Goodbye Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Care to explain ?

I’ve owned Audi, VW, Mercedes and BMW

I’m still exactly the same person - the cars haven’t changed me.
Lololololol

It still boggles my mind that MB don’t have profiles tied to the keys. My 2006 Jeep has that feature, my 2016 C350e? nope.

Good luck with the BMW, hope it treats you well.

With MBUX that we have on A, B, CLA, GLC, GLE, GLS you now have driver profiles that are selected on the screen. That’ll be coming to E Class at facelift in the spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s just a button relocation. The option to tie it to a key seems to be the one some people want.

We only use the one key, the other is kept in the safe, so having driver profiles on the key would be useless to us as the wife would still have to change seat and mirror positions every time she got in the car. A button on the door card is fine for us

That’s just a button relocation. The option to tie it to a key seems to be the one some people want.

No it’s not. Previously the only option with Mercedes were memory seats. With MBUX you have user profiles where everything from your seats, to the display styles, ambient lighting and system favourites all change when you get in the car

This is something another manufacturer offered 10 years ago, albeit they did tie it to the key. They also had 3 memory buttons on the door for good measure. It’s about offering customers options to customise and choices about how they implement it.

By now I’d expect car makers to have an app and do it based on your phone when you get it. That’s just my personal opinion.

I would hazard a guess that MB are focusing on the fleet market in the UK in a "pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap" fashion, and not on the retail market where buyers tend to order high-end variants with customised options.

Upfront I need to say I have had 6 Mercedes from new - needless to say I have always been very happy with them. I have had 2 CLK’s, an E Class Coupe, a CLS, a C350e and an E350e.

I wanted to change my E350e for a new E300e but Merc couldn’t deliver within 8 months and I couldn’t live with that. I went with a new BMW 530e M Sport. The £ 10k discount was the same on both cars. BMW delivery was 3 months even allowing for loads of options.

In order to provide the best px for my E350e the BMW dealer provided a free 530e ‘loaner’ for 2 weeks. Due to the excessive delivery period Merc weren’t able to provide any px value and they didn’t really want the car and said I would probably get a better deal from WeBuyAnyCar !

One of the frustrations with Merc was that they have really reduced the options available on the E Class. I wanted the same options on the E300e as the E300e but the hud & the massage seats weren’t available and the colour and interior options were restricted.

In the past I have found the Merc delivery period frustrating - no real updates from the dealer, I had to keep asking them where in the process we were (last 2 cars were months late). BMW send you emails informing where you are in the process. They kept to the original delivery date.

Having driven the 530e for a week the difference in technology is immense. Ignoring the different driving capabilities as they are aimed at different drivers. Just a few examples of other differences - the BMW has driver profiles which means each key sets everything for different drivers, you sit ‘in’ rather than ‘on’ the seats, the seats are more adjustable, the voice control is superb, the sat nav is far more informative, adaptive suspension (rather than Merc’s air suspension) reads the road ahead and current driving style, the consumption is much better, the hud is superior and the app is more user friendly.

I am sad to have left the Mercedes fold but in my case they have lost a lot of the reasons why I have bought 6 cars from them in the past

Goodbye
Can't say you haven't been loyal to the Merc brand, so enjoy your new motor. :)

With MBUX that we have on A, B, CLA, GLC, GLE, GLS you now have driver profiles that are selected on the screen. That’ll be coming to E Class at facelift in the spring

It still seems the obvious choice to me that you tie a profile to something the profile user would uniquely have with them...like the key (phone would work for many too as has been noted). For the Jeep, the missus and I have our own key. We unlock the car and find the seat in the right place, the mirrors, the radio set where we had it last. I'm taller than my missus - I physically cannot get in the MB with the seat in the position she uses so have to stand outside with my finger on the memory button on the door while the seat moves before I can get in - IMO, very poor.

not sure how the semi autonomous systems can be better if the car cant brake itself when a speed is set

but I stand by my thinking that if the e class cant offer a HUD or massaging seats then it is a bit disappointment. it will be hard to argue that the 5 series will be more comfortable for passengers, the E class is immense but from a driver's enjoyment perspective, the 5 series will be the pick. BMW generally give their cars great 50 50 front to rear balance and a superior driver focus (AMGs aside )

Sorry - I didn’t make it clear that the limit that doesn’t work as well is the standard one, not the one in Driving Assistance. The standard Merc one does brake to keep you within the limit whereas the BMW doesn’t. Also, it’s too easy to override the BMW one.
I took 2 people with me in the back of the Merc to collect the Beemer and much to my surprise they both said that they preferred the back seats to the Merc !

JBD. That really is my point ...... coming at the facelift months ahead. BMW treat their 5 Series as a junior 7 and pass down all the ‘tech’ to it first, Merc seem to have decided that the E Class should come after the A, B, CLA - cars circa 50% of the cost of an optioned E Class. I so much wanted remain with Mercedes but their offering on the E is nowhere near as good as BMW have on the 5.

JBD. That really is my point ...... coming at the facelift months ahead. BMW treat their 5 Series as a junior 7 and pass down all the ‘tech’ to it first, Merc seem to have decided that the E Class should come after the A, B, CLA - cars circa 50% of the cost of an optioned E Class. I so much wanted remain with Mercedes but their offering on the E is nowhere near as good as BMW have on the 5.

That’s simply down to when the models changed. NTG5.5 was launched on E Class, which then filtered down. Thinking of it logically, surely the compact cars have drivers of the younger and more connected type anyway, so it’s only logical

That’s simply down to when the models changed. NTG5.5 was launched on E Class, which then filtered down. Thinking of it logically, surely the compact cars have drivers of the younger and more connected type anyway, so it’s only logical

All I can say to that is that luckily not all manufacturers think like that and are happy to provide the options that buyers want, rather than dictated to by ‘packages’. How are the sales doing on the E & S Class ?

All I can say to that is that luckily not all manufacturers think like that and are happy to provide the options that buyers want, rather than dictated to by ‘packages’. How are the sales doing on the E & S Class ?
here is a snapshot of European sales of the E and the 5 series from the same site, car sales. Each model has their pros and cons and sales volumes are similar.

Screenshot_20191105-060441_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191105-060356_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom