Good bye diesel cars ..will this make secondhand cars almost worthless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like I'll have to scrap the Audi :(

Good job it's on contract hire :)

I don't think they will be able to change things quickly, as it'll have such a massive effect on people with diesel cars

I don't think they will be able to change things quickly, as it'll have such a massive effect on people with diesel cars
No I think your right ,but we are dictated to by Europe and France are trying to ban diesel fuel

Last edited:
How are France going to do that? Diesel is cheaper than petrol in France and they export thousands of Diesel engines to other brands

I'd never buy a diesel again in case I got stuck with it, that said mine has no DPF/adblue and I decided years ago never to buy one with either, I'd love to change my van but no longer can I purchase a petol van..

To be honest as a cyclist and motorcyclist I hate diesels, although its usually the ones that are more than about 3 years old or so that appear to be emitting the most soot

Simple solution is just to use duty to shift the pricing to get the desired effect.

The risk is that the UK diesel market is a bit like a bubble - it might pop instead of simply contract.

To be honest as a cyclist and motorcyclist I hate diesels, although its usually the ones that are more than about 3 years old or so that appear to be emitting the most soot

As a daily motorcycle user I agree but it's the diesel that they drop on the road that I particularly hate as I've already slid down the road once due to a spillage.

Having recently replaced my car I had the petrol/diesel decision to make. DPF's were a major turn off although Mercedes seem to have done it vastly better than many manufacturers. I chose a petrol C180K Blue Efficiency and have been astonished how good the fuel consumption is. If all the small engine kompressor/turbo cars are as good as this the diesel advantage has been substantially diminished.

Does this includes, vans, lorries, and (non-electric) trains....?

I recently purchased a diesel estate as I couldn't find a petrol equivalent in terms of mpg, low road tax and low parking permit which I pay at my address and is based on Co2 values. Generally diesel owners do not have current equivelents to change over to and I suspect most are also tied by financial restraints as is the norm for a majority of folk. I noticed that manufacturers are now addressing the issue and producing some very economical petrol vehicles but it will be several years until they become affordable as second hand purchases. In the meantime, I take some solace in the fact that lots of new diesels are still being manufactured and sold so I feel that the changeover may be slower than anticipated, but I certainly don't relish the fact that my vehicle may be a danger to health. I would like to drive something less harmful but with government and local council greed (parking for a stationary vehicle charged on Co2??) it will be a while until I can make the change.

I'd never buy a diesel again in case I got stuck with it, that said mine has no DPF/adblue and I decided years ago never to buy one with either, I'd love to change my van but no longer can I purchase a petol van..

Same for me - I'm very reluctant to get involved with DPFs etc.

We usually buy new and keep cars in the family for a long time and even 4 years ago when we added a Golf I refused to consider diesel.

Was reading about someone who wants a new Discovery Sport with a petrol engine but Land Rover don't offer one at all in the UK - although they do in Ireland.

Was reading about someone who wants a new Discovery Sport with a petrol engine but Land Rover don't offer one at all in the UK - although they do in Ireland.

I think the large manufacturer can shift their UK ranges to quite easily given that they offer petrol models in other markets where diesel is less popular.

I would guess in the US that BMW and MB don't shift many diesel cars.

As always with these things, there is knee jerk reaction and no joined up thinking. For example, at least twice this year that I can recollect, warnings were made about pollution clouds being blown over from the continent; keep the young and frail indoors etc. Then there is the ludicrous situation of NO2 levels plummeting when there was a bus strike in Oxford Street (a measuring point); no doubt it would be similar if taxis were banned for a day.

No, the general motorist is always the easy target and we will pay the price for government incompetence, poor planning, the foaming green mouths and disjointed thinking as always. All this against the backdrop of what is happening in the rest of the world where China has now usurped USA as the world's biggest polluter. Yet the tiny, tiny percentage of what we produce in global terms is calamitous. Idiots of the first order, the lot of them, the mealy mouthed and the incendiary.

Right, getting off the high horse by using the soap box as a step……..and normal service is resumed.

The UK could ban all diesel and petrol cars and the effect on the environment would be negligible to nought as long as China and their kind continue as they are. Europe needs a way to make more money and an easy target are car owners.

The UK could ban all diesel and petrol cars and the effect on the environment would be negligible to nought as long as China and their kind continue as they are. Europe needs a way to make more money and an easy target are car owners.

The supposed issue is the impact of pollution diectly within our cities - so the context here is more about local pollution than global pollution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom