Good places in Germany to visit?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SG1, Nov 30, 2015.

1. SG1

SG1 Active Member

Car:
    Anything Mercedes
    Evening,

In April every year we go to the Techno Classica Show in Essen, this year we drove (R129 SL600 and 996 Turbo). We attended the show for three days and from there went to Stuttgart and visited the Mercedes Classic Center, Mercedes Museum, Porsche Museum and an interesting one off visit to the Gembella factory!

As we've done this now we're wondering if anyone has any recommendations/experience on any interesting/nice places in Germany to visit. It doesn't have to be car related!

Berlin looks lovely but any other thoughts?

2. chubbs111

chubbs111 Active Member

Car:
    clk270cdi
    celle absolutely stunning town approx 100 kms from hanover

3. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    Berlin is always worth a visit as is Heidelberg, then again they are near on 400 miles apart. So, I reckon it's question of how much time you have and how much travelling you want to do.

4. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
  5. Druk

Druk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    Heidelberg yes. Also Chemnitz still has a Cold War feel about it which is interesting and when there a visit to Colditz Castle is a must.

6. Deleted96908

Deleted96908 Guest

If you have a couple of days to spare take a trip on the KD Line between Köln and Mainz on the Rhine. 1 day down and the same backup. The most amazing experience weaving between the fairy tale castles high above and past the Siren Lorelei Rock.

I worked on one of the ships for a summer when I was 18. Fell in love with the place and would recommend it to anybody.

Link

https://www.k-d.com/en/kd-scheduled-cruises/kd-rhine-timetable/

7. moonloops

moonloops MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    Rhine valley obs.. Cologne, Berlin, Hamburg, the Black Forest - pretty much everywhere - Frankfurt is a bit "wahey" ;)

In the big cities, just don't ask why all the roads are so wide :thumb:

8. st13phil

st13phil MB Enthusiast

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    ^ This.

There are a multitude of places in Germany that are worth visiting, but some indication of how far you're willing to drive and how long you're planning to stay there would help.

9. Mr Kripling

Mr Kripling Active Member

Car:
    Phaeton W12, Porsche 911 2S
    If you go to Berlin, it's not that much further to Dresden which is definitely worth a visit - the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden collections are really exceptional and the buildings such as the Zwinger, Frauenkirche and Schloss Pillnitz are worth a visit. You can also pop over to Meissen to see the porcelain factory if you're interested.

On the car front, you can go and visit the Gläserne Manufaktur to see how a luxury car should be assembled (all five of them a day! ;) )

10. j.schmeltzer

j.schmeltzer Active Member

Car:
    CLK320
    Colditz Castle and Moehne Dam area. Beautiful countryside and both sites are truly awe inspiring for their history.

11. lm600

lm600 New Member

Car:
    E Class Estate
    Speyer is quite nice.

Bad Cannstatt whilst has the greenhouse, it's a pretty uninspiring place, but is close to Fellbach for the historical centre, Stuttgart for the MB Museum and a bit further north west the Porsche Museum. :)

12. Vlad

Vlad MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various Mercs come and go
    Eifel Region....half an hour from Aachen...beautiful. Also if you get the chance go east to the region around Dresden down by the Czech border...stunning. Head south down to the border with Austria and stay in a little village called Bergen...beautiful again.

Also if you're near Essen head over to the Winterburg region.

So many places in Germany are great, cant understand why more people don't go there on holiday.

13. OP
    OP
    SG1

SG1 Active Member

Car:
    Anything Mercedes
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I must admit until I started looking a few days ago I hadn't realized the amount of lovely places to visit in Germany, some of the cities are stunning.

We will be in Essen for three or four days and from there we'll probably spend another four days in Germany, we don't mind driving a few hundred miles to be honest. We don't use these cars enough so it's a good opportunity to use and enjoy them as they should be.

I'll start researching all of the places/areas recommended - I love the look of the Sinsheim Museum! My kind of place.

14. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    1 person likes this.