Goodbye S211 - Hello Sportbrake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello, matey. Was looking to have its inaugural run out to see you on Friday. Alas it was not to be. Next time!!

I have a suspicion I know the guy you know in the bodyshop trade. I@ll bear the 'box fluid recommendation in mind mate.

I look forward to seeing the you and the car soon, Keith. I suppose any excuse will do at the moment. :)

Not the bodyshop owner you are thinking about. The guy with the XF has had many-a-Jaguar (plus all sorts of other high-end stuff) over the years and still has a Rolls Royce in his stable. That he lauds the XF so much is quite an accolade.

Well, not my driveway but that of the seller, the car however now mine, a mint 100k mile Antigua Blue 1997 XJR which was an absolute joy to drive back from the west country today. Gorgeous ride, an effortless supercharged straight six, and a lovely place to be. I am asking myself, why only now? It's my kind of car to a T!

jaguar_zpsufl5o10t.jpg

Lovely! Not as practical for me as the estates I seem to own as a matter of course, but I really should have owned one of those by now.
If I ever sell my Range Rover...

I had a "run" with an XJR on a section of the M5 - I was surprised at the amount of loud pedal I needed to keep up with it - very impressive :thumb:.

Lovely! Not as practical for me as the estates I seem to own as a matter of course, but I really should have owned one of those by now.
If I ever sell my Range Rover...

Definitely not practical, I have always been an estate man, but they are really very good (and way more comfortable than anything I've owned).

It is on the centre console, and yes it's the rising rotating thingumy-jig. I reckon it's a great security feature because it only rises when you fire the car up, otherwise it's flush with the surround and therefore impossible to move. And if you can't get it out of park...

The suede is unique to the "Diesel S" versions, either in Portfolio or Premium Luxury trim. This one is a Portfolio. I wanted to do it properly!! :)

My brother had an XF for a while. The first day he drove it home he parked at the top of his drive (steep hill), to move the bin that was in the way....

He forget to turn the wheel to P.... He did quite a bit of damage to car and house.... He does not like the wheel!

Looks like a lovely car and love the colour.

Yeah, that's what they said originally, but maybe it's finally dawned on them that the sales they're hosing away to Ze Germans is a rather bigger threat than options in their own model range.

I guess their marketing guys aren't/weren't too bright - proved beyond doubt by the naming of the new SUV. What a stupid name. P-Face.

That's if the guys at the dealership were telling the truth, of course...

Found this today - Definitely an XF sportbrake to come.

I'll do a proper thread on my XJR when I have more photos, but really pleased that my local garage found only old tyres (consistent with a low mile car) and slightly worn rear anti roll bar bushes as the only things that slightly bothered them, describing the car as really clean all round. Fingers crossed so far...

I'll do a proper thread on my XJR when I have more photos, but really pleased that my local garage found only old tyres (consistent with a low mile car) and slightly worn rear anti roll bar bushes as the only things that slightly bothered them, describing the car as really clean all round. Fingers crossed so far...

Leave my sticker on for the photo's. ;)

D-18's post reminds me I've been fiddling with my motor recently.

The dashboard wood blade was a different wood to the rest of the trim. Bizarre. So I sourced a new trim piece of the matching kind, which was from salvage and a bit scuffed and scratched, but cheap. Very cheap.

So I sanded it down and polished the scratches and scuffs out of it, and it came up like new. I used the 3M headlamp polishing kit I bought ages ago for the S211, reckoning that the materials would be fairly similar, which proved to be the case.

And so to the photos...

This one shows the problem:
IMG_0267_zpsl3jwigoc.jpg

This area was quite heavily scored and scuffed:
IMG_0269_zps1ldynpyy.jpg

Out with the old...
IMG_0270_zpskexlth5g.jpg

... and in with the new. Job jobbed!
IMG_0272_zpsxbi7lems.jpg

Corned, that looks like a cracking job you've done. The 'new' wood looks much better.

I get jealous when I see your beige interior - I could only find black / charcoal ones when I was looking. Dark exterior with a light interior always looks good to me. :thumb:

I had the pleasure of a brief sit in Keith's car earlier this week.
What a lovely environment in which to travel.
The smell of the interior is similar to that of my Range Rover in that it has seats made using real leather.
I'm still rubbing my eyes after seeing the return of over 72MPG.
I can see myself owning one of these in the future. A lovely car.

The Jaguar Appreciation Society

Had the pleasure of the company of D-18 through the week and topped it off with a very nice drive in his Jag.

Despite his protests I reckon the ride is better than both the 211 and the 212 although to be fair his is a saloon and mine are both estates.

It is the cockpit that takes the biscuit though. How much nicer to look at than the austere looking Merc. As he pointed out: it is inside what the 212 should have been. It's just not fair :(

Jags are for old farts like you guys.

Younger farts too!

Once you get the Jag bug, Benzes seem a bit Insignia ish.

O my , you're an older fart.

Had the pleasure of the company of D-18 through the week and topped it off with a very nice drive in his Jag.

Despite his protests I reckon the ride is better than both the 211 and the 212 although to be fair his is a saloon and mine are both estates.

It is the cockpit that takes the biscuit though. How much nicer to look at than the austere looking Merc. As he pointed out: it is inside what the 212 should have been. It's just not fair :(

I still think the W211 (AG trim on 16" wheels) for my tastes, rides better than my Jaguar on it's rather daft 19" wheels. In terms of agility though, the Jaguar is much better. I think the XF is probably a half-way house between the involvement of a 5-Series and the detachment of a Mercedes.

There is quite a strong feeling on the Jag forums that the new model XF is not quite as 'special' inside as the outgoing model. That's how I felt about the MB models which succeeded the W211....

Jaguars are not without their problems / issues too, but as an overall package they certainly appeal more to me than any of the current MB range.

To be frank though, driving an XF / E-Class / 5-series / A6 is scarcely a hardship is it?

Mercedes used to be as well, now they've gone for the riff-raff market...;)
You're right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom