Good workmanship for a change.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is fantastic , thanks !

There's no hesitation at all in what they do , a well oiled team !

I really enjoyed that!

Very impressive.

Equally interesting is this explanation from a poster on the website:

'It's not a roller, it's not paint, it's thermoplastic resin that's heated to about 230 degrees c and then screeded out onto the road through a fixed width grating that can control the flow. The pattern is marked on the road ahead of time with a yellow crayon (made from the same pigment mixed with wax).'

This also explains why the painters are stepping on the fresh marking.

And to to top this up, all lettering / lines must comply to TSRGD 2002.

About 75% of the white liners time is spent measuring the distances and marking reference points with chalk. After that, its nothing more but connecting the dots.

Whats even more interesting, is how they remove thermoplastic from tarmac, using a gas burner connected to air compressor, using a lance and burning it off.
Very noisy and dusty operation.

Last edited:
especially re-tracing some of the bits...

I'm not too sure about thickening lines by re-tracing. Last year I kicked a built up white line and nearly broke my big toe...I kid you not...:crazy:

I went to hospital and they thought it was broken as it was blue and swollen all the way into my foot... fortunately it wasn't.

[YOUTUBE]4JNOMPzkOks[/YOUTUBE]

Whats even more interesting, is how they remove thermoplastic from tarmac, using a gas burner connected to air compressor, using a lance and burning it off.
Very noisy and dusty operation.

Plasma cutting for white lines.

As you say, VERY noisy.

I'm not too sure about thickening lines by re-tracing. Last year I kicked a built up white line and nearly broke my big toe...I kid you not...:crazy:

I went to hospital and they thought it was broken as it was blue and swollen all the way into my foot... fortunately it wasn't.

This is how 'rib lines' and hatchings on motorway slip roads are created.
Large deposits of thermoplastic are left in place, to create uneven surface which causes vibration to the stray vehicle wondering to far off the carriageway.

Most thermoplastic powders contain glass beads residues, which adds reflective properties visible at night.

This is how 'rib lines' and hatchings on motorway slip roads are created.
Large deposits of thermoplastic are left in place, to create uneven surface which causes vibration to the stray vehicle wondering to far off the carriageway.

Most thermoplastic powders contain glass beads residues, which adds reflective properties visible at night.

I know about rumble strips. This was a line in a Give Way line. It was night time and I walked across not paying particular attention when "bang", my boot stopped dead.
I couldn't walk for at least 5 minutes. :D
It took me a while to work out what I had stubbed my foot against. The line was two thick layers, but broken off at one end.

I know about rumble strips. This was a line in a Give Way line. It was night time and I walked across not paying particular attention when "bang", my boot stopped dead.
I couldn't walk for at least 5 minutes. :D
It took me a while to work out what I had stubbed my foot against. The line was two thick layers, but broken off at one end.

This will teach you from wondering at night in your flip flops ;)

This will teach you from wondering at night in your flip flops ;)

LOL. I was wearin' me trusty Timberlands.
I didn't dare take my boot off and had to walk home two miles to get the car to go to hospital...
Once I took my boot off, I couldn't get it back on.

I did a circuit of the M25 today in a Transit, through the sections in Kent and in Essex where the central reservations have been renewed and finally, they have put down the new road markings. What was obvious was quite how much damage is done to the road surface by removing the old markings, which in long stretches had been left untouched (I can't see any major resurfacing to be done with the new markings down). One bad winter and boy the potholes...

Why did you kick it? :dk:

Because it was there...

I was just walking and it happened to be at the bottom of the arc of my leg swing, so I stubbed it with the front of the sole of my boot.

Haha, I get the full picture of you now, kick first - ask questions later, bloody hooligan!!

Haha, I get the full picture of you now, kick first - ask questions later, bloody hooligan!!

It was purely accidental. I didn't notice the built up paint in the dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom