Golf R

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunB, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    Pops and crackles are the modern equivalent of dump valves from the 90s.

Every teenage boy racers wet dream.

Has everyone forgotten about the flamer kits that were popular a while back? :D

What about the neon light brigade? Or washer jet LEDs :eek:

2. Craig010

Craig010 Member

Car:
    E350 CDI Sport Coupe
    Agreed. I wasn't specifically noting the exhaust note, more the individuality the gent has shown though the modifications done to his car, giving whats normally a pretty dull but competent car a bit of personality, somthing severely lacking in most modern cars IMO.

The particular 4 cylinder in the Golf R (and everything else its fitted in) isn't the nicest sounding engine, no matter what exhaust you fit unfortunately...

3. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    The same charge was levelled at the W204 C63 10 year ago, hence it’s similar “hooligan” label.

Because the Golf R is even cheaper than the C63 was, it’s no surprise to see so many about.

stwat likes this.
  4. RSTurbo50

RSTurbo50 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 BMW M135i
    I agree that the majority that drive these are anti social types. I did look at them but that 4 cylinder turbo exhaust note did nothing for me. As a result I bought a far superior BMW M135i, facelift model. It’s mated to the excellent 8 speed autobox and had a 3 litre 6 cylinder turbo engine. It’s an absolute joy to drive. 0-60 in 4.7 seconds and it will happily drive nice and easily when you’re after a relaxing drive. On the other hand if you’re after a blast along some country lanes, very few cars get close to its performance.

5. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    Almost all the current crop of hot hatches have far more to give than one could possibly exploit on the road. In the wet the awd cars will have the traction advantage, and will be "easier" to drive quickly. The BMW chassis becomes unhappy once you push beyond ~80% but it's the flaws that give them character and how they feel is more important - there's no challenge if it comes too easy.

Unfortunately the USP of the baby BMW is now gone with the upcoming model, more's the shame.

RSTurbo50 likes this.
  6. RSTurbo50

Car:
    2015 BMW M135i
    Absolutely Doodle. BMW are replacing the 6 cylinder performance 1 Series with a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine. That alone would put me off. And have you seen pictures of the upcoming M135i? It’s hideous and too big in my opinion. Mine has real character and is pretty understated in terms of how it looks but that does me fine. The way it delivers the power though and did I mention the noise it makes???

7. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    Yes, it's hideous, my friend at BMW has nicknamed it "The Westbrook" :D

I've spent time with the 135, and the 140i would have been on the cards after the demise of the Audi but the sums didn't add up

8. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    I have to say I was disappointed with the sound of the exhaust system I had put on my SL .

When I bought the car it had a non standard noisy system in mild steel , which was starting to rust anyway , so I went back to PD Gough in Nottingham , who had made the system for my W126 , with which I was delighted .

On collecting the car at the end of the day , it sounded lovely and quiet whilst idling , but once I got onto the M1 heading home I found that much above 50 and with any amount of throttle, there is a loud resonance in the system which penetrates the cabin and is extremely wearing after a while . It does make me be light on the throttle, which is good for fuel consumption, but I’d prefer the car to be quieter .

In fairness, I have a lifetime warranty on the system , and I did phone them the next day about it , so I can either take the car back down and they will alter it , or I can remove the centre box ( their suggestion) and ship it down for alteration . My preference would be to take it back , but being a 300 mile journey and overnight stay I just haven’t got round to it yet .

9. Scott_F

Scott_F Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Personally I still can't see what was wrong with a green sun visor above the windscreen with "DAVE" and "TRACY" written on it.

It would make your Hillman Avenger go quicker and made no noise at all.

And it looked ace.

stwat, Pontoneer and oldguy57 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    ShaunB

ShaunB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
    Good ad

"You get the fcuk out of the way"

Neiltodd and Bobby Dazzler like this.
  11. oldguy57

oldguy57 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Now various and sundry
    One of those definitely, together with 6' fibreglass whip aerial.

12. Pontoneer

Car:
    And if you dumped Tracy , you could lose the T and just be racy Dave :-D

kianok likes this.
  13. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

unimog likes this.
  14. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    To me that huge grille makes it look like an SUV.

15. HB

HB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
    In realty, a Golf R is the only car you’ll ever need, it does everything so blooming well.... I’m gonna have to get one eventually.

In the words of a serious serious chav/ned I came across in at the petrol station “ it’s the best fookin getaway car bro but only if it’s wearing 18s”

MrRight and millc63 like this.
  16. Pontoneer

Car:
    A Golf R is something I'd never heard of until I saw this thread the other day .

Just saw one on the M74 as it rasped past me in the 50 mph section just before it joins the M8 ; then just a couple of miles further on , where the 50 limit ends and it goes to 70 , this BMW convertible 'wannabe SL' thing with 'M' badge and farting exhaust sat alongside me as if to say 'listen to me' ; I was distinctly unimpressed .

Anyway , I go a long way back with VW , have a great affinity with the marque , even though I had mostly air-cooled models , and more recently , ran Polos as daily drivers alongside my Mercs . Besides that , I had a series 1 Audi 100GL , later an LS , and after that I worked , for a time for VAG , and had company cars which ranged form Mk II Golfs , through Passat GL5's to a full blown Quattro . My sister , too , has been a lifelong VW fan , from air-cooled through to her current Golf SL .

While my main enthusiasm is for MB , I still like VAG products . Golfs , I admit , in my personal experience , go from Mk1 to Mk II , LS , GL , GTI ... then Golf N ( Normal : basic version ) , Formel E ( the one that would stall at traffic lights ) yadayadaYADA ....

Then they made compression ignition ones - YUK .

So I'm still not sure where the R comes in . Is it a boy racer special ? All show and no go ?

I just don't know , and couldn't care less .

17. RSTurbo50

Car:
    2015 BMW M135i
    It’s a very capable machine but I struggle to see why anyone would buy one over a BMW M135i/M140i

18. OP
    OP
    ShaunB

Car:
    Make sure to get a baseball cap too :)

19. Pontoneer

Car:
    Many people , myself included, would just never wish to own a BMW .

MrRight and millc63 like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    ShaunB

Car:
    Indeed so, personally I find them the dullest, most boring car. The interiors are like dish water.

MrRight likes this.