Good deeds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackC55

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
E55K SL500 E250X2 Smart44 Brabus Track car E450Cabriolet X350 Pick up
Afternoon all.

I thought we would all need cheering up after the news yesterday.

Anyone done any good deeds recently?

I will start.

I know there are lots of people that are struggling right now so I decided to help out locally. The food banks near us are desperate for donations so I decided to fill a trolley up on the 28th of December with loads of food and toiletries and gave it it to a food bank. It was only £140 and a little time out of my day. My 10 year old daughter helped me too.

Well the next door neighbour brought round a screwfix leaflet in the pouring rain that the postman had delivered to them yesterday by mistake and they had opened it,I told them that I would not report them for opening the queens mail this time,I felt real good about being so charitable.

Reactions: JHS
Well not me really, but my Wife has been getting the shopping every week since March for a 91 year old up the road. It's her birthday today. Her handwriting is worse than mine, but i seem quite good at deciphering it. So today the decipher challenges were R Whites lemonade and Lenor. I hope it's not her idea of a cocktail! My Wife put together a checklist so Dorothy can tick what she would like but it's the "additions" section that poses the odd challenge!

This afternoon at Sainsbuy's.

I was behind an old lady in the queue.
Her bill came to £50 but after taking an age to count out all of her change, she only had just under £16.

I thought she was probably someone’s Mum or Gran and felt sorry for her.

She didn’t want me to help her but I insisted.

It only took around 10 minutes before we had most of her shopping back on the shelves.

Ok, on a more serious note.

I saw a women with three kids sobbing outside the entrance at my local Aldi.

I asked what was wong and she said she had somehow lost all the money to pay for their holiday.
I didn't hesitate to give her £100 and it made me feel good.

It was the least I could do, really, because I had just found about £3,000 in the car park on my way in.

Purchased some rock-salt yesterday to clear the neighbours path as it was like a skating rink , retrieved her hound as it escaped when she came out to say thanks. The couple accross the road walk her dog and do her shopping for her , the other neighbour does her garden , i take care of any minor DIY tasks and sort any "issues" she has with her utility companies.

Just hope the up and coming generation look after us in a similar fashion when we get to her age.

K

My Doc broke the chain to give me a face to face consultation an hour after I called. Top man.

None this year yet, but shall begin my volunteer work with the nhs responders again this lockdown. Enjoyed transporting people or items to and from homes or hospital.
Lovely weather and I got to use my 129 alot, roof down so almost an open space and some happy “elders” and nice comments...... mostly. “Oh, it’s a bit low”, “ It is rather old”
They’ll have to make do with a B class this time 😳 as the SL is sorn.

have been “volunteered“ to help help a few children with basic maths on a zoom meeting too.

Not sure how they will get on with J notation but early days 😳🏴‍☠️ !!!

Created a DVD of Christmas songs "Jigsaw At Christmas", which we distributed to 20 Care Homes, in the absence of being able to entertain them in person.

Helped a Bus driver who was stuck last week, when we had snow. Backed up to him in me Gritter and spread a load of Grit in front the of the bus and threw some under the back wheels, it did the trick, must admit it felt good helping someone. :) 👍

Not a big deal, but I've been taking an elderly friend to hospital for eye treatment. It's a 60 mile round trip but it's an excuse to give the car a run and saves me charging the battery. Since the covid thing I've barely used the car - less than 1k miles this year.

Not me but my wife; she got furloughed then made redundant from her part-time job in lockdown 1.

So at the moment she's volunteering at a local foodbank two or three days a week & is now also an NHS responder for people suffering from anxierty/loneliness.

I was parked on double yellow lines on Christmas Eve and as I returned to my car, I noticed a traffic warden about to issue a ticket.
I shouted and waved and managed to get to my car just in time.

I got talking with the warden (he was foreign) and he asked if I had finished my shopping trip.
When I said I had a few more things to pick up, he said he'd turn a blind eye if I was only another 10 minutes or so.

This shows fantastic Christmas spirit and I was able to finish getting the last few presents. YAY!

However, when I got home, I thought to myself about this foreign warden.

Now, turning a blind eye might be the sort of thing that goes on in his native land, but people must abide by our rules, in our country.

At the end of the day, that man made me break the law.

So, I e-mailed his employer informing them of what had happend.

This morning they called me to say that he had been dismissed, which I think is the correct outcome.

I was parked on double yellow lines on Christmas Eve and as I returned to my car, I noticed a traffic warden about to issue a ticket.
I shouted and waved and managed to get to my car just in time.

I got talking with the warden (he was foreign) and he asked if I had finished my shopping trip.
When I said I had a few more things to pick up, he said he'd turn a blind eye if I was only another 10 minutes or so.

This shows fantastic Christmas spirit and I was able to finish getting the last few presents. YAY!

However, when I got home, I thought to myself about this foreign warden.

Now, turning a blind eye might be the sort of thing that goes on in his native land, but people must abide by our rules, in our country.

At the end of the day, that man made me break the law.

So, I e-mailed his employer informing them of what had happend.

This morning they called me to say that he had been dismissed, which I think is the correct outcome.
Are you serious, is this a wind-up? :dk:

Where we live in rural Wales we have an elderly community. My wife had been manning a phone where those shielding can ring in their food orders, etc. She would then upload the requirement to a website and local volunteers would then reply via a WhatsApp group saying they would do the shopping. The volunteers would then go do the shopping and the bill would be paid via a local council debit card held at the local Coop store. The town clerk then rings the person requesting the shopping to take payment. Most orders seem to be fulfilled within a few hours . It makes Amazon prime look slow and unwieldy.

I live on a shared unmade road, shared with about 12 others. Road is full of potholes. About 18 months ago one of the neighbours asked if I knew anyone to patch up her part of the road as her contact couldn't help until spring 2020.
Spring 2020 came & went.
So a couple of months ago I offered to get some MOT type 1 to fill the pot holes in her part, hoping there would be a bit spare to do a pot hole in mine and a particularly bad one 3 doors down.
Collected 1.5 tonne & set about hers but needed more. She asked me how much and I said I would be happy if she paid the £50 for the Type 1 - I didn't want anything for my time.
£100 through my letter box the next day. I spoke to her and said that I didn't want anything & the additional £50 would cover a second load the next weekend.
Finished hers and there was enough left to do the pot hole in front of mine & in front of 4 other neighbours.
Thanks from her & 3 of the neighbours and a bottle of wine from the other neighbour. Told them all that I didn't do it for thanks or a bottle of wine, just pleased I could help (and made a smoother drive for my car).
Christmas card from the 1st neighbour (who had already paid for all of the Type 1) contained a further £50 and further thanks.
I have nice neighbours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom