Gollom's tyre saga - the finale!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Thanks for everybody's help with my recent Tale-of-Woe regarding odd wheel sizes! Thanks to a brilliant dealer, a resolution has been reached. Jay at @Mercland is an absolute diamond. What other trader do you know would help out over 3 years after I bought the car from him? Jay found a set of 17" AMG that have been freshly powder coated and have very good tyres which he let me have at a very keen price - pic below. I did worry that the 1" reduction would leave the arches looking a little empty, but not at all.
Also a big shout out to Mick at F&M powder coating - Preston who put up with all the hassle & effective loss of business. If you are anywhere near Preston and need wheels doing, I urge you to speak to them
Final question - how do I establish the correct tyre pressures as the wheels are now 17" and not 18"? I love this forum!!

IMG_20230607_150013.jpg

Thanks for everybody's help with my recent Tale-of-Woe regarding odd wheel sizes! Thanks to a brilliant dealer, a resolution has been reached. Jay at @Mercland is an absolute diamond. What other trader do you know would help out over 3 years after I bought the car from him? Jay found a set of 17" AMG that have been freshly powder coated and have very good tyres which he let me have at a very keen price - pic below. I did worry that the 1" reduction would leave the arches looking a little empty, but not at all.
Also a big shout out to Mick at F&M powder coating - Preston who put up with all the hassle & effective loss of business. If you are anywhere near Preston and need wheels doing, I urge you to speak to them
Final question - how do I establish the correct tyre pressures as the wheels are now 17" and not 18"? I love this forum!!

View attachment 141899
Tyre pressures should be the same as 18's. I usually just go 35 PSI all round you won't be far out at that 🫡

Mine on 17's for normal load use is 30 front 32 rear, IIRC that's what it says on the fuel filler flap!

View attachment 141899
Looking good!
You get away with the reduction in wheel diameter with the Sport as it sits quite low on the suspension. It should ride a tad nicer now too. I always thought MB "over-egged the pudding" a bit with the staggered 18's and rubber band profile tyres on these cars.
And kudos to Jay for going the extra mile. 👏

I always thought those 6 spokes were one of the best designs. Good outcome.

Excellent result - the car looks great, and well done to Jay. As mentioned stick with the placarded pressures inside the filler flap.

Changing the wheel diameter alone doesn't alter how well the arches are filled (or not) as the overall diameter of the wheel & tyre will be the same ... otherwise the speedometer would be wrong! There's a slight difference visually with more wheel and less tyre, but this is small with a 1" change. Of course the style (and colour) of rims play a part in the appearance as well, even for the same size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom