Gone against the tide...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGBlack

Car
E63S (Black)
Gents,

It has been a while since I posted, and lots of happened in the last few years but I always have my daily read of the forums.

I used to own a CLK63 Blackseries, but after 65,000 miles it was starting to scream "its going to cost you", which was confirmed by having to dig deep for a new axle, discs and other bits in one hit. Not much change from 10K.

So I traded it in for a C63 and a sedate E350 coupe.
Loved them both, but after being spoilt with the CLK Black, the C63 wasn't just enough, yes I should have had the PP one, but I felt like a change (only after 4,000 miles) .. and I wanted more grunt!

So, my local dealership obtained (as I love the 6.2's) a late E63 with performance pack and all the toys (including rear blind!) lol. And boy does it shift.

So against the grain of what appears to be people scrambling for C63's I went with an E63 with Performance pack (around 547bhp) that in a straight line ripples the tarmac ...

Oh and the added bonus, the number plate had AMG on it. . nice :)

So did I do the right thing, maybe.. but at least now I can scare the pants of my Parents and wife in the car at the same time.. All while being massaged, inflated and blown cold air on my buttocks at the same time. :eek:

So gents and ladies, did I do the right thing.. and should I be mindful of any hidden issues with the E63..

Attachments

• E83 800 by 600.jpg
    E83 800 by 600.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 122
You absolutely did right, though I'm not aware that Performance Pack gives c547bhp.

Some trim, LSD, taughter suspension - all great stuff :thumb:.

Mine has been ace so far, every second of it.

Last edited:
Couldn't go wrong mate, I love mine :D and I know you'll love owning yours :thumb:

How do you feel the performance compares to the C? I will be changing mine soon and am not sure which way to go. Would quite like to try the new 63 with the TT. Maybe the S!

I stand corrected and the news is even better.

"it (PP) also raises the engine's output to 557hp" :thumb:.

How do you feel the performance compares to the C? I will be changing mine soon and am not sure which way to go. Would quite like to try the new 63 with the TT. Maybe the S!

Well, good question.
I had the C63 125 Edition, so not the PP version. Now the E63 is heavier, but with a fair amount of extra horses over the standard C63.

I feel that in a straight line (backed up with Merc's own stats) the standard C63 is around 4.3 secs 0-60 while the E63 PP is showing as 4.1 secs. Not much more, but if you launched a yourself of the line in a big 4 seater compared to a more nimble 2 door coupe I think the impression it gives you, is like .. :eek:

Imagine 60 knots in a speedboat or 60 knots in an Aircraft Carrier, I know which one would have me thinking OMG lol.. :D

From a Feb 2012 brochure.

E63s on say a 10 plate can be had for around £30k, which seems to be simlar money, year for year, to a C63

I often ask myself what I would possibly replace the C63 with, and the E63 seems to be s trong contendor.....

Please do post your opinions on the differences between the C and the E........I guess the E is more grown up and slightly newer in design...but whats it like to drive in comparison?

An upgrade to an E63 estate is definitely on the cards for me later in the year. Still want the grunt, but keen for a more refined interior and more space for the kids

Agreed. Your opinions on driveability/handling/everyday use would be appreciated.

E63s on say a 10 plate can be had for around £30k, which seems to be simlar money, year for year, to a C63

I often ask myself what I would possibly replace the C63 with, and the E63 seems to be s trong contendor.....

Please do post your opinions on the differences between the C and the E........I guess the E is more grown up and slightly newer in design...but whats it like to drive in comparison?

Without doubt the inside of the E63 is massively superior to that of the C63.
Massage seats, comfort seats, LSD, Blinds, Pano, wood trim, you name it is a much better place (not withstanding the multi front loading CD) and a command that works with a Samsung S4 lol. :thumb:

As for driving I found the C63 to be well planted and fun, the E63 the first time I went to overtake and using the paddles in second gear (around 5K RPM) made me swear. . Hells teeth it surprised me. . comfort seats needed. :roll eyes:

Sure it will roll more in the corners, not much though but when you overtake normally you are going pretty straight and having an aircraft carrier fly past with that awesome noise can't help but make you smile much more than the C63 did.

Good call, the black you had was lovely, but the e63 is a beast too

Shocked to hear this, Rob :(

I would have kept a tight grip on that Black.

You seem happy with the E though.
So that's good.

Hope you are well.

:thumb:

The CLK Black needed a new axle after 65k miles?!!

Shocked to hear this, Rob :(

I would have kept a tight grip on that Black.

You seem happy with the E though.
So that's good.

Hope you are well.

:thumb:

Hi Rash, good to hear from you.
Yes indeed, and being honest when I walked away after selling my Black, I did as crazy as it sounds get a little emotional.

But I have promised myself a S63 Couple when it comes out, so watch out lol.
(Or an SLS Black) :eek:

The CLK Black needed a new axle after 65k miles?!!

Believe it or not, it was the second one it needed.

The first one went at 25K miles, but was still under warranty so that was okay, but when the next one went I came to the conclusion that it had a design flaw and enough was enough as a few other little "issues" were starting to surface.

I dont think a "Blackseries" is driven for as long and as many miles as I was putting on it, and as such not tested like a mass produced machine perhaps.

Lovely car the new one you have there. Enjoy!

Understand on the black series, Clarkson is probably the only other fella to put as many miles on as you? He still has his IIRC.

I just have a question about PErformance Pack.... I didn't know it existed. Below from wiki:

The optional AMG Performance Package includes lightweight, forged 19-inch AMG light-alloy wheels with 255/35R19 front and 285/30R19 rear tires, stiffer suspension, a limited-slip differential, a special three-spoke sport steering wheel, and a reprogramming of the electronic top speed limiter to 300 km/h (190 mph) from 250 km/h (160 mph). The 6.2L V8 has 518 hp (386 kW) 465 lb·ft (630 N·m) and will go from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.3 seconds.[citation needed]

Are they really more powerful?

Just a question for my own knowledge... thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom