GOODBYE MONDEO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never had a Mondeo, but do have the engine out of one in the Westfield :) Came close to buying an ST24 at one point though. Most of my cars have been Italian but my first car was a Ford Anglia, and I had a 2.8 Capri for a long time, which was a hoot.

Blame the rise of the SUV too.

Sad to see the Mondy go. I was always quite disparaging about them until a change of job forced me to buy a sensible mile muncher and relegate/promote the Alfa to weekend duties. I had a 2009 Titanium X hatchback. It was truly superb. Many fully laden trips through Europe with bikes without a problem. Only issue I had in well over 100k miles was a flywheel. Handling was brilliant, you could really hustle. And everything worked well, even the voice control thing. Wonder what will replace it?

I had one in the mid 90’s, probably the best £ for £ car I’ve owned

I bought a 2006 pre reg estate in black when I was into dog shows. It felt quite a big car to drive compared to the smaller estates I've had since (xtype, 330d, c class, a4). I haven't checked the measurements but it always felt like a big car.
Forgot, I also had a 2 litre R reg when I had my mx5 so I had a dog wagon. It was very reliable.
Quentin Wilson has just been on the bbc news telling everyone to buy the ST versions as they will rise in value now.

Never had one but drove a few , couldn't get over how Ford managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat with these giant leaps of design , Cortina , Sierra , Mondeo .

With the Mondeo they got a good steering feel and traction , whereas the Vauxhall Cavalier just felt wooly , understeered and span the front wheels for England , this never got fixed with the Vectra either .

Their 5 door boot size outshone even some so called estate cars , one of the best comparisons was Mondeo hatch Vs Vauxhall Insignia estate .

The BTCC was a blast .

It's a sad day. I grew up as a kid with the Cortina, a teenager with Sierra's and the Mondeo as a (occasionally) fully-fledged adult. I bought a year-old 57-plate 2.5T Titanium X for two years and did about 60k in it. It went OK, was fully loaded, very comfortable and I can't remember it going wrong at all. I do remember the hideous fuel consumption from that Volvo five-pot engine though.

I might be a rare beast due to the fact that during my 15 years as a company car driver bang in the middle of the Mondeo era and we were burning through cars every 18 to 24 months I never had one . As a lowly field service engineer it was one of the cars 'allowed' at my pay grade, but I made other choices .

I only drove one once , my mate needed a car with a towbar for a day so I loaned him my Honda and I took his Mondeo , we worked for the same company together so the insurance etc was no bother.

The +/- 150 miles I did in that car were horrible , It was almost brand new but for some idiotic reason he had ordered a diesel version I think it had a non turbo 1.8 , It was frucking dire (remember I was driving a 2.0 Honda Accord at the time) I think my car had about 65K mile on it and when he handed it back he realised he had made a massive mistake ordering a diesel Mondeo. He was right.

As a result I never looked at one again , shame really, I think I might have missed out as they made some decent models as time went by.

I had mk1, 2 and 3, enjoyed driving them all. Then bought my first Mercedes!

I've had 3 Mondeo's as company cars, the first two issued, the third my choice. All 3 did 100k+ miles & were more reliable than the two Mercedes I have owned. They were of course tarnished as being 'Reps' cars such is the car snobbery in this country & many would die rather than have one on their drive. I never ended a long drive feeling fatigued, they were spacious & had sufficient specifications devoid of unnecessary frippery. To continue the Ford theme further I also had a Sapphire & the experience was as per Mondeo & if I needed a daily driver now a Focus would be fine.

I've had 3 Mondeo's as company cars, the first two issued, the third my choice. All 3 did 100k+ miles & were more reliable than the two Mercedes I have owned. They were of course tarnished as being 'Reps' cars such is the car snobbery in this country & many would die rather than have one on their drive. I never ended a long drive feeling fatigued, they were spacious & had sufficient specifications devoid of unnecessary frippery. To continue the Ford theme further I also had a Sapphire & the experience was as per Mondeo & if I needed a daily driver now a Focus would be fine.
Same here. Even when those drives were in the middle of the night! Ended up setting off on a 200 mile trip at midnight on a stormy winter night with my parents when my wife unexpectedly went into labour early. Started with less than a quarter tank of diesel and it was a good 50 miles in before we came across a petrol station that was open. Made it in good time for the birth of my daughter.

The same Mondeo was used to move all of our belongings when we moved into our house. No need to rent a van or hire a removal company as the Mondeo was a hatchback (and money was tight at the time!).

if I needed a daily driver now a Focus would be fine.
In laws pick up a factory order Focus in 2 weeks. Great looking car and a wonderful standard spec plus a few added goodies.

I’ve never heard a bad word said about them, only good. Shame to see such things come to an end.

I miss the Omega/Scorpio, when they slipped away the luxury car segment list something more than just two models.

Unfortunately if the Mondeo can’t cut it then that probably means that the Insignia might not be far behind.

I had a Mk4 from 2010 to 2019. Bought it when it was only four months old and half price (got to love a Ford discount). Kept it nine years and it was utterly brilliant. Fantastic to drive, totally reliable and even good looking as I had the Titanium Sport version (stupid name)! I understand why the market is no longer viable. SUVs rule now. But it’s a shame as it was a brilliant family car. Massive hatchback was great when my boys were young and we had to load in buggies etc. RIP!

Sad to see it go the history line. What'll be the new model? Resurrection of Cortina or Taunus?

I’ve never owned a Ford of any kind. But I do have two particular memories of Mondeos (or ”Mundaneos” as my son calls them).

About 15 years ago I was driving along the M3 in a part ex Mondeo that we’d taken in. The fuel gauge and OBC indicated that there was more than enough petrol to get me to where I was going to drop the car off. Wrong. It spluttered to a halt during roadworks that limited the motorway to 1 lane plus the hard shoulder. I sat on the banking a very long time waiting for a colleague with a can of petrol. Took him forever to get through the 5 mile hold up that I’d caused due to highly in accurate instrumentation on that Mondeo!

A much better experience was in Florida about 7 years ago when I rented a car that I later discovered was a Mondeo. The large (about 4 litre if I recall) V6 was a delight during our driving tour of the State. It was a very comfortable car and the only thing I could fault was the badge stuck on the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom