Good News! Oxfordshire County Council say they're on top of pothole repairs...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by st13phil, Feb 18, 2013.

1. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    4 people like this.
  2. Mercator

Mercator Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 SL500
    I agree the potholes are worse than ever. On my 25 mile commute there are at least 10 locations where a burst tyre would be likely if I was unaware of the location of the pothole. Driving at night on unfamiliar roads is hazardous.

1 person likes this.
  3. mymini007

mymini007 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mini (real one) CLS320
    I am currently driving to Farmoor every day and the A420 between Swindon and there is dreadful.

4. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
    Total crock of sh*t.

There's a set of potholes on my commute you could lose a C-class down. During the daytime you can spot them ok, but every night since the snow thawed I'm passing 2-3 cars pulled over with heavy wheel/suspension damage.

Even where they have supposedly "repaired", the road surface is so bad I'm now considering selling the E-class and just running my Landcruiser for commuting duties.

5. David Bird

David Bird Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C200 stunning condition Rare Red 1999
    Oldham council just announced they have a new machine that force fills potholes - They need to start using it pretty quick because roads round here are inferior to some goat tracks i have seen abroad . Rochdale area is dire

6. MicB

MicB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
    Yep......Oxfordshire roads have deteriorated dramatically over the past two or three years. They are potentially dangerous and will be doing untold damage to vehicles of all types......we are all paying a very high price for such wilful neglect.

Mic

7. artyman

artyman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 200 CDI Sport
    It's getting difficult to know where the speed bumps end and the potholes begin :D

8. eGuru

eGuru Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S320cdi, S204 C180
    I drove from Northampton to Swindon at the weekend and as mentioned by others, the potholes on the A420 were dreadful. What really worried me was the state of the A43 near Silverstone. The potholes were seriously dangerous on such a fast and busy road.

9. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    If you see the pot holes then report them. Local councils usually take swift action, because of their liabiliity if there's an incident and they were aware of the issue. If they're not aware then there's not much try can do.

10. OP
    OP
    st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    I often report potholes. Some - the very, very, worst - get attended to. As for the rest, I have an email inbox with a number of "we've inspected the reported defect and it isn't bad enough to warrant remedial work" responses. In the following 2 - 4 weeks they deteriorate to the point where they are unquestionably dangerous and I report them again. They're then generally fixed. This is lunacy.

11. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    I was astounded to see DMBC repair a pothole at 7pm on Christmas Eve. Mind you it was more like a mine shaft and had been there for a few days....

12. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    I tend to find the worst pot holes are on major bus routes. Perhaps the council should bill the bus companies for the damage these heavy vehicles inflict on our roads and the bus company pass these costs on directly to its customers for the true cost of their travel.

Glasgows roads are not great but the worst ones are the major routes that buses use.

13. Mercator

Mercator Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 SL500
    Same down here.The bus lanes I use in Oxford are in dreadful condition. I blame the buses.

2 people like this.
  14. JimboDS

JimboDS Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C350 CDI Sport Plus, RX8 replaced by Mazda2 (wife's)
    So those craters I have to dodge every day on Oxfordshire's roads aren't potholes. My mistake :doh:

I drive on the A420 regularly and that's pretty bad as a few have mentioned. Hit an awful pothole accelerating away from a roundabout on Oxford ring-road by Abingdon road. That's a real nasty one. I could go on.

In the same article:

and

:fail