Good Cop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Honestly though, don't the police have better things to do than harrass motorists on a Friday night?

Remember, our taxes pay their salaries :cool:

I don't know the figures , but i would imagine there would be a higher incidence of drink driving on a friday and saturday night ... :confused:

I've got no worries with being pulled over on friday and saturday night on the way to and from work ....

I don't know the figures , but i would imagine there would be a higher incidence of drink driving on a friday and saturday night ... :confused:

I've got no worries with being pulled over on friday and saturday night on the way to and from work ....

Is it intelligent to spend police resources (and therefore TaxPayers' money) watching whether drivers are going through traffic lights 0.0000001 milliseconds after it turns red when there are huge increases in knife crime, gun crime, burgulary, muggings, car thefts, anti-social behaviour and assaults.

The police enjoy picking on motorists because they are the least likely to fight back and therefore an easy target; health and safety rules prevent the police from taking on criminals that might be dangerous ;)

Anyway, this could become political so I'll say no more.

Is it intelligent to spend police resources (and therefore TaxPayers' money) watching whether drivers are going through traffic lights 0.0000001 milliseconds after it turns red when there are huge increases in knife crime, gun crime, burgulary, muggings, car thefts, anti-social behaviour and assaults.

The police enjoy picking on motorists because they are the least likely to fight back and therefore an easy target; health and safety rules prevent the police from taking on criminals that might be dangerous ;)

There are sometimes when someone else writes exactly what you think.

My only disagreement is that she probably saw him cut the light by virtue of the fact she was there and not lying in wait for someone to cut it. They have camera's for the amber gamblers :devil:...as she had no evidence of the offence she didn't issue a ticket.

Thank **** for that. It's seriously boring hearing this repetative stuff all the time.

Police are paid to do a job, they do that..end of...

Last edited:
I agree that motorists are an easy target .

However , i also have no problem with them stopping motorists on any particular night ( as the OP said ) it was late , maybe it was even around pub kicking out time ?

As is generally well known , your judgement is clouded when you have a drink and get behind the wheel , it causes you to do things that you wouldn't normally do , like maybe go for a light that you would normally stop for ?

So , late night , friday night , a car jumps a light , surely that is reason enough to stop it , as there is a higher than average chance that the driver may be intoxicated ?

I am not suggesting for a minute that the OP was drunk BTW . :)

There's a lot of police bashing going on on this forum recently , it didn't used to be like that , i think they do a good job given the problems they have.

No problems with the police myself.

Was it not Graham C230K who once 'corrected' Plodd by stating that:-

1 Green means 'go'
2 Amber means 'go faster'

I still remember the thread.

Les

There's a lot of police bashing going on on this forum recently , it didn't used to be like that , i think they do a good job given the problems they have.
Agreed.
There definately has been a shift in members views. Either the existing members have decided to whinge and moan a lot for no good reason, or newer members have decided to pollute many threads with this negative tripe.
I'll let you decide which it is.

Either way, it's narrow minded and boring, and due to being opinion as opposed to fact is a never ending argument.

Was it not Graham C230K who once 'corrected' Plodd by stating that:-

1 Green means 'go'
2 Amber means 'go faster'

I still remember the thread.

Les

That I would love to have seen. It really doesn't mean that though otherwise portzy wouldn't have met that police lady and would have been home that bit sooner.

As has been said - they wouldn't have been sitting waiting for Portzy to run the light - simply they were there while going about their business. That's how many traffic and other offences are picked up on!

The police do not "pick on" motorists - they are simply one of the many groups of people that sadly require policing.

Unmarked was on nights this past Friday and Saturday night. Bearing in mind he's one of the cops who sit by traffic lights waiting for people to run the red :rolleyes: - he was two hours late home on Saturday morning after locking up a young vandal causing damage to town centre property at 6.20am Saturday morning - hardly a traffic offence. He could have quite easily said he couldn't find the scum as he was due off within 40 minutes and no one would have been any the wiser - but no - spotted the kid and chased him and picked him up. Also that night he dealt with two domestics - one a knife wielding crazy loon. This in addition to many other incidents and jobs.

Saturday night in just one of his many jobs that night, locked up 3 scrotes from West Yorkshire for stealing a car in West Yorks and pulling it into Harrogate. He found the car that had been well hidden complete with the occupants. Further domestics and drunk drivers etc etc.

So the comments made above really make me angry. Yes some police are not brill at their job, but that's no different to any other job, public or private sector. But the majority work very hard and work beyond their normal range of duties to deliver a good service to the general public and also doing exactly what you say you want them to do. Just because they also do some of the things you don't want them to do............because they might just catch you ;)

Saturday night in just one of his many jobs that night, locked up 3 scrotes from West Yorkshire for stealing a car in West Yorks and pulling it into Harrogate. He found the car that had been well hidden complete with the occupants. Further domestics and drunk drivers etc etc.

He should have left that job as involving a car it is clearly a traffic related incident... ;) :rolleyes:

To be fair, she wasnt lying in wait for me. The junction she was at, and stationary, was a T junction and was to my right. Just along the road from here is the second largest police station in Bradford and she was probably en-route from there to home?, another crime?, maybe?.

Honestly, I had not a single drop of alcohol all night and I have no reason to state otherwise, despite the company that I was in suggesting just a small one wouldnt harm I was on tonic and lime all night. The nearest I got to something shall we say "harder" was the keema vindaloo at the K2 restaurant on Lumb Lane.

All in all, the whole episode only lasted maybe five minutes and she was a very very nice WPC. Got to be carefull here but, she certainly wasnt a fresh faced recruit but neither was she a Juliet Bravo type either, in fact, she was right up my street if I'm honest, (pretty much literally it turns out:eek:).

Portzy.

Last edited:
As has been said - they wouldn't have been sitting waiting for Portzy to run the light - simply they were there while going about their business. That's how many traffic and other offences are picked up on!

The police do not "pick on" motorists - they are simply one of the many groups of people that sadly require policing.

He was treated well by the sounds of things and IMO this form of policing is far better than Camera's all over the place and adds value to our road network.

I'd argue that its not the police per se that "pick on motorists" but the government with its ever increasing burdensome rules and regulations. Plates and window tints etc. The police just carry out this enforcement, sometimes well, usually pedantically and its easy pickings for them. If I were a copper I'd much rather traul the inside lane of the M6 at 70mph in a nice car waiting for some nutter to barrel down @ 100+ and give chase than chase after some nasty yob in Huddersfield @6am.

Purely on this case it sounds the OP was treated rather well and for this I am very glad.

Agreed.
There definately has been a shift in members views. Either the existing members have decided to whinge and moan a lot for no good reason, or newer members have decided to pollute many threads with this negative tripe.

Either way, it's narrow minded and boring, and due to being opinion as opposed to fact is a never ending argument.

Sorry, but this doesn't exactly raise the tone either - perhaps it's been a hard day:)

So the other guy is being narrow minded and boring, and giving opinion as opposed to fact...but your views don't come into the same category?

I like these forums for the open and frank - occasionally brutal - debate. Long may it continue. I've seen some strong disagreements on here - again, long may they continue. I have to say I have seen virtually nothing I would call polluting negative tripe.

I must therefore conclude that existing members have decided to whinge and moan....;)

Agreed.

I see that you agree with my last post.

The perception of the general public is that they are being persecuted. Whether the figures back this up or not is irrelevant the fact is that people feel more vulnerable on the road which is their opinion. If it's unfounded then those responsible have done a sh1tty job of public relations.

I sincerely hope that you don't think that I am polluting your forum or that I'm spouting negative tripe, if you do let me know. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been a shift of members views, both new and old, that is the very point that I am making - the majority of motorists feel a bit 'got at' currently and this has never been as strong in the past.

[/color][/b]

The perception of the general public is that they are being persecuted. Whether the figures back this up or not is irrelevant the fact is that people feel more vulnerable on the road which is their opinion.........I wouldn't be surprised if there has been a shift of members views, both new and old, that is the very point that I am making - the majority of motorists feel a bit 'got at' currently and this has never been as strong in the past.

One therefore must look this statement, which I agree with, with a simple question.

Why?

Last edited:
Sorry, but this doesn't exactly raise the tone either - perhaps it's been a hard day:)

So the other guy is being narrow minded and boring, and giving opinion as opposed to fact...but your views don't come into the same category?

I like these forums for the open and frank - occasionally brutal - debate. Long may it continue. I've seen some strong disagreements on here - again, long may they continue. I have to say I have seen virtually nothing I would call polluting negative tripe.

I must therefore conclude that existing members have decided to whinge and moan....;)

If they have a particular instance as an example then sure, air it, but to have posters who have said they have no direct experience of this issue, then regularly (I mean again and again and again) spouting off about how bad things are, it gets rather tiresome.

Perhaps you haven't been around long enough to know how good this forum used to be before all the pollution.:)

Judging by the fact that three posters have come into this thread saying how they are tired of hearing this rubbish, then maybe I'm not alone in my opinion. Even the o-p has reposted saying he felt the experience was a good one, not a negative one, but Lo, the doom mongers have still seen a negative side to the thread.
Have I actually given my opinion regarding the original topic.? Just checked back. Nope..!

[/COLOR][/B]

The perception of the general public is that they are being persecuted. Whether the figures back this up or not is irrelevant the fact is that people feel more vulnerable on the road which is their opinion. If it's unfounded then those responsible have done a sh1tty job of public relations.

I sincerely hope that you don't think that I am polluting your forum or that I'm spouting negative tripe, if you do let me know. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been a shift of members views, both new and old, that is the very point that I am making - the majority of motorists feel a bit 'got at' currently and this has never been as strong in the past.

I hadn't particularly noticed your previous post, I read your first one in depth. It had an account of a fact as opposed to an opinion based on nothing.

I hadn't realised you felt so aggrieved at your meeting with said Policeman, but as we are now talking about that I can fully understand why you were stopped and why he thought you MAY have had something to drink, your friend in the car smelt of alcohol.
Maybe he genuinely thought he was doing you a favour by not breathalyzing you.
Would you have preferred he reported you for your poor driving.?

The age old feelings about how Police are targeting motorists has been going on since there were traffic laws, but it doesn't mean it's actually true.
It's just that most people that come into contact with the Police are generally law abiding so only come into contact over motoring related issues, thus it appears that they are being targeted for the motoring issues.

As you are aware it wasn't your post I was referencing, but hey, ho..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom