Good eggs one and all.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WOODYTHEWISE

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 500 Coupe.
I joined this forum in 2011 after purchasing a CL600 BT. I was made to feel welcome from day one and have made new friends from the many members.
The other day i had an invite to a curry night in Glasgow. Due to an unpredictable back problem i felt it better to decline rather than let someone down.
A fellow member even volunteered to pick me up and take me there. What a terrific thing to do, i have never met the gentleman. Just a sample of the type of people we get on here.
Again, thank you to .........

I recently purchased an Audi A8 and joined an Audi based forum, what a miserable bunch. After saying hello and having several dozen people read my introduction only one welcome.

This forum even gave me a wife!
Bugger me - well not literally!

Have to admit the Audi Q5 I bought was shyte, as were the forums. I've had Mercs since 2001. Converted to Audi for two years is 2017, biggest mistake ever!

Back to the fold with me GLC :) since last month. Loving it

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Tell us more about the A8. I always thought they were better than the S class or 7 series. Phaeton came out of the same stable. Bentley inherited a lot of their genes and components.

Tell us more about the A8. I always thought they were better than the S class or 7 series. Phaeton came out of the same stable. Bentley inherited a lot of their genes and components.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'd take a D3 over a W220 or E65 of similar vintage, but not over a W221 or F01 that appeared part way through its life. They have some USPs - quattro, v8 turbo diesel and so on. IMO the central control system is better than both the earlier BMW and MB offerings. The alloy space frame makes them light, but also doesn't feel quite as cosseting and isolated from the outside. It's the cheapest of the 3 to get proper diagnostic gear for, which makes it easier for DIY work.

However, it's marred by some properly infuriating design decisions.

Very long steel pinch bolts into alloy steering knuckle (it clamps 2 ball joints simultaneously), so when you have to change them they're completely seized with corrosion and have to be drilled out, or you have to sacrifice the entire knuckle. It took me 5 days across 3 weekends to swap all the front suspension arms.
The drains (sunroof, plenum, AC) ALWAYS block, which means you end up with water in places that you really don't want it - either filling the footwells or flowing into the cabin from the sunroof cassette. I know 3 or 4 cars that have been written off through drowned electrics.
The rear bumper is held on with an ingenious ratchet system to pull the outer edges flush with the bodywork. It has a steel hex bolt recessed into a plastic gear unit, which rips and rounds out under the slightest provocation. :doh:
The V10s have problems with the intake manifold, the 3.0TDIs have injector and tensioner issues until about 2007.

The suspension compressor is relatively easy to get out for rebuild/replacement, with one of Bagpiping Andy's excellent kits. All except for 1 bolt. It's hidden a couple of inches underneath the plastic shelf that the headlight sits on, so you are left with 3 options:
1) Crafting a very specific slimline Torx tool to get it started, and then finish unthreading with your fingers
2) Disassemble the majority of the front end to remove this plastic shelf
3) Drill an access hole through the shelf with a step cutter.

Oh, and mine decided to self-immolate in the work car park, which was a little annoying! An electrical fault around the OS headlamp, which had happened to another car in the community but they were able to take action before it was too late, and subsequently replace the loom.

This and the Kawasaki zzr forum(now dead) are the best I have used for friendliness and useful info.

Think I’m gonna try and organise a Scottish get together.
Bit like herding cats though!!

I’d agree with all the above. I’ve been on various forums over the years but this one is the most friendly and useful. You don’t get the W!lly waving evident on PH and nor do you get the crashing techno bores who berate anyone who tries to post without a phd in mechanics.

I will stick around and continue to attend BOTG which really does embody all that is great about this forum.

Thats great, maybe I'll find a husband :cool:

I can't tell you how delighted I was to see that "MrRight" had liked this post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom