Good engine and engine bay cleaner please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks Can anybody recommend a really good engine & engine bay cleaning product?

Something that will get all the grease & oil residue off along with the normal road dirt film and leaves things like the washer bottle looking nice and fresh/white with nice yellow caps.

As a preference I like things with bubbles (not fairy liquid) I just always get the feeling that bubbles indicate that something good is happening (I mean in the engine bay).

Lobbing a tub of gunk in there and jetting it off is just not what I want and gunk these days leaves a poor finish. Also I think it is not as strong as it used to be.

I use this stuff. Seems to give good results and a good finish. I then, when dry, go over the plastics with AG vinyl and rubber care

Last edited:
Gunk works for me.

However, it needs to be rinsed-off with water, which should be done very carefuly to avoid water ingress into any electrical/electronic systems.

Auto Smart G101

Gunk works for me.

However, it needs to be rinsed-off with water, which should be done very carefuly to avoid water ingress into any electrical/electronic systems.

The MB mechanic I spoke to told me 'jet wash' the engine bay all the important stuff has been sealed appropriately.

Works for me anyway.

We used to do this in the olden days, steam-wash (hot water) the engine bay and undercarriage.

And it worked a treat...

But it was easier back then because there was very little by way of electrics - we used to cover up the the dizzy, coil, and alternator and that's about it.

These days I would be hesitant to do that due to risk of water ingress to various bits such as ECU and loom, fusebox, etc.

On another note, it has also been suggested that use of jet wash in the engine bay and undercarriage may remove wax sealent from joints and cause rust. I don't know if that's a real issue though.

But for these reasons I no longer use jet wash (or steam-wash).

Excellent choice.

This stuff is incrediblely versatile. Just make sure you dilute appropriate to the job, but then use as engine degreaser, cleaning carpets, removing stains from clothes etc.

Closest thing to a wonder cleaner I've found.

Regards, Neil

Thank you folks. I took delivery of 5 litres of the BH Surfex. Here's hoping.

Good stuff - I cleaned all the green off my concrete gravel boards with it! Works a treat on cleaning skis (dryslope kills them!). Good on your skin too.

I even used it on the car a few times as well :D

This really is impressive stuff. One quick application using a big soft paint brush, then a quick hose down and the engine bay is gleaming. Might try it on my pants now.

I'll second AutoGlym's engine cleaner, not too harsh and cleans well

I use this stuff. Seems to give good results and a good finish. I then, when dry, go over the plastics with AG vinyl and rubber care

I'm too scared at the moment to give my engine bay a full blown clean with flowing water, although it's not that dirty anyway.

What I did do is give it a wipe down with a damp, soapy sponge and then used AG Vinyl & Rubber care. That stuff is quite amazing as when you spray it on it looks all streaky, but when it dries it is streak free and the engine bay looks like new.

It does make me wonder though, what happens to the Vinyl and Rubber Care? Does it gradually dissolve, or does it add to the layer of grease once the engine gets dirty again?

By the way I can't recommend enough Adams products.

Prestige car care sell them and get mine from there. Been using them a few months now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom