Goodbye

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin. This will inevitably be a ramble, but then many of you will have grown to expect that from me. How long a ramble, I don’t yet know.

What I do know is that this is me saying goodbye. I hasten to add that it’s just a goodbye to this forum. A few weeks ago it was nearly a goodbye to everything following a very traumatic incident that resulted in me losing one of my younger sisters. It was the result of her mental anguish, and in her disturbed condition she lay the blame at my feet before departing. We had been very close and always had a lot of time for each other, despite living on opposite sides of the world for over 40 years. I was so distraught that I nearly followed her. But I was reminded that I have extra responsibilities in the form of my beautiful three-year old daughter, and then I saw a post of Facebook of all places that said “Suicide doesn’t remove the pain, it just passes it on.” Those words will stay with me, not least because I’m one of the people my sister passed her pain to. I’m slowly recovering from the shock, but I’ll never forget. I’ve been lucky to have lots of support, including from one of our members here. Thank you.

Why leave the forum? I’ve been a fairly active member since 2012 and gained a lot from it. From what I’ve seen of other social networks it’s definitely one of the most informative and balanced out there. The wide range of knowledge and experience of the members provides just the right mix to make it interesting. All that’s missing is more contribution from the ladies. The members are mostly well behaved too, thanks in part of course to the administrators handing out warnings when things start getting a bit too warm.

It hasn’t always been wonderful for me here, unfortunately having had a couple of “issues”. Fairly early on I learnt all about the power of admin when I criticised a member who had posted a disgusting opinion of a well known and successful sportsman, expressing a level of hate that was frightening to read. That member didn’t like being criticised and reported me, resulting in a week’s ban for me and nothing for him! And then we all had to suffer Dieselman who, to give him his due, was nasty to everybody. Fortunately he’s now long gone, but hopefully come to his senses by now.

And of course we can’t forget DrF - as much as I’d like to. He and I have fallen out on many an occasion, in his present and past guises. Our exchanges have amused some and annoyed others. Sorry to those I’ve annoyed. DrFeelhimself (as I must call him because he insists on bastardising my pseudonym every time - either through ignorance or sheer bloody mindedness) is one of those sad people who feels the need to constantly have digs at folk for no apparent reason and totally without provocation. It may be envy as someone recently suggested or it may be that he’s lonely and seeking attention, but to be honest I no longer care. I had my rant at him recently when he had yet another unwarranted and totally irrelevant go at me, purely it seemed in order to aggravate me for his own satisfaction. He picked the wrong time. It wouldn’t have been any good letting him know what I was going through right then because he comes across as having the sensitivity of a concrete block. He’s just one of those people who get their kicks from hurting others. Fortunately he’s in the minority, but I do know that he and his ilk have caused a few nice people to leave this forum. However I refuse to grant him the pleasure of thinking he’s the reason I’m leaving too.

What’s been the counter to all that is all the fantastic members here. So many intelligent conversations that have been truly rewarding. There have been many opinions I’ve disagreed with, but those opinions have been so well expressed that they have warranted my respect. The discussions have been on such a wide range of subjects they’ve been hard to ignore. Some of those excellent contributors have left unfortunately, and are clearly missed by many. But lots remain and I’m confident they’ll continue to educate, inform, entertain and assist. I really appreciate the part they’ve played and particularly thank those with whom I’ve had private conversations. Thank you all.

The question still remains: why leave the forum? It’s because I recently updated to iOS 12. Apple’s latest operating system now tells me how much screen time I’m subjecting myself to, and where that time is being spent. The “quickie distractions” pale into insignificance compared to the time I spend here. It’s frightening to see how many hours get clocked up. Despite being retired and (mostly) the master of my own time, I have far more important things to do and I’ve decided that’s where I should be concentrating instead of here. So it’s time to say thank you and
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm sorry to read this, and sorry to read about the passing of your sister. You're right, your daughter needs you, so don't plan on going anywhere soon.

ScreenTime also allows you to set yourself limits, so why not consider just limiting the time you spend here rather than cutting it out entirely?

It's odd because there are some members I really can't stand that others don't seem to mind, and some that others really don't like who I rather align with. That's part of the fun of a public forum I guess. It'd be boring if we all got along all the time.

I hope you don't leave, but if you do, all the best.

Firstly my condolences for the recent loss of your sister, I can imagine both the event and circumstances were and will be incredibly hard to deal with but you will do so in time and with the support of your family.

I can also fully understand how such an event makes an intelligent and thoughtful person such as yourself stop and take stock of life and make a choice to change direction etc. Perhaps with time you will find the odd gap in a week to catch up on here and post a contribution or just enjoy reading some of the posts from others.

As for "Dr F*%$" , well he is one of a small number of those typically brave members here able to hide behind a keyboard dribbling his pathetic venom which presumably gives him his little thrills! I, like you, put him in my ignored members list some time ago.

Wherever your future needs take you I wish good luck and good health to you and your family.

David

Last edited:
Tim,

As above, condolences and thoughts to you and your family.

Totally respect your decision to leave and understand the reasons why. You will be missed by me and many others here for your extra long ramblings :)

However, I’ve taken time out many times over the years because I too felt I was neglecting what was most important to me to spend time here. Maybe have a break and pop in occasionally to just read or make a few posts?

Or as @MancMike says limit yourself to a set time a few times per week.

Either way, all the best to you and your girls and take care of yourself.

Ant. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much I can add. Your comments in the past I have enjoyed so please don't think you won't be missed. And the 'passing on of the pain' is a quick lesson I will adopt, thank you.

All I implore you to do is not be closed to returning or watching from afar....

Take care of you and yours. [emoji106]
Lennox.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

All the best from me too, sad to see anyone leave a forum although I can understand why, but as suggested why not restrict when you look on here. I had to get out the habit of picking the I pad up when the tv ads came on . Now I check a couple of times during the day.

Sorry for your loss. Very tough situation for anybody.

As for the forum, this does seem to be a pretty decent place to 'hangout'. As you say, it's well moderated and in general is frequented by people that are happy to discuss a range of issues without getting all bent out of shape when someone disagrees with them. So I think it has a low DQ (d!ckhead quotient). If the DQ was zero it would be all rather dull, so I'm personally OK with it as is (actually I don't know if I'm helping to keep it low or pushing it up..). All that said, if you feel it's time for you to leave, then it's time. Doesn't mean you can't come back sometime in the future as when you feel the need.

So in closing, please accept my condolences and my best wishes for the future.

Sorry to hear about your sister KE.

I can't imagine what that situation must be like but I guess it was quite tough to discover - especially if you didn't see it coming.

I think you and I have seen eye to eye on most things I think.

It is a shame we have to endure the keyboard warriors but that's life and what the ignore section is for!

You know what you need to do, and whilst it is sad that the better members leave, I can understand your decision.

Best wishes to your closest and good luck in the future...

Terrible news about your sister, really is earth shattering, sorry for your loss KE.

I know we’ve had our disagreements in the past but I’d just like to say that I think the forum will be poorer for your absence but fully accept your reasons for doing so and if you do decide to completely end your involvement in the forum then goodbye and I wish you all the best.

You have given me so much support over the years. I am truly sad to read of your pain. I would say never say never. But I also understand and support you decision. Maybe read the replies that will come here and try to have another think about how to move forward.

On a personal note I want you to stay and will miss your posts and support.

Whatever your choice? I wish you well. Pm me if we can stay in touch. I would like that.

Bruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a relatively new member on here but have enjoyed your contributions, devastated to hear about your Sister, thank God you can see the wood for the trees thanks to your daughter, pain like that never heals but as time goes on you will manage to park it easier.

I know where you are coming from, more important things in life, I only hope for our sake you make it a break rather than permanent departure as you will be missed by many!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I'm a big reader of this forum and only a small poster and I'll definitely miss you not being here. As soon as I saw any thread started by yourself I knew that I'd get a great deal of pleasure from reading it. I genuinely hope your sorrow heals quickly.

Last edited:
I’m very sorry to hear about your loss and recent difficult times.

Hang around, it’s not so bad here. Visit less often and when you do don’t stay for quite so long.

If you decide it really is time for cold turkey, then know you will be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom