Will have different part no and 6 Zyl on it] -- albeit with a lot of cables attached.
EZL_5.0L_015b.jpg

Should look like this [ Will have different part no and 6 Zyl on it] -- albeit with a lot of cables attached.

Perfect will go out and have a look at it as we speak :)

Guess what ... I went to take my mate's W124 (my old one) to have it checked for the not starting cold.... problem.
And yesterday it started once and then would not start again ... AA came to the rescue!!!
It was not an injection fault or anything else... the EZL Ignition system that failed lol ... So an 89 W124 200E suffers from the same problem.
I found a new Hella part to replace it ... as the new MB part costs £397 apparently!! they are mad!
Better have a look on my SL before things go wrong lol

By the way .... the E and S switch on the gearbox? .... when is the E selected when it is covered by the switch or it is visible?

Great thanks for that.
Car did not come with the owner manual just the service book. I managed to find a PDF version of it but it is the American version and apparently they do not have E and S selector there.

Took her for a spin today with roof down .... feels great :) :)

Do you have a wind deflector?

Yeap came with the car and it's storage case in the boot.:thumb:

When I used the pressure washer to clean the mohair roof ... it did drip a bit inside ... I am sure under normal rain it should be OK. lol ...
in anycase I bought a Meguiars WeatherProofer srpay to use on, had it applied on my Saab 93 ('98) roof and it was brilliant water was bidding and slinding off like mad lol

Last edited:
Unusual to get the case too. Well done :thumb:

Unusual to get the case too. Well done :thumb:

Case is chipped on one corner .. .but I will repair it, somehow.
As I said to a friend, it is a fully working car that looks in great conditon. There are a couple of squeaks coming from the front suspension more likely antiroll bar bushes I guess, and this is expected from a car being 21yo! lol ...
All these will be sorted soon and she will drive like new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom