Good news from Africa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would not cheer too loudly until we see who replaces him and how they then operate thier Government.

Mugabe's power-base has been eroding for a number of years and he knew this so he surrounded himself with people, who, no doubt for promises of influential jobs to come, have been supporting him. The attempts by his wife and family to create a Dynasty have brought about the current situation.

I think it will only get worse as the power struggle unfolds

1807-2-1-PAGE-1.jpg President Mugabe jokes with Major-General Sibusiso Busi Moyo at Harare International Airport before departing for an international Ebola conference in Equatorial Guinea in 2015. Looking on are First Lady Amai Grace Mugabe

Major-General Sibusiso Busi Moyo " Times up Dude".

President Mugabe "You military guys you crack me up"

Lady Amai Grace Mugabe---- "In your dreams"

Last edited:
So after all these years who was best for the place, Ian Smith or Mugabe?

I wonder where all his Mercs are, and what will happen to the Landaulets?

There will be a civil war there soon.
Bob still has many supporters and his lovely wife is a bit of a one I think.

Southern_Rhodesia_1965_Churchill_5sh_Overprint_Forgery.jpg

1965: UDI for Rhodesia.

In the UK, ambitious working class chaps tossed a coin. Where to go? Rhodesia or Australia?

Two countries with GDP's of $2 billion (wow), sunshine, and infinite potential (gold, diamonds and all kinds of other resources).

(Being working class chaps they couldn't get into The States, what with not being Irish)

Fifty years later - GDP: Australia: GDP $1200 billion. Zimbabwe GDP : $16 billion.

One country is rich And those who chose to go to Rhodesia are dead.

The Mugabe legacy: poverty for his people: Infrastructure, Education, Health, the lot.

And, just for reference, over the border, South Africa has gone from a GDP of $11 billion in 1965 to $300 billion in 2016.

So if Zimbabwe had followed it neighbour, its GDP would now be $60 billion, not $16. That's a lot of infrastructure, health education and employment.

(Which is still an understatement because Zimbabwe has truly enormous gold and diamond reserves, as well as an unemployment rate of 95% (sic) compared to South Africa's 25%)

"Which is still an understatement because Zimbabwe has truly enormous gold and diamond reserves, as well as an unemployment rate of 95% (sic) compared to South Africa's 25%)"

Much of which gets siphoned off by the current/future dictatorship, nothing will change!

Cross fingers, can anyone really be worse that E-ba-Gum, backwards?

At least the Lion sleeps tonight...cue...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As far as I can tell, nothing has changed since I was there about 40 years ago. Apart from the appearance of Amazing DisGrace who, by all accounts, could make things even worse.

When you read about the main players - this appears to be all about an internal power struggle in the Zanu-PF party. Its doubtful if much is going to change for the better for a bulk of the population. Non of the main protagonists are particularly nice people! Meet the new boss --same as the old boss.
Zimbabwe latest: Key players

That's the saddest thing about Africa, it's been like that for centuries, doesn't seem to be any real development on this theme...

And very trim Denise Waterman still runs a wine bar in Wimbledon....

Yes they have moved on a bit though grober, they now have a President that openly admits he murders people - at least he is honest.

Well the merry go round will continue and this will lead to another despot leader who will have numerous numbered bank accounts,this country is bleeding to death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom