Gonna stop MB Servicing / Mobilo - what's the best break down service to go with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi all,

As title really - I've never used Mobilo but nice to have as a safety net, included in the £39 / month on the MB Service Plan.

What breakdown service do you recommend? Any good deals you know of?

Cheers,

Ed

I've only had experience of using the RAC once, but they are quick to respond and have ties with Mercedes (Mobilo attended to by RAC)
There was an offer recently for 50% off membership, and a reduced price with the AA as well. Both recruiting new members for winter no doubt. I don't know if they are still offering these reduced prices.

I've had to do the same recently, i'm now covered with RAC based on my friends experiences being very positive.

Mobilo was great though!

What breakdown cover do you require?

Europe wide or UK only?
Homestart?
Onward journey?
Car hire?
The policy holder in Any car or any driver in the car?

Hi all,

As title really - I've never used Mobilo but nice to have as a safety net, included in the £39 / month on the MB Service Plan.

What breakdown service do you recommend? Any good deals you know of?

Cheers,

Ed
I’ve a 3 year old merc and because I wanted to avoid software update I cancelled service plan and look after car myself and use local garage for stuff I can’t do , so to that end I went with green flag which use local recovery agents that a close to where you break down , as I’m never really more than an hour from home I thought this was the way to go . On a side note I used to be a aa patrol and sore the good and bad from the aa but also heard horror story’s from customers that used to be with rac and Greenflag and switched , there all as good and bad as each other so for me it was down to price and I payed £50 for relay ( national) , home start .

I’ve a 3 year old merc and because I wanted to avoid software update I cancelled service plan and look after car myself
No need to cancel a service plan if you don't want any software updates.
Just do as I did and ask the service manager not to apply any software updates unless OK'd beforehand.
I didn't want my remap wiped and told them as much.

Many members on here have had positive experiences with the aforementioned company. Excellent value also. 👍

I purchased roadside assistance for the Suzuki from the insurer (Aviva), it was ~£80 pa for their 'Rescue, Recovery & at Home' cover including home start, but not including onwards travel or European cover. It covers all named drivers on the car (there are currently 4 named drivers), and it is provided by the RAC.

Previously it had free roadside assistance from the AA via the main dealer service, though unlike Mobilo the free cover provided by Suzuki is only very basic and does not include home start etc, which I felt was no longer suitable for our needs and hence the enhanced cover from Aviva.

It is worth noting that I have so far never needed the services or roadside assistance (touch wood). I did break down, albeit rarely, but on all occasions, including flat tyres, I was eventually able to resume my journey on my own steam (I am not such a great mechanic, it's just that luckily the issues were simple to fix). On one occasion some 15 years ago I actually called-out Green Flag (free cover via my business credit card) due to flat battery, but managed to get the car started before they arrived so cancelled the call. I guess I was lucky. Having a well-maintained car does help, obviously, but it is no guarantee against breakdowns and no substitute for roadside assistance cover.

I have euro/UK breakdown “free” with a Nationwide joint account . Never used it though , others have Reported good things though

As an aside/small rant, there's a £48 cancellation fee to cancel the service plan... nice cars, but the dealer and service network are absolute scum bags....

As an aside/small rant, there's a £48 cancellation fee to cancel the service plan... nice cars, but the dealer and service network are absolute scum bags....
Quite a sweeping statement - what happened?

Well, mass incompetence at every single stage of my interaction with any and all dealers - that's why I'm cancelling the plan! But that's not what this thread is about ;)

Will look into these breakdown recommendations today - thanks!

We have the UK/European service with our Nationwide account. Its provided by Britannia and unlike many others will cover any age of vehicle in europe. We had to use it this summer in Italy when the 124 dumped its transmission oil onto the road. Service was excellent.

Presumably you read the T&Cs when you signed up so you knew there would be a cancellation charge?

It is only fair you compensate MB for breaking the agreed contract

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom