Good News Mr Nickg, we've found your car.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
.......is what TFL would have said if they had rung me up last Wednesday to tell my that they'd just photographed my stolen car in a bus lane at Staples Corner (NW London, 5 miles from my house).
But instead, they decided to wait 5 days and then post me a penalty charge notice for £100 which includes 2 beautiful photos of my f****ing car......

What sort of society do we live in where the govt spend billions on a camera system that gets anyone who strays 1 millimetre in to a sodding bus lane, but cannot connect it to the PNC so that the police are alerted when a stolen car is photographed.
I am considering emigrating to Saudi Arabia.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

That is sick - adding insult to injury :(

I hope the scumbags get caught one way or the other.

Will

I cant imagine how it must feel to have got that through the post.
Hope the insurance claim is progressing well.

I cannot belive the millions spent on that system is not linked to a stolen cars register of some sort. That's terrible. With the amount of cameras they could have moved in and got them.

Very annoying. On the bright side, the car still had the same reg plates and was still in the country. It may yet be recovered.

Was reading your previous post about it being nicked... sorry to hear it.. :(

Was going to say pretty much the same as PJH - at least you know that it is still around. We had an imported jeep stolen from us a few years back and was told that it's more than likely that it would have been shipped out almost immediately.

It is a shame that they cannot do anythng about it, in terms of tracking it down.

My advice.. if they can't do anything about it.. try it yourself.

If the car's been around the staples corner area, keep a firm look out around there. They usually say that a stolen car will usually repeat it's traces, and more often that not will come very close to home.

I wouldn't suggest taking the law into your own hands, but once you've seen it (with driver) call the police.. Therefore, car is recovered and the **** who nicked it or caught with the car will be where they should be.

I'm sure everyone else here aswell asmyself will keep our eyes peeled. It's not everyday that you come across an SL60, so hopefully it can be recovered!

:cool:

P.S. How stupid are these people!? They're still driving around in a rare car which is stolen... er... if you were clever wouldn't you be inclined to do quite the opposite to avoid getting caught!?

At least you know that you're not dealing with 1st class thieves, but indeed a bunch of muppets.

So here's hoping...

:cool:

Last edited:
My sympathy for having your car nicked, but why would you expect or want TFL to be hooked up to the PNC?

Are you actively campaigning for a Big Brother State? Would you like your telephone supplier to be hooked up to Special Branch? How's about all NHS Doctors to MI5 & MI6? Are you a strong supporter of the Identity Card? What you're advocating sounds a bit like Albania, the USSR or somewhere where the State has too much knowledge, power and influence for my taste.

It's insured, you'll get a cheque, buy another one.

neilrr said:
My sympathy for having your car nicked, but why would you expect or want TFL to be hooked up to the PNC?

Are you actively campaigning for a Big Brother State? Would you like your telephone supplier to be hooked up to Special Branch? How's about all NHS Doctors to MI5 & MI6? Are you a strong supporter of the Identity Card? What you're advocating sounds a bit like Albania, the USSR or somewhere where the State has too much knowledge, power and influence for my taste.

It's insured, you'll get a cheque, buy another one.

That's a bit of an overreaction - for a start Special Branch, MI5 and MI6 have access to all of this anyway :cool: If a car has committed an 'offence' then it gets logged and a penalty issued. What's the problem with this database crossreferencing one containing a list of stolen cars? Just seems like common sense.

stats007 said:
That's a bit of an overreaction - for a start Special Branch, MI5 and MI6 have access to all of this anyway :cool: If a car has committed an 'offence' then it gets logged and a penalty issued. What's the problem with this database crossreferencing one containing a list of stolen cars? Just seems like common sense.

With you on that Stats.

Can't think of a sensible reason not to link the two.

neilrr said:
What you're advocating sounds a bit like Albania, the USSR or somewhere where the State has too much knowledge, power and influence for my taste.

Surely, once TFL are monitoring your movements, then the die is cast? Linking to the police computer is a natural, beneficial next step once you accept that your vehicle's movements are being tracked already.

If we did end up with a police state and things turned nasty (dictatorship, oppression, etc.) then the police would just hook up to TFL, anyway - they wouldn't take a referendum from the pulic on the subject on whether we would allow it.

Sounds to me like your privacy campaign is a few years too late. You should have been objecting to TFL monitoring you in the first place - and on that one, I would have been beside you. But now we have the stupid system, we might as well get some benefit from it as well as incurring fines and fees forusing our roads.

Philip

Would the person who gave me negative feedback for voicing my opinion care to identify themselves?

I wish it was me...... I've been on this forum since day 1 and we've seen some good and bad members come and go..... I cant beleive how insensitive your post is...... This chap has had his pride and joy stolen by some scumbags, we are all from different walks of life on here and I'm sorry but I find your post totally offensive.

Dont bother replying to me as i wont reply......

Neilrr

I agree with some of your views - clearly wouldn't like TFL given MORE power over us than those useless t*ss*rs already have.
But how on earth can you actually justify your last comment "........you'll get a cheque, buy another one". Have you ever dealt with an insurance company before? Have you ever had to try and replace your rare old 190E?
I had £2000+ of property stolen in my house and car (am still noticing things in the house that were nicked i.e. can't find my camera tonight so must have been stolen). I have a substantial excess to fund, and have to find a comparable car for whatever settlement I get.

You deserved your negative feedback for your attitude.

I tried calling the police today and yesterday to tell them that my car was photo'd by TFL last week. After holding on the phone for 25 and 30mins respectively I gave up.

So, we have every branch of the State security apparatus ALREADY monitoring us (according to several posters), the country is blanketed in CCTVs and to what point?

Nick, you can't even get through to the police on the phone to try to get their help. Even if you did get through they wouldn't/couldn't do anything. They've already given you a police report number and until they either find your car abandoned somewhere, or, by some miracle catch these idiots I'm afraid that's it. I know this from experience.

My apologies if my attitude offended you - it wasn't my intention. My intention was to highlight the dangerous road you advocated of more State control/interference/access to information on the Individual. You, apparently, have a far more trusting attitude to the State than me. Personally, I'm a big fan of less Government rather than more. If you were to emigrate to Saudi Arabia you might get a taste of what you wish for and I'm 100% certain it wouldn't be to your liking.

BTW, I had another rare, old 190E before my current rare, old 190E. It was insured on a stated value policy with Peter Best so when The Bad Day came there were no surprises and no arguments on the settlement. Strongly recommend that route.

Neilr

I have to agree that your comment was somewhat insensetive. I'm sure you meant it to be taken that once the insurance company have paid out Nick can then buy another car just as good, if not better. However that doesn't take into account the emotioinal upset of having someone break into your house, whilst you are there, and steal a prized posession.
In addition there is a very real probability that Nick will be financially worse off for the next few insurance renewals, if not on the purchase of the new car.

Nick.
Sorry to hear that your lovely car has been pinched by some theiving scum. I hope it all works out for you.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, nickg, theft is a very intrusive crime.

Wheelie said:
I wish it was me...... I've been on this forum since day 1 and we've seen some good and bad members come and go..... I cant beleive how insensitive your post is...... This chap has had his pride and joy stolen by some scumbags, we are all from different walks of life on here and I'm sorry but I find your post totally offensive.

However, I don't get what was offensive about neilrr's post. I don't agree with the statements that neilrr has made but he is entitled to his view, no? He expressed himself clearly and without hostility; I don't see what more could be asked of him (besides demanding that he steps in line with the majority).

Aside from that, I won't actually go into my opinion, as I'll just end up repeating the words of prprandall51.

j

neilrr said:
Would the person who gave me negative feedback for voicing my opinion care to identify themselves?

I thought not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom