Golf R

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunB, Jul 9, 2019.

1. ShaunB

ShaunB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
    It seems like there are shed loads of these on the roads now.
    Sadly around where I live, most appear to be driven by dickheads who just seem to constantly change gears
    Many would appear to have stupid exhaust modification which just make them sound pathetic in my opinion.

Perhaps VW were knocking out very cheap deals

MrRight, Londonscottish and SG1 like this.
  2. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    To be fair, they’re just a new generation - who would have driven whatever performance bargain was around 5/10/20 years ago or whatever.

Was probably Fast Fords in the old days, then Subaru’s and stuff like that.

C63s used to get a bad rep in the day? And even on here we have more than a fair share of cars with modified exhaust systems etc - can’t put the blame solely on the car :)

3. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ^^ Yep, the sort that think that the rest of the world wants to listen to every flex of their right ankle (I'm as interested in that as I am your wrist action). Poor sods, they'd be better with wipers on the inside of the screen.

4. Abb

Abb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes
    Folk up my way say the same about the C63! You only have to look at how many members on this forum own one of those to know it is not the case. You can't blame the car for the owner it ends up with.

Cyclone1 likes this.
  5. unimog

unimog Member

Car:
    Incoming....
    Cheap lease deals, I think you can get the run out model now for about £245 per month. A lot of car for the money. In South Yorkshire/North East Derbyshire this car and the S3 are the weapon of choice for the local penii.

Some cars attract bell ends, BMW ownership has been safe for at least 10 years since the RS4 came along.

Never got on with either of these cars to be honest. I don't believe the build quality is anymore teutonic than Mercedes' offerings, the ride is harsh especially on poor surfaces, and the handling a bit numb even compared to the humble Focus. I know people rave about them and quite a few who switched into A35's have complained of build quality problems, the same problems I have seen in my short experience of both these cars, (harsh vibration through the steering in a brand new S3) but at the price point I don't think rattles and squeaks are an issue. These people clearly never owned and lived with Peugeot GTI's...

a111r and gaz_l like this.
  6. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    No perhaps about it, cheap lease deals aplenty. The EA888 is far from the most sonorous of engines to start with, and the owners forums obsession with exhaust mods for more upshift farts and overrun noise is akin to the discordant racket of someone falling over amid the orchestra.

The soundaktor that pipes noise into the cabin is frankly embarrassing, that was the first thing I switched off on the Cupra.

7. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    The last Golf R owner I met bought my E63, a middle aged reasonably wealthy businessman.

And someone down my road owns an RS4, had it for several years - a nice older gent who’s close to retirement age.

Shouldn’t always rely on stereotypes and although I concur there’s a fair few bellends driving Golf Rs I see plenty driving other popular cars on a daily basis. I guess Golf Rs attract attention and because they’re so popular it’s inevitable a fair few will end up in the hands of antisocials ;)

geraldrobins likes this.
  8. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:

^^This should be popular! :D

9. Bellow

Car:
    It is getting absurd. There was something that passed the house here a few weeks back that didn't just pop on the overrun but emitted something akin to constant machine gun fire while off throttle. The kids on their 50 and 125cc 2T bikes are easier on the ear - at least they are determined to use the throttle as means to move forwards, not as a random noise generator.
    Anyway, as the police (AFAIK) in this country have it in their gift to issue ASBOs and confiscate cars when ASBOs are breached - why aren't they?

Andy1a2b and Mrbottomend like this.
  10. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    You’ve only got to read the forums, members on here are routinely trying to make their own cars replicate this sound - ‘pops and bangs’, they really like it! :eek: :D

stwat and Abb like this.
  11. Bellow

Car:
    When it is an E or S Class they have... sometimes you have to admit you bought the wrong car. Or maybe the wife's choice in cars?...

12. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    It’s not for me, but I’m sure there’s a CLS63 on here that makes the aforementioned racket! :)

13. OP
    OP
    ShaunB

Car:
    I've seen 7 or 8 today in a relatively short space of time I might add - 90 mins max.
    Probably half of the drivers wore baseball caps, and its not even sunny where I am today, funnily enough, those wearing the caps seemed to be the ones that were forever changing gears.
    Seems to be hard acceleration with quick changes, then some downshifts.
    One bellend at the traffic lights decided to rev his car several times to allow us all to hear his pops and bangs, very decent of him that was.

MrRight and Mrbottomend like this.
  14. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    To be fair, even MB are guilty of making the newer stuff a little antisocial. Compared to the old school AMGs - ‘speak softly and carry a big stick’, since the quad pipe ‘63s appeared they’ve become gradually noisier and more extrovert in character - a little shouty perhaps. My GL is pretty loud on cold start, and even my old E63 was a lot more raucous than the ‘55 range etc. Not what I’m keen on but if it sells cars...?

15. Craig010

Craig010 New Member

Car:
    E350 CDI Sport Coupe
    I think that's brilliant.

Each to thier own I say!

16. Bellow

Car:
    But it isn't 'their own' when we have no choice but hear it.
    (not a reference to the vid - more generally).

Pontoneer and Mrbottomend like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    ShaunB

Car:
    He's wearing a baseball cap too, perhaps its a mandatory requirement :)

18. unimog

unimog Member

Car:
    Incoming....
    Sound with power... that was the W212 E63 advert?

I'm all for a distinctive and charismatic engine note, that's why I have an old Mustang and C63s coming my way. But as was stated earlier, buy the right car in the first place. I had a modified 205 GTI in the day but it most certainly didn't have a fart can exhaust because the engine sounded a bit naff anyway, and it was more about getting away quick and not falling off the road (which it inevitably did thanks to lift off over steer, hence the stereotype).

Subaru's were famous for it 10-15 years ago, at least it was a distinctive sound before people started with anti lag systems and huuuuuge exhaust pipes.

19. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    The difference being that the noises come as a side effect of the extensive tuning and being driven hard, I'm pretty sure Arthur didn't set out specifically for a flatulent exhaust note first and foremost even while bimbling to the shops.

It might help if the powerplant itself was more aurally pleasing, but it simply isn't.

Bellow likes this.
  20. Bellow

Car:
    Maybe the don't like blow-off valve whoosh anymore and have to drown it out.... I wonder what will happen when they tire of the Rice Krispies re-map racket.

unimog likes this.