Golf Mk V 2.0 GTi Nurburgring Fast Lap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Hi All

Well as promised please find below our efforts at the ring in a golf

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uYorZ2cmEqA

As you will see car is a Golf Mk 5 GTi 2.0 turbo 230 bhp running Hankook tyres and red stuff pads with standard discs. This lap is with my nephew in the driving seat and me as Instructor & cameraman, lap time is 9 min 30 secs (which included having to back off 4 times for accidents) which proves just what a good car the golf really is. Watch out for the Alfa that spins directly in front of us towards the end of the lap, some good footage of my trainers as we pass accidents and thought it not appropriate to film and we get out gunned on the straights by a scooby & porsche. Problem with the golf is that top speed on the straights is only 141 mph but it more than makes up for it in the bends.

An excellent trip and thoroughly recommended but very dangerous and not for the faint hearted or inexperienced, during the weekend we were there there were 3 fatalities, but just thought I would share our exploits with you.

Great Clip,

The scubby seems to fly past even though its sound like your giving it big licks?...

Like the E-class just cruising round :)

Still think that Sabine in the Tranny van doing just over 10 mins is Awesome !!! OK you got slowed down a bit but hats off to her.

Looks like great fun.

Great Clip,

The scubby seems to fly past even though its sound like your giving it big licks?...

Like the E-class just cruising round :)

Still think that Sabine in the Tranny van doing just over 10 mins is Awesome !!! OK you got slowed down a bit but hats off to her.

Looks like great fun.

We were doing 135+ mph when the Scooby rocketed past, it must have been seriously modded as it was as quick as it looks.

I agree when we were there Sabine was driving the ring Taxi and would have loved to had a ride round in the passenger seat with her driving but it was booked solid and at €180 per lap not that cheap

Impressive. Had your nephew driven the 'ring before (other than the 18 laps mentioned)?

Impressive. Had your nephew driven the 'ring before (other than the 18 laps mentioned)?

No this was his first time there, although he did have the benefit of knowing the corners from the play station game, but that doesn't prepare you for the cambers and elavation of the circuit, think he did a reasonable job on his first visit but I'm sure he will be even quicker next year.

But for 180 euro's you wouldn't complain....

You want to see her in real life up close, is it worth €180? for 9 minutes? Could I last that long?

sabine-crop.jpg

We ate in her parents restaurant the last night we were there food and company excellent and she's always in.

You want to see her in real life up close, is it worth €180? for 9 minutes? Could I last that long?

sabine-crop.jpg

We ate in her parents restaurant the last night we were there food and company excellent and she's always in.
I think Top Gear has made her a living legend. certainly a great driver and I'm sure your nephew appreciated your input.

Thanks very much for sharing the experience.

Yours sincerely
John

I think Top Gear has made her a living legend. certainly a great driver and I'm sure your nephew appreciated your input.

Thanks very much for sharing the experience.

Yours sincerely
John

Thought you might find it of interest John, particularly as your son was / is looking to buy a Golf Mk5, as I've said before thoroughly recommended and happy to share the experience.

kindest regards
Ian

A Gti Edition30 (230bhp model) can do more than 150mph for sure (It has no speed limit and it's not even on the rev limit in 5th doing 150mph with 1 gear to go) and i heard of another doing 280kph earlier in the week round the 'ring (modfiied car though ;) ) are you sure it was the Ed30 model?

Last edited:
280kph is 175mph. The only straightish section on the ring is the long uphill to Karussel, just over a mile long. Even assuming you come perfectly out of the 90 degree bend at the bottom of the slope I wouldn't expect a speed much over 60mph; what kind of car does 60-175mph in one uphill mile with some (admittedly minor) bends in it?
Btw- the Cerbera I was passenger in only managed 120ish at that point.

RH

at the end of the lap there is a big long straight, you can go quite quickly there.... i'm not sure if my customer did 280kph at the ring but they were in the area when they did that speed, more a point that the Ed30 can do 280kph than anything else....

at the end of the lap there is a big long straight, you can go quite quickly there
I would have thought that the big barrier in the middle of that straight would impede progress; it's the one with the queue of cars stopping at the ticket machine prior to doing another lap.

RH

nah you're going so fast then that you can fly straight over it ;)

Many thanks for sharing that, flanaia1! :rock:

That's of those track-prepped rentals, I guess, seeing at it's a local car?
Looks like you had tremendous fun there, and some fine weather.

We had a rain soaked Nordschliefe when we went in July :rolleyes:

Darren

Many thanks for sharing that, flanaia1! :rock:

That's of those track-prepped rentals, I guess, seeing at it's a local car?
Looks like you had tremendous fun there, and some fine weather.

We had a rain soaked Nordschliefe when we went in July :rolleyes:

Darren

Glorius weather 35 degrees at times, too hot really, glad it was a rental as it certainly had a warm motor, only did 2 laps at a time so it could cool down and we did not trash it, hope it's the same when we return next year

A Gti Edition30 (230bhp model) can do more than 150mph for sure (It has no speed limit and it's not even on the rev limit in 5th doing 150mph with 1 gear to go) and i heard of another doing 280kph earlier in the week round the 'ring (modfiied car though ;) ) are you sure it was the Ed30 model?

European versions are definitely limited to 250 kph and I thought UK variants were limited to 150 mph? I agree it would go some more but it's not particularly fast getting there when you are at the top end, theres a couple of places on the circuit where you can hit 160 - 170 mph assuming you have the machinery under you to do it and more importantly to stop it. Fastest part of the circuit is the main straight but as rightly pointed out it has speed limits and a mobile ticket barrier in the middle so this is not the place for going fast on a public session but it is on a closed session. Car was definitely the Ed 30 model. A modified version could probably squirt 280 kph but not for very long and would have to have sub 4sec 0 -60 accelaration otherwise there would be no straights long enough to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom