Goodbye S211 - Hello Sportbrake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
Finally got there. :bannana:

It took me a couple of years longer than I would have liked to do the transition, for a couple of reasons I'll not bother you with here.

The photos:

The sight which greeted me at the dealership:
IMG_0145_zpsqrndnzjq.jpg

IMG_0146_zpsxio5rnpa.jpg

IMG_0147_zpsqkmjyzot.jpg

Got it home in one piece:
IMG_0148_zpsue6bgqzn.jpg

The real body colour:
IMG_0149_zpsxsfgnefm.jpg

It's chalk and cheese in comparison with the S211. It is so much taughter, faster and agile that the difference is almost surreal.

I am just blown away by it.

Great to see you back corned! :thumb:

Lovely new car, and a beautiful colour.

Hey up, Mr Dazzler! Good to see you're still around too mate.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I have to say, the colour took some waiting for, but it was well worth it.

I remain true to my own "anti-monochrome" rhetoric. :D

Beautiful colour. Some interior shots would be nice please.

Thanks, guys.

Druk - your wish is my command...

IMG_0154_zps0habdtwd.jpg

The panel in the bumper at the bottom is the trapdoor for the factory towbar. Have to find a use for that! :)

IMG_0157_zpsy3spsuqi.jpg

IMG_0158_zpsanrdrjcn.jpg

Suede headlining is wonderfully tactile. (And smells great!)
IMG_0159_zpsfysz8vfr.jpg

IMG_0160_zpsg6ebty85.jpg

Photographs do not do these cars justice. You really do have to see them in the flesh to really see the quality of the materials and finish. And of course, photographs don't convey the wonderful smell...

So far it is returning over 50mpg, and that's with the cruise set at 70, 5-up, and with the dog in the back. For a 275bhp motor pulling a near 2-tonne car, that's nothing short of phenomenal.

It's about the same weight as the S211 but feels much lighter because it is so agile and responsive. The S211 seems so ponderous, sluggish and heavy by comparison.

The steering is light and communicative, and weights up really nicely on the motorway - it's an absolute delight. This one has active suspension, which is firm but very well controlled. Jags have always had good suspension.

The V6 is turbine-smooth and utterly silent. The 8-speed 'box is smooth and rifle-bolt slick with the changes. Paddle shifts are instant, up or down, and get this - it changes gear when YOU tell it - not when it decides (after a lengthy debate) to finally agree with you, or to simply ignore you altogether. Again, a delight.

When you switch it into dynamic mode, it really hardens up - both the suspension and the drivetrain mapping - and performs to a whole new level. I've not really explored that part of the envelope as yet cos it's damn quick as it is.

The 825W surround-sound audio system is epic.

Downsides are it's smaller inside than the S211, there's no escaping that. There are also much fewer storage spaces, although the ones there are are usefully sized. The tailgate is powered, but the load cover isn't motorised. You have to slide that up the C-pillars yourself.

It also has the paedo-tints fitted, which I wouldn't have spec'ed myself but as the interior is light anyway they do not spoil things.

And it goes like nasty shuff off a shovel, actually a bit scary if I'm honest. But I dare say I'll get used to it. :rock:

I'm a big fan of the XF, I loved both the twin turbo diesel Portfolio and the XF-R I owned, and have always thought that it's a successor to the W211.

Yes,Jaguar have got it 100% right with the estate,you have a fine refined car sir.:thumb:

Well done, Keith. :thumb:

I really like 'em and know a guy in the motor/bodyshop trade who's had a lot of high end motors who swears by his XF diesel.

Ensure the ZF gearbox has the correct Lifeguard fluid when it eventually comes to be serviced. ;)

Lovely car. Happy motoring. :thumb:

Awesome looking cars. It seems Jag have got their whole range looking really smart.

That is a superb colour too.

Where's the gear selector Keith, on the column or is it the rotating knob thingy and if so how does it work alongside the other functions?
And is the suede standard on the Portfolio or another extra?

Really like it :thumb:.

We nearly got one of these instead if our current E Class. If the dealer had actually given us a quote after we'd been for a test drive we'd probably be driving one now - They simply didn't bother. Which was odd.

Gorgeous car! Well done, the current crop of Jaguars really really inspire me.

I will be taking my first small Jaguar ownership step this Saturday, not a new car, but in all likelihood one of the new cars will replace my Volvo when that comes to the end of its lease.

Where's the gear selector Keith, on the column or is it the rotating knob thingy and if so how does it work alongside the other functions?
And is the suede standard on the Portfolio or another extra?

Really like it :thumb:.

It is on the centre console, and yes it's the rising rotating thingumy-jig. I reckon it's a great security feature because it only rises when you fire the car up, otherwise it's flush with the surround and therefore impossible to move. And if you can't get it out of park...

The suede is unique to the "Diesel S" versions, either in Portfolio or Premium Luxury trim. This one is a Portfolio. I wanted to do it properly!! :)

Well done, Keith. :thumb:

I really like 'em and know a guy in the motor/bodyshop trade who's had a lot of high end motors who swears by his XF diesel.

Ensure the ZF gearbox has the correct Lifeguard fluid when it eventually comes to be serviced. ;)

Lovely car. Happy motoring. :thumb:

Hello, matey. Was looking to have its inaugural run out to see you on Friday. Alas it was not to be. Next time!!

I have a suspicion I know the guy you know in the bodyshop trade. I@ll bear the 'box fluid recommendation in mind mate.

Gorgeous car! Well done, the current crop of Jaguars really really inspire me.

I will be taking my first small Jaguar ownership step this Saturday, not a new car, but in all likelihood one of the new cars will replace my Volvo when that comes to the end of its lease.

Hello Charles. Thanks for your kind words. The dealership was a very pleasant place to while away an hour or so. I can't get to grips with the coal-hole interiors of the sport XE, especially with the huge wide B pillars. It looks really oppressive in there. The lighter interiors however are a treat.

If estates are your thing, I am reliably informed the current absence of any estate in the line-up is soon to be retified - both in XF and XE forms. You heard it here first. Or maybe not.

And I'll watch this column to see which cat graces, paces, and spaces your driveway soon. Salut!

Hello Charles. Thanks for your kind words. The dealership was a very pleasant place to while away an hour or so. I can't get to grips with the coal-hole interiors of the sport XE, especially with the huge wide B pillars. It looks really oppressive in there. The lighter interiors however are a treat.

If estates are your thing, I am reliably informed the current absence of any estate in the line-up is soon to be retified - both in XF and XE forms. You heard it here first. Or maybe not.

And I'll watch this column to see which cat graces, paces, and spaces your driveway soon. Salut!

I thought Jaguar had stated there would not be an XE estate on the grounds it would take sales from the F-pace.

http://www.carsuk.net/no-jaguar-xe-estate-xf-sportbrake-says-ian-callum/

I thought Jaguar had stated there would not be an XE estate on the grounds it would take sales from the F-pace.

NO Jaguar XE Estate or XF Sportbrake says Ian Callum. AGAIN.

Yeah, that's what they said originally, but maybe it's finally dawned on them that the sales they're hosing away to Ze Germans is a rather bigger threat than options in their own model range.

I guess their marketing guys aren't/weren't too bright - proved beyond doubt by the naming of the new SUV. What a stupid name. P-Face.

That's if the guys at the dealership were telling the truth, of course...

Well, not my driveway but that of the seller, the car however now mine, a mint 100k mile Antigua Blue 1997 XJR which was an absolute joy to drive back from the west country today. Gorgeous ride, an effortless supercharged straight six, and a lovely place to be. I am asking myself, why only now? It's my kind of car to a T!

jaguar_zpsufl5o10t.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom