Goodbye E55, hello CL55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabreco

Car
CL55 AMG
So it is with some sadness that I report the demise of my E55 AMG and provides some substance to the analogy "as one door closes, another opens". I have to say though that I am mightily impressed with the safety and strength in the E55, I hit a 4x4 at 60mph on the M6 and despite fairly extensive damage I am alive to tell the tale. It also serves as a warning to the stupidity of brake testing drivers on a motorway in the overtaking lane, something that the other 5 drivers who had their cars written off in the incident would agree with as well I am sure. But compliments to MB for allowing me to walk away relatively unscathed.

Now time for another car, but it had to be a MB and also couldn't live without the power of the E55, so the end result was:

So what must be one of the early CL55 AMGs with the supercharged engine and with most of all the good toys included. Has FSH and a warranty and on the drive home (220 miles) could not find a serious thing wrong with it. Also has receipts for new ABC, valve block, and suspension from MB last year so a big bonus with that. There are a couple of things to address:

Travel on brake pedal seems excessive. Has new pads & discs, so will bleed the brakes to see if that helps
Sunroof blind has fallen to bits - new one ordered
The DX nav disc is missing - anyone have one available to buy, preferably costing less than a new kidney?
Think it is a Keyless Go model (has start/stop on gear shift), but no cards with the car.

So starting a new learning curve, but love the drive and look of the CL, especially in the black, my neighbours love it as well as it is so long it doesn't fit on my drive properly :doh:. Also loving the exhaust noise, does seem to be louder than the E55 (no surprise there I guess) and a deeper resonance to the exhaust note, although may get a few mods to develop that further.

Looking forward to the ride, any tips on the CL always well received

Driving a s211 myself its comforting to see how well stood upto the impact, Glad your ok btw.

The CL looks awesome ;)

An absolutely beautiful car, although I might be slightly biased :D

I think the facelifted CLs dropped the keyless-go cards and had them integrated into the keys themselves. As for other tips, keep a slush fund going as CL does stand for Costs Loads...

As for nav discs, I got mine directly from Mercedes (albeit the DVD for Europe) and it was about £107 so no organ donation necessary!

I'd be interested to know how the ride and handling compare to the E55 as I was thinking about one before I took the plunge for the CL.

Car is awesome!!!!!
Enjoy
Big bonus with that abc attended to :)

Are you able to tell us more about the "Brake Test" ?

Lovely car.

Oh yes, some plank in a Jag apparently brake tested some guy in a Avensis so the police said, to the degree that the Jag virtually stopped, causing cars to scatter in all directions to try and avoid him. 6 cars and a HGV involved which closed the M6 for an hour, so he was not at the top of several thousand driver's Christmas card list. Last I heard the case was being investigated by the Rozzers to see if charges can be brought against him.

An absolutely beautiful car, although I might be slightly biased :D

I think the facelifted CLs dropped the keyless-go cards and had them integrated into the keys themselves. As for other tips, keep a slush fund going as CL does stand for Costs Loads...

As for nav discs, I got mine directly from Mercedes (albeit the DVD for Europe) and it was about £107 so no organ donation necessary!

I'd be interested to know how the ride and handling compare to the E55 as I was thinking about one before I took the plunge for the CL.

Cheers mate, feel free to be as biased as you like :thumb:

No worries about the cost, the old E55 was not one to be funded with Clubcard tokens either, so well aware of the financial misery I have entered into :D Good tip on the Keyless Go, in that case the stop/start does not work and I will not be losing any sleep over that.
Interestingly I found the ride in the CL firmer than the E55, especially when the E55 was in Comfort mode on the suspension, but the handling so far is surprisingly similar, especially when the ABC is on. The car does "feel" a bit bigger and not really pushed it through the twisty stuff yet, but so far it does stand up quite well.

Is that the one that had ABC struts at main dealer - £3300, Discs and pads all round - £2200 and a list of other work done?

If so, that was a great looking car!

Edit : I think that one I saw was a pre-facelift car actually.

Glad you are OK, also comforting to know that the E55 can come out so well after a 60mph impact

Completely agree, battered and bruised but the SRS did its job really well, can't praise it highly enough. As one of the police guys said "if you were driving a Citroen C1 in that impact, we would be mopping you up off the carriageway", testament to the build strength and quality of MBs, you really do get what you pay for.

Is that the one that had ABC struts at main dealer - £3300, Discs and pads all round - £2200 and a list of other work done?

Yep, know the one you mean, but could only go for the compressor AMG :rock:

Beautiful and stunning in black !!

Sounds a well cared for example - health to drive

Do you have the advert link?

If it's an early facelift CL like mine (Jan 2003) it will have the Keyless cards. The combined key came later in the year with the 2004 model year I believe.
If you order a new keyless go key I'm pretty sure you'll get one of the combined keys.

Sorry to hear of your accident. Thankfully no injuries and yes the E55 did hold up fairly well considering the speed of impact.
Really liking your replacement CL. I don't blame you wanting the supercharged model either.After having one, it will take something pretty special to replace it.

If it's an early facelift CL like mine (Jan 2003) it will have the Keyless cards. The combined key came later in the year with the 2004 model year I believe.
If you order a new keyless go key I'm pretty sure you'll get one of the combined keys.

Interesting info that, just looked at the data sheet and sure enough it lists Keyless Go, so new key may be required for that to work, as first registered June 2003 so I guess the same as yours. I will keep digging, as also found out by chance (dealer did not pick up on this) that it has the Linguatronic fitted and it works perfectly :D

Linguatronic working perfectly? How could you tell? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom