Good evening from Australia ML300cdi temp warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Talbot

Car
Ml300cdi
Good day people just wondering if anyone can help , I have a ML300CDI V6 Diesel 143,000 KMS after a driving for around 20 minutes I am getting a coolant temp warning come up on the dash , despite monitoring live data with my scanner my coolant temp is actually good siting at around 85-90c even up to operating temp and driving and at stand still , I have checked the coolant level and coolant all seems to be good has anyone else had this issue , Cheers

Welcome cobber!
Could you post an image of the actual warning message?

Welcome cobber!
Welcome cobber!
Good day mate , I have no codes stored in my scanner in relation to this fault , but I have the thermometer with the wavy lines coming up on the centre of the dash .(bear in mind my scanner is not a star just a cheaply) 🤙

Without more info, and therefore a bit of a guess, on an older Merc like this could there be an issue of radiator clogged externally with dust reducing effectiveness of cooling?

Without more info, and therefore a bit of a guess, on an older Merc like this could there be an issue of radiator clogged externally with dust reducing effectiveness of cooling?
Yeh righto mate , I certainly won’t dismiss what you are saying , but it’s a very clean example car , generally speaking people get clogged radiators here from bush driving lots and lots that’s when you get a build up of red dust , but this being a city car I find it unlikely but I’ll take a look

Yeh righto mate , I certainly won’t dismiss what you are saying , but it’s a very clean example car , generally speaking people get clogged radiators here from bush driving lots and lots that’s when you get a build up of red dust , but this being a city car I find it unlikely but I’ll take a look
Yeah, that's good info. Being an ML, I wondered if it might be used in the bush, but if a city car it's unlikely.
I would say that this does crop up here in the UK on older Mercs, so around 15-20 years old I wouldn't rule out. But you should be able to physically inspect the radiator, maybe from under the car with a torch with any under trays removed.

Keep us posted 👍

If the live data your scanner is displaying is correct, and the actual coolant temperature is OK, then the problem is not an externally-clogged radiator, and the warning is spurious. What does the coolant temp dash display indicate? If that's up in the red too, but the coolant is at the correct temperature, then there's a sensor problem. If you cancel the warning, does it come back straight awayt?

Are you sure this isn’t a cooling fan function warning? In cars with colour dash display there is an amber warning that looks like a radiator that can flash up.
I have seen it on my car 2011 cls 350cdi. I pulled over to check coolant levels etc as I assumed it meant I’d dropped coolant.
Then did some reading on what it actually was. After cleaning the fan electrical connector it has never returned.

If the live data your scanner is displaying is correct, and the actual coolant temperature is OK, then the problem is not an externally-clogged radiator, and the warning is spurious. What does the coolant temp dash display indicate? If that's up in the red too, but the coolant is at the correct temperature, then there's a sensor problem. If you cancel the warning, does it come back straight awayt?
Hi mate here’s a picture of the light it’s displaying the picture isn’t from my ML but it’s identical same colour also

Yeah, that's good info. Being an ML, I wondered if it might be used in the bush, but if a city car it's unlikely.
I would say that this does crop up here in the UK on older Mercs, so around 15-20 years old I wouldn't rule out. But you should be able to physically inspect the radiator, maybe from under the car with a torch with any under trays removed.

Keep us posted 👍
Yeh I had a quick glance today mate radiator looks clean , no damage , Rust isn’t really an issue out here also

Couldn’t upload photo mate so changed my profile picture to it , that’s the exact light same colour also
The photo is too big if taken directly from phone, but if you WhatsApp it or email it to yourself, it downsides (or usually give a you the option to downsize via email). Either that, or download a free image resizing app and do via that before uploading here 👍

NOTE : OP has changed his profile picture to the photo of the actual lamp seen on the dashboard. Post #16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom