Good idea for the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An article linked to the one above...

Woman Posts To Facebook While Driving With Tragic Consequences

Shows what happens when someone takes a Selfie when driving.

She was lucky that only she died. She could have easily killed someone else.

People need to understand that when your vehicle is moving, it is dangerous. We seem to have bred a complacent generation who think nothing of taking chances, often with the lives of others.

Talking about 'texting' at the wheel is archaic and missing the point.

Drivers nowadays can (and some do) interact with mobile data devices and with built-in car infotaintment systems in very many ways.

This includes Facebook, Twitter, Instargram, Whatsapp, Skype, and many more.

There are no regulations and no agreed standard.

If you use Waze, it will display advertising for local fast food restaurants as you drive, which is insane, but not illegal.

And you can fit an Android-based unit to replace COMAND, which gives you a complete portable computer in your dash, including the capability of running email software and watching streaming media, and that's not illegal either.

(I meant that it is not illegal to have this device in your car, not the it is not illegal to use it in this way).

We need a proper debate about what can and cannot be done... followed by regulations fit for today, and not just keep talking about 'texting'...

Last edited:
Last edited:
A debate is not needed for a solution to the problems mentioned above. we already have Sect. 3 of the road traffic act. ( Careless driving ). Or Sect. 2 ( dangerous ) if the standard of driving gets worse still.

In a previous life I have been involved in the investigation of several deaths caused by the use of mobile telephones and one that was caused by a driver changing channels on a radio. The relevant sections of the road traffic act are in place, what we need is offenders to be prosecuted under this legislation so that the facts can be fully explained in court to the magistrates/judge so that a decent penalty can be imposed.

I can give an example of this without naming any names or dates.... While driving along a two lane stretch of the A1 dual carriageway in a big Volvo that was very brightly adorned with blue and yellow battenberg I happen'd to come alongside another vehicle that I had seen ahead of me " weaving " in the road. This driver was so engrossed in their text message it took a good blast on the siren to attract their attention. Circumstances explained at court. 4 weeks disqualification and a good fine. I also once drove along side an elderly gentleman who was so busy filling his pipe with tobacco he took his eyes off the road for ages while continuing at about 60 mph. He couldn't see what he had done wrong until I asked if he would drive for that amount of time with his eyes closed. I don't think he got a disqualification but I remember he got a huge fine at court.

Careless driving:- ask yourself. Would I pass my driving test if I deliberately did that while taking the test. No is the answer you are looking for.

Your ability to drive a vehicle legally on the roads is a privilege not a right.

Rant over. Happy motoring

Unfortunately, these types of offences require a witness to the act and that is less and less likely and they are never going to instigate constant surveillance so those that want to always will….if they are stupid enough to do it, they are too stupid to understand why they shouldn't.

EDIT:

As an aside, a colleague in my past life encountered a baker's van on the M11 northbound at about 6am. It was sitting in the middle lane at 60mph. On pulling alongside, the driver could be clearly seen with his chin on his chest and eyes closed. Therein lies a dilemma; sound the horn to wake him or make sure nothing approaches from behind? At the top of the hill where there is an exit, the driver woke and and looked ahead so he was stopped.

Yes, I was sleeping. So what?
You can't do that when driving.
Why not. I've been doing to for years. I am tired after work and I wake up at junctions.
What about other vehicles
There's never any traffic at this time of day.

I paraphrase the conversation but although the ban was lengthy and the fine was large, the driver still shouted and yelled at the magistrate and refused to accept he was a danger to other road users.

As I said, if they are stupid enough…..

Last edited:
There is little point making new laws up, almost all of the issues I see daily are due to people breaking the current laws and frankly appalling driving by Eastern European Lorry drivers all we need is for the police to enforce all the current stuff

Now there is a contradiction in terms if ever I saw one.

Not really. Imagine her standing at the Pearly Gates with a group of people she had taken out all pointing at her and saying, 'it's your fault we are here'.

Of course, if you are not religious, or don't believe in an afterlife, then this point is moot.

Maybe her family should consider themselves lucky that their relative only took herself out of the loop. Imagine having to attend a hearing with the relatives of the other casualties of this crash.

We hear about how many people die each year from Road Traffic Accidents, but how many of them died because of their own stupid behaviour, and how many died simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom