Goodbye Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wivenhoe

Car
Was E350e - awaiting BMW 530e
Upfront I need to say I have had 6 Mercedes from new - needless to say I have always been very happy with them. I have had 2 CLK’s, an E Class Coupe, a CLS, a C350e and an E350e.

I wanted to change my E350e for a new E300e but Merc couldn’t deliver within 8 months and I couldn’t live with that. I went with a new BMW 530e M Sport. The £ 10k discount was the same on both cars. BMW delivery was 3 months even allowing for loads of options.

In order to provide the best px for my E350e the BMW dealer provided a free 530e ‘loaner’ for 2 weeks. Due to the excessive delivery period Merc weren’t able to provide any px value and they didn’t really want the car and said I would probably get a better deal from WeBuyAnyCar !

One of the frustrations with Merc was that they have really reduced the options available on the E Class. I wanted the same options on the E300e as the E300e but the hud & the massage seats weren’t available and the colour and interior options were restricted.

In the past I have found the Merc delivery period frustrating - no real updates from the dealer, I had to keep asking them where in the process we were (last 2 cars were months late). BMW send you emails informing where you are in the process. They kept to the original delivery date.

Having driven the 530e for a week the difference in technology is immense. Ignoring the different driving capabilities as they are aimed at different drivers. Just a few examples of other differences - the BMW has driver profiles which means each key sets everything for different drivers, you sit ‘in’ rather than ‘on’ the seats, the seats are more adjustable, the voice control is superb, the sat nav is far more informative, adaptive suspension (rather than Merc’s air suspension) reads the road ahead and current driving style, the consumption is much better, the hud is superior and the app is more user friendly.

I am sad to have left the Mercedes fold but in my case they have lost a lot of the reasons why I have bought 6 cars from them in the past

Goodbye

Bmw have been doing driver profiles for a good while now. My old e61 lci had that which was great when the wife used it. I do like my bmw's but still think the Mercedes have the edge on the interior quality. A mate of mine works as a tech at bmw and is always slating the build quality. Enjoy it i do like the new 5 series. Enjoy it mate if your happy that's all that matters. Let's see some pics

It still boggles my mind that MB don’t have profiles tied to the keys. My 2006 Jeep has that feature, my 2016 C350e? nope.

Good luck with the BMW, hope it treats you well.

Mercedes don’t do key profiles? Seriously?

Upfront I need to say I have had 6 Mercedes from new - needless to say I have always been very happy with them. I have had 2 CLK’s, an E Class Coupe, a CLS, a C350e and an E350e.

I wanted to change my E350e for a new E300e but Merc couldn’t deliver within 8 months and I couldn’t live with that. I went with a new BMW 530e M Sport. The £ 10k discount was the same on both cars. BMW delivery was 3 months even allowing for loads of options.

In order to provide the best px for my E350e the BMW dealer provided a free 530e ‘loaner’ for 2 weeks. Due to the excessive delivery period Merc weren’t able to provide any px value and they didn’t really want the car and said I would probably get a better deal from WeBuyAnyCar !

One of the frustrations with Merc was that they have really reduced the options available on the E Class. I wanted the same options on the E300e as the E300e but the hud & the massage seats weren’t available and the colour and interior options were restricted.

In the past I have found the Merc delivery period frustrating - no real updates from the dealer, I had to keep asking them where in the process we were (last 2 cars were months late). BMW send you emails informing where you are in the process. They kept to the original delivery date.

Having driven the 530e for a week the difference in technology is immense. Ignoring the different driving capabilities as they are aimed at different drivers. Just a few examples of other differences - the BMW has driver profiles which means each key sets everything for different drivers, you sit ‘in’ rather than ‘on’ the seats, the seats are more adjustable, the voice control is superb, the sat nav is far more informative, adaptive suspension (rather than Merc’s air suspension) reads the road ahead and current driving style, the consumption is much better, the hud is superior and the app is more user friendly.

I am sad to have left the Mercedes fold but in my case they have lost a lot of the reasons why I have bought 6 cars from them in the past

Goodbye
Yeah, but it's a BMW.:rolleyes::)

merc have 3 memory seat options only it seems. To me that seems fine. you press the button relevant to you. not as good as the key option which presumably you get 2 keys with the car ?

Disappointing that the dealership you were dealing with was quite inept but that's a lazy dealer for you. i too have had very variable service quality.

Still I'm shocked that mercedes wouldn't offer massage seats or HUD displays, that is a real step back if this basic optional equipment isnt available on a supposedly luxury model of car. how can an E class not offer massaging seats as an option baffles and shocks me.

Lastly , while at a guess I expect the M sport model to have the driving edge over the AMG line merc, these days things are closer than they used to be. I consequently expect the merc to have far better semi autonomous driving tech and a more opulent cabin. Depends on what one is after really.

Part Ex is very dealership specific. I personally wouldn't touch a 350E either ;)

I agree with the delivery timelines , but again this is dealership specific, my most recent dealership was excellent till I picked the car up. I got great info from them throughout. the precious merc stealership was not as good as keeping me informed at all and the night before my car's delivery date , I was told it was stuck on the assembly line because the dude putting the engine together couldn't finish it for whatever reason. I soon cancelled that car's build.

Another G30 owner here

£ for £ there isn’t a current MB that comes close which is a pity.

The MB dealers also need to look at themselves.

My S63 just has the memory buttons. I was surprised, TBH. It can store more than just the seat position, but takes no notice of which key is in use. Can’t say I find it a problem in use.

BMW = in most cases Bad Mannered *anker........

My 2008 Audi has key profiles (released from 2006) which sets seats, heater, radio and maybe more. It's mad if a new E Class doesn't do this.

BTW this should probably be in the defectors forum

merc have 3 memory seat options only it seems. To me that seems fine. you press the button relevant to you. not as good as the key option which presumably you get 2 keys with the car ?

Lastly , while at a guess I expect the M sport model to have the driving edge over the AMG line merc, these days things are closer than they used to be. I consequently expect the merc to have far better semi autonomous driving tech and a more opulent cabin. Depends on what one is after really.

Part Ex is very dealership specific. I personally wouldn't touch a 350E either ;)

I agree with the delivery timelines , but again this is dealership specific, my most recent dealership was excellent till I picked the car up. I got great info from them throughout. the precious merc stealership was not as good as keeping me informed at all and the night before my car's delivery date , I was told it was stuck on the assembly line because the dude putting the engine together couldn't finish it for whatever reason. I soon cancelled that car's build.

The Driver's profile saves much more than just seat positions. I really liked the Merc cabin, the BMW one is far more 'driver' focused which I am enjoying, probably because it's new to me. The semi autonomous driving is as good, if not better than the Merc. BMW's standard speed limiter isn't as good as Merc's - whilst it is easier to set (a button on the steering wheel) it doesn't brake so if you're driving downhill towards say a camera, the car speeds up over the limit !!!!. Using the driving assistance though, as with Merc, you can set it to stay within the speed limits.

Apple Car Play is accessed by bluetooth so you don't have to connect by a cable as per Merc's - much less faffing about. There is a nice touch, if you put the phone on the charge pad, when you turn the ignition off you get a reminder to take the phone.

The differences are not all one way - BMW charge for Car Play for instance !

I’m still exactly the same person - the cars haven’t changed me.

What where you before ......

And did that affect your evolutionary car buying descent .....

;)

£ for £ there isn’t a current MB that comes close which is a pity.

I have had three C Classes (200 petrol and 220 diesel) and three 3 Series (320 petrol and diesel) hires over the last few months.

The C isn't a bad car. But the older F30 is IMO a marginally nicer car. The G20 has the benefit of being newer and is better - if IMO a bit soulless. Choosing between what is now a older (but refined) design of C vs the equivalent model 3 Series or the newer G20 3 Series? Sort of first world problem. They are both excellent. The differences are down to niggles and subjectivity.

By better - I mean in terms of how it feels sit in, how it feels to drive. Pretty subjective.

The one bugbear I have with BMW is the satnav and some aspects of the user interface on the steering wheel. I prefer the C class stering wheel controls. However the change from using a cruise control stalk to the steering wheels switch on the C class is an irritation as MB had the best setup of any car IMO and just threw it away. I don't care for or against the C class transmission selector stalk vs centre console shift lever. The MB 9 speed transmission is IMO now as good as the BMW 8 speed ZF in day to day use. I prefer the interior of the BMWs.

The Driver's profile saves much more than just seat positions. I really liked the Merc cabin, the BMW one is far more 'driver' focused which I am enjoying, probably because it's new to me. The semi autonomous driving is as good, if not better than the Merc. BMW's standard speed limiter isn't as good as Merc's - whilst it is easier to set (a button on the steering wheel) it doesn't brake so if you're driving downhill towards say a camera, the car speeds up over the limit !!!!. Using the driving assistance though, as with Merc, you can set it to stay within the speed limits.

Apple Car Play is accessed by bluetooth so you don't have to connect by a cable as per Merc's - much less faffing about. There is a nice touch, if you put the phone on the charge pad, when you turn the ignition off you get a reminder to take the phone.

The differences are not all one way - BMW charge for Car Play for instance !
not sure how the semi autonomous systems can be better if the car cant brake itself when a speed is set

but I stand by my thinking that if the e class cant offer a HUD or massaging seats then it is a bit disappointment. it will be hard to argue that the 5 series will be more comfortable for passengers, the E class is immense but from a driver's enjoyment perspective, the 5 series will be the pick. BMW generally give their cars great 50 50 front to rear balance and a superior driver focus (AMGs aside )

What where you before ......

And did that affect your evolutionary car buying descent .....

;)

I was me before :)

Still want another S Class though so I doubt there is any descent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom