Good quality restaurant in Tyne & Wear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igurisu

Car
911 Turbo
I have to arrange a dinner for our company president and an important client in the Tyne and Wear area but I'm not familiar with fine dining in that part of the country. I've been trawling reviews but wondered if anybody local could recomend something good?

Looking for fine dining, michelin star(s) level, max budget around £250 per head. Nationality of cusine is not important.

The only Michelin starred restaurant in the area is in Darlington, Raby Hunt. It got its first star this September. I have a group of wine-loving friends there who all moan about the food in Newcastle. I have asked on my wine forum if anyone has any reccos.

Have a look at these two. The latter is owned by the co-founder of Sage and has thrown loads of money into the project and it's had some excellent reviews. The Fishermans Lodge always had a good reputation especially for fish food and is about half a mile from Newcastle city centre
Home | Fisherman's Lodge or Close House » Dining

To summarise NE contributors to my wine forum suggestions.

Top end dining not really there. Newcastle - Cafe 21 is a very good brasserie restaurant, has a chef who used to have a star but chose not to carry on in a top end style. Jesmond Dean house - formal, bit pricey and food not up to price.

Near Darlingon - Kenny Atkinson's Orangery Restaurant (appeared on Great British Menu a couple of times) at Rockliffe Hall recommended.

Fisherman's Wharf - issues with food recently so not recommended.

Last edited:
Fine dining in Tyne & Wear is a bit of lettuce in your burger! I think you have to go to Yorkshire for your nearest Michelin starred restaurant. Good luck in your hunt.

Fine dining in Tyne & Wear is a bit of lettuce in your burger! I think you have to go to Yorkshire for your nearest Michelin starred restaurant. Good luck in your hunt.

Not having that. Give me Craster Kippers, North Sea Cod or Northumberland Spring Lamb any time over that poncey food some of these Michelin Chefs like Heston Baldyguy serve up

I wish I'd seen this thread I always took our company President to Treacle Moon on the Quayside one of the best restaurants in the North East all round tables and not too loud so you can converse easily. Top place but it's booked months in advance :thumb:

I thought the restaurant at Seaham Hall Hotel had a Michelin Star? If not then it can't have been too long ago it lost it.

I thought the restaurant at Seaham Hall Hotel had a Michelin Star? If not then it can't have been too long ago it lost it.

I used to stay there all the time assuming it's the same one we are talking about between Ryhope and Seaham? Was never aware it had a Michelin star though as to be honest the dining there was only average at best and I always used to eat out as there are some good restaurants on that coast all the way up to South Shields. Not Michelin star or fine dining but good food in nice atmospheres.

EDIT: Just seen it did have a Michelin star between 2007 - 2009 which was a period I never stayed there, No idea how it got it the food must have improved dramatically since I stayed there up to about 2005

Last edited:
Thanks to Charles and friends reccomendations we went to Cafe 21, the dinner was Thursday of this week. The service, food, beer and wine was excellent, we had a great night there.

I would definitely reccomend it for anybody else, myself I had jamon iberico gran reserva followed by halibut with wild mushrooms and truffle sauce.

Thank you again Mr Morgan.

flanaia1 said:
I used to stay there all the time assuming it's the same one we are talking about between Ryhope and Seaham? Was never aware it had a Michelin star though as to be honest the dining there was only average at best and I always used to eat out as there are some good restaurants on that coast all the way up to South Shields. Not Michelin star or fine dining but good food in nice atmospheres.

EDIT: Just seen it did have a Michelin star between 2007 - 2009 which was a period I never stayed there, No idea how it got it the food must have improved dramatically since I stayed there up to about 2005

Yep that's the one, I'm from Seaham myself though live down south now. From memory the hotel had a big refurb somewhere between 2005 & 2007, the chef was doing all sorts of wonderful things and was often seen on TV cookery programs. It had a really good reputation for a while for both food and the spa facilities. The hotel was sold to the Von Essen group in 2008 who have subsequently gone under. I know the local papers were talking over another £1 million + refurb at the back end of last year though I don't know of anyone who's been there recently for feedback.

I worked that area for British Coal from 1988 -1995 and worked at Seaham Colliery, Vane Tempest, Easington, Dawdon, Westoe. Then I went back in 2000 when I was covering the North East and Scotland opencast mining sectors. Which is when I was based out of Ryhope for the North East and Ayr for Scotland.

Below is a shot from Vane Tempest you may recognise in the late 80's, happy times.

VT_zps153899ae.jpg

Ah yes I remember it will. It looks rather different these days as a large housing estate with landscaped areas and some rather interesting sculptures. (Also a rather nice Indian restaurant tucked in there)

C16A2006-FB3A-47ED-AE4A-CC8B697904AE-1952-00000182347B0C91_zpsaa3e708e.jpg

4795889C-6646-4DC1-8D1B-FB61B51FF501-1952-00000182307F9645_zpsc60f5317.jpg

A27EF0C8-B3A4-48FC-9A1E-A09A00208353-1952-000001822BBDED27_zps1f3ae12f.jpg

5F98BA93-6DA2-48CD-833E-5F9BF46A44AB-1952-00000182252CBDEA_zps946bc07c.jpg

You'll know this yourself but Seaham being a fairly small town and having 3 coal mines was devastated in the 80's when they all closed. I'd say its only in recent years as the sea front area has been redeveloped that things have started to turn round.

My mother worked for the N.C.B right up until Wearmouth Colliery closed down and they were all made redundant. For some reason we always used to pick her up from work on a Friday so I spent many an hour in the offices at Wearmouth as a boy.

Wow that's amazing from how I remember it I guess I was last in Seaham around 1993 then moved on to Wearmouth and Westoe. How times change. Might have to have a tour back up there on my old stomping ground and see how things have changed.

I can feel an MB Club tour coming on :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom