Golf R

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunB, Jul 9, 2019.

1. rayaans

rayaans Active Member

Car:
    C180
    OP, Ive noticed the main cars around West Yorkshire driven by the local knobs are Golf R's and Audi S3's. The pre-facelift W204 C63 appears to be amongst there too although with rising fuel cost prices and insurance, its become less of a default choice for local scum. Golf R's and S3's can be had for less than £300 a month on some lease deals and many of these youngsters appear to live from paycheck to paycheck anyway which can probably be assumed by seeing these fancy cars outside houses worth maybe 2.5x in value.

A trip to Bradford for a meal for example is always eventful with Great Horton Road being the breeding ground of EA888 VAG engines and rattle-can exhausts.

I think the M135I/M140I, as well as the latest M3/M4 have stayed immune to this - probably because they require a bit more driving talent than some of the other cars where you can simply push the throttle to the floor and point the steering wheel in the direction you want to go. Lets face it, some of these drivers aren't the brightest on the road and one can probably assume they're hand/foot/eye co-ordination is equally as atrocious to drive anything powerful in RWD format.

MrRight and HB like this.
  2. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Sorry, but I won't try and get a Vin# for a non MB.
    Please try a BMW forum or one of the pay sites if you need it before buying the car.

merc85 likes this.
  3. unimog

unimog Active Member

Car:
    Incoming....
    This isn't the way the market is going, Mercedes produced the C350e to fill this market, granted it was a petrol but it was a pretty driveable car and much more economical too. The diesel is dead as fried chicken as far as passenger cars are concerned, even the new 1 series is front wheel drive and so far has not been confirmed to be getting even the 6 cylinder petrol engine.

The old Merc 240 diesel sounded like a nail, but it was as reliable as sunrise and sunset. The 2.1 diesel is much the same. And it doesn't have swirl flaps which randomly fall off and wreck the engine...

merc85 and MrRight like this.
  4. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d AMG Line P+ Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Would have been nice to have a V6 diesel option, but alas not and didn't really want to stretch to a C43, so ended up 'stuck' with a C250d. Might not be something you'd want to drive, but I like it.

MrRight likes this.
  5. c63chris

c63chris Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
    Have to say the 35d engine is sublime. So much so I question the need for my SL63. Just done 2000 miles round Europe. Most on the autobahn at ridiculous speed and still averaged 41 mpg for the whole trip At 155 it still shows double digit mpg! Its th reason I don't have a c Class anymore.

MrRight and RSTurbo50 like this.
  6. MrRight

MrRight Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 C63s Estate + BMW E46 M3 convertible+smart 44 brabus sport
    I wouldn't touch the 335d with a stick when there is a v6 petrol out there, ie the C43.
    it recently surprised me that merc have been outselling bmw now. As a passenger I'd mostly prefer to sit in a merc. In all the many times I have sat in various cars , merc has the comfort aspect covered rather well (maybe not on the previous A class though). Behind the wheel is a different matter. I have no real preference for one brand of any kind from another and I'll buy the car that works best for me. I've been close to buying a few porsches , jaguar's and even audis over the last few years. I would seriously consider the jag if I wanted a 3 litre v6 diesel too alongside the bmw. maybe one day I'll see the light and then at least not scowl at my fuel gauge as often.

Talking about engines, the v8 in the c63 is far far ahead of the 6 pot in the M. have you had the opportunity to drive the M4 or the c63? If you had , and putting the bland styling of the AMG aside , the AMG is a riot to drive. the M car is dull and annoying and needs to be pushed too hard to put and grin on my face. The set up of each car is very different. the M is doing what it does as being a sports car, the AMG in this application is doing the luxury daily driver first and foremost so I dont think they're going the same path here. the styling says it all. I think AMG missed a trick here on the saloon especially and the wagon too to be fair but when I sit behind one, I begin to understand. It is luxury focussed , the M is sport focused. In a country like the UK I expect the M to far outsell the AMG. Brand loyalty goes a long way.

At the heart of each is the engine .The AMG M177 and M178 are by far the best current V8 engines on the market. They produce emissions of a 3 litre 6 cylinder and over 600hp out of the box in some models and monstrous torque. If they are good enough for Aston Martin , they're good enough for me.

I have 4 friends who got rid of their M4s within 6 months and I've driven one extensively and can see why. I love the styling of the BMW. But the sharp cornering cant make up for its pitfalls and the terribly nervous handling is a shame. If I wasnt worried about ending up in a hedge , I wouldn't mind the M car. I quite like a car that keeps me on my toes , but the reward factor unfortunately is absent. maybe this car shines on a track. On the road, I'm not so sure.

Also the brakes disappointed me a bit. it's a shame because I wanted an F series m3 (4 doors) but then BMW produced this car and AMG produced something far more interesting, fun and entertaining. At the same time , more comfort and far easier to cruise and live with and the distronic system is immense, a 5 year old c class model that practically drives itself on the motorway if you want to do 300+ miles a day, no problem. Then there is composure , despite the silly torque on the AMG, it does wet weather far better too I think. BMW have a fair bit ofwork to do on the next gen M3 IMO.

7. HB

HB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
    Our C63 has a terrible ride around town - urban. The M3 although being immensely capable and quick is a bore with a rubbish exhaust noise. However, it’s the M3 that rides like a luxury car though ....

MrRight likes this.
  8. MrRight

MrRight Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 C63s Estate + BMW E46 M3 convertible+smart 44 brabus sport
    maybe the estate is a bit softer in comfort damping mode. After around 2k miles , the suspension really started to soften dramatically . I could probably live with the M ride quality especially on 19 inch rims but it certainly is sportier and stiffer. avoid a car with 20s.
    in a way the M division was dealt a poor hand with having to go turbo, and six. the 3 series body is way to big and has stretched to be the size of a 5 series of old. M division have always done great things like use lightweight materials and carbon roofs etc. I think also consumer preference forces some less than ideal constraints as does average strategic governance. The new 3 series seems very good indeed (except it is bigger than the outgoing model again ) with some clever features , though the implementation as per usual is good but not excellent on some of the newer tech like the UX and the digital dash. overall , if an alfa or a c63s didnt exist then the M3 would still be the king , but alas, it isnt anymore. so now it is just one of a few models that are at a similar level.

M have more or less addressed the poor sound of their cars of late with some marked improvements. they addressed the brittle ride quality on the M3/4 by being surprisingly soft and liveable on the M5, so they are making progress again in the right direction. They may hit the ball out of the park with the new m3 too which would bring them back to the summit especially if it undercuts the price of the current c63 facelift.

9. OP
    OP
    ShaunB

ShaunB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
    Another car which I see loads of on the roads these days is the Jaguar XF/XE.