going to open a tin of worms here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joderest

Car
2003 ML270 Silver
My W163, ML270, will require new tyres in the next few months, last time i fitted GOODYEARS at a cost of £100 a corner, same tyres now will cost £130 a corner. I will be getting about 16,000 miles out of them, told about normal for car as big and heavy. Now Question....................................

The car is used for my commute to work, to go fishing and towing a two horse trailer. It is not driven like you nicked it, i am quite sedate now, hence, do i really need to fit top branded tyres ?

There are a lot of mid range stuff in 255/60/17 that would cut the cost right down, for example a mid range tyre for £80 a corner, quite a saving.

anyone have some feedback, good or bad on the cheaper tyre range ?
and what about the likes of arrowspeed, and other tyres made in the far east.

Something like the Avon range is a decent mid range that I would trust if the cash is an issue

Edit: just looked on asdatyres and black circles, it looks like this is an awkward size of tyre, so there aren't many options. Unfortunately I'd stick with a premium tyre in that case.

What are the mid range options?

I have 2012 Golf 2.0 tdi which also requires 4 new tyres. I can get cheap ones for £40 but decided to go with Pirelli at a deal from my Indy at £65 each. There’s a reason why top branded tyres are expensive .... wet roads being one of them. I’ve had the opportunity to see the difference between good and bad tyres on a skid pan.
As Teddy says mid range like Avon are ok but, avoid the cheaper Chinese/Korean stuff.

Tyres determine how well your vehicle steers, brakes, accelerates, goes round corners, the mpg you get, how much noise you hear...

So you pay your money and take your choice...

I know what you mean, it’s not a sports car and you don’t do high & fast mileage.
I would tend to go for a more moderately priced tyre but not bargain basement.
Consult with your local tyre company on this, I know mine are reliable and give good sound advice even though they have a vested interest.

I wasn't keen on some Evergreens that my last E class had on the back when I bought it, on the plus side they were tough as old boots and I had a hell of a job wearing them out.

Avoid Accelera for sure, bad experience with them

Apparently the only ‘not bad for a budget’ tyre is the Rotalla RU01

I would try to get falkens, uniroyal rain sport 3s or avon zz5.

I'm a big fan of Vredestein. I often run their winter tyres all year round on my SUV. Vredestein have a relatively hard compound giving good tyre life.

What about their all season tyres? At just over £100 corner from Camskill I think they're good value.

Vredestein Tyres / All Season SUV 4x4 / Vredestein Quatrac5 Vredestein Quatrac 5 - 255/60 R17 106V TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 72dB All Season - Four Season - All Weather - SUV/4x4 Tyres - 17" R17" - 255/60/17, 255/60R17

was told that Goodyear have just increased their prices, do not know why.
Khomo (think that's how its spelt) seem to be well liked.
I must admit to being a bit of a tyre snob, wife's Mini has Michelin s all round, and i would like to stay with decent tyres on the Mercedes, but the wear rate makes it a bit OTT.
Hence looking at Mid Range tyres, but i do not know what make is a Mid Range Tyre, hence why started the thread

the only issue with the Vredestein is that thats mail order at 106 pounds, when you add 15 for fitting and balance, its only 9 pounds off Goodyear

ok, i think this tin of worms may well be too big and i will close it again
There are so many makes of tyres now, it confuses the hell out of me, had a look on line and in about five minuets found this lot all do a 255/60/17
KUMHO,ACCELERA,AUTOGRIP,ROADCLAW,HIFLY,NANKING,LINGLONG
i think i may well bite the bullet and get decent ones, Goodyear or simular.

Personally never had any problems with Nankang,
whatsoever, why pay double
or more the price, you've said
you don't drive like a to55er
so why get ripped off. :)

No doubt different people have had different experiences with different tyres, my point is there's no need to pay ridiculous prices for the so called big name tyres.

Had Nexen (Korean) on the Kia and they were fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom