Good bye diesel cars ..will this make secondhand cars almost worthless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMO it's just a load of rubbish just another way to tax the general public any excuse to drain more money out of us!
Take off all the cars/trucks/vans/motor bikes off our roads and see what difference it makes
I'll tell what difference it will make...NONE maybe 0.000001% change that's really going to help isn't it
At the end of the day burn any fossil fuel and it's no good for the environment and for the people on this planet, nothing will change except we will just get taxed more and more
Diesil today petrol tomorrow!

Reading this makes me very glad I own a hybrid and lease a diesel!!

I wonder whether any government (or EU) agency will make up the loss of value THEY caused to diesel cars bought because THEY massively encouraged the purchase? :wallbash:

I wonder whether any government (or EU) agency will make up the loss of value THEY caused to diesel cars bought because THEY massively encouraged the purchase?

It was Tony Blair that encouraged Diesels and thought Iraq had WMD, but he has got away with it so far. :rolleyes:

Conspiracy theories abound - as usual. 'Make no difference'? 'Excuse to drain more money out of us'? If the EU hadn't taken a hand in implementing emission legislation a car of the size and performance you are now used to would still be delivering its fuel via carbs and returning 20mpg at best - not the 40mpg you easily see. Do you want to tot up what that has saved you financially?

Don't get me started on that war criminal Blair.... If I KNEW I could get away with it, I'd..... hmmm, best not said I think.. :D

Please tell me someone.. are DPF's not having the desired effect or is simply the volume of traffic in cities that cause the problem? Apparently there's supposed to be around 20,000 cabs and 12,000 diesel buses operating in the London area, why penalise car drivers? As for congestion charge and low emission zones.. they don't seem to be working either. Charging folk that have no option but to drive in London doesn't clean the air we breathe.

It was Tony Blair that encouraged Diesels

I think it was more likely Gordon Brown together with is underlings and pals (eg. Messrs Darling, Balls, and Milliband junior). Mr. Brown doesn't drive.

Don't get me started on that war criminal Blair....

The Kosovans maybe feel a bit different than you.

I would refrain from going as far as calling Mr Blair a war criminal. I don't think he stands in the same historical cess pit as may of those who I would deem to be war criminals.

However I would question his judgement and lack of respect for the people of the UK.

Bellow said:
Conspiracy theories abound - as usual. 'Make no difference'? 'Excuse to drain more money out of us'? If the EU hadn't taken a hand in implementing emission legislation a car of the size and performance you are now used to would still be delivering its fuel via carbs and returning 20mpg at best - not the 40mpg you easily see. Do you want to tot up what that has saved you financially?
The tech was already being used in other applications just was too expensive to be used in cars prices came down making it more widely available for the motor industry It was always going to happen as tech moved on as with everything else EU just moved it faster
Saved me money hmm with the price of fuel and road tax compared to when cars were running on carbs don't think there is any saving at all!!

Last edited:
The French and thre EU buy diesels as the fuel is cheaper and more MPG like it was in the UK untill the goverment realised how much money threy were losing and up'ed the diesel tax making 1 liter around 10p more than unleaded.

What's a diesel car? don't tell me they now make cars that run on oil! Who would buy such a thing? you'll be telling me they do colour TV next.;)

I have already jumped ship guys

I was driving a 5.0ltr V10 diesel and saw this news over a month ago

The government CANT increase the price of diesel fuel as it will effect every product we buy and effect every company running vans

What they will do is whack up the road tax for diesel cars to price Joe public and company car drivers back into petrol vehicles

The Kosovans maybe feel a bit different than you.

I would refrain from going as far as calling Mr Blair a war criminal. I don't think he stands in the same historical cess pit as may of those who I would deem to be war criminals.

However I would question his judgement and lack of respect for the people of the UK.
Point taken, but leading us into a needless, criminal (IMO) war by total fabrication of the facts must stand him pretty close to the cess pit...

Anyway, MBClub is not the right place for these discussions I guess! :)

The tech was already being used in other applications just was too expensive to be used in cars prices came down making it more widely available for the motor industry It was always going to happen as tech moved on as with everything else EU just moved it faster

Much faster. There would have been no incentive for OEMs to push it along and add the costs to the showroom sticker price.

Saved me money hmm with the price of fuel and road tax compared to when cars were running on carbs don't think there is any saving at all!!

Are you still paid what you were in the days of carbs? No, and if you look at it historically the price of a gallon of petrol has almost always been the same price as one hour of (lowest paid) labour. My VED costs £30pa - it has never been cheaper.

Bellow said:
Much faster. There would have been no incentive for OEMs to push it along and add the costs to the showroom sticker price. Are you still paid what you were in the days of carbs? No, and if you look at it historically the price of a gallon of petrol has almost always been the same price as one hour of (lowest paid) labour. My VED costs £30pa - it has never been cheaper.
Hmm not by much as fuel injection has been in cars for over 30 years now

So what your telling me the people that were having protests over fuel cost are wrong then?

Wayne.clk said:
Hmm not by much as fuel injection has been in cars for over 30 years now So what your telling me the people that were having protests over fuel cost are wrong then?
still doesn't answer for the rising road tax though
At the end of the day we will be taxed heavily for owning car beit petrol or diesel Just waiting for the day when they find a reason to tax electric cars, they aren't truly green cars are they? Still put emission into the atmosphere not directly admittedly but the energy has to come from somewhere to charge the batteries...power stations that burn fossil fuel!!

Last edited:
What they will do is whack up the road tax for diesel cars to price Joe public and company car drivers back into petrol vehicles

The Government said before the election there would be no additional VED rises for diesel engine vehicles, so I doubt this will happen. :p

The Government said before the election there would be no additional VED rises for diesel engine vehicles, so I doubt this will happen. :p

They can do other things.

eg. change fuel duty, change VAT rate on diesel fuel, add a purchase tax to diesels, introduce emissions zones that exclude diesels, look at road charging, change MOT rules for diesels to make them more onerous and frequent, change VED on new cars only, and so on ....

The issue in London has a lot to do with the older black cabs, the older buses and the white van man.

The issue in London has a lot to do with the older black cabs, the older buses and the white van man.

They could do a lot worse than enforcing the law (CUR1986, 98) for those people who sit with their engines running whilst parked (not stationary in traffic) for comfort or convenience i.e. powering electrical gadgets, aircon etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom