Goodwill repair, what are my chances?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just make sure it is the same year as the complainant.

My nephew is thinking of buying a Ford Mondeo and I know we all like to think our problems are worse than anyone else's but do a search for Mondeo doors rust.

Okay, for all the snobs out there yes it is 'just a Ford' but it is someone's pride and joy and the owners of Ford's should have the same rights as any car owners but there are AWFUL problems with rusting doors on these vehicles, some of which are only five years old and not only must their cars have a FULL MAIN DEALER SRVICE HISTORY, they must also have the bodywork warranty section stamped each year by a Ford Main Dealer and then if they have all this the repairs are limited, so please folks lets not think it is just Mercedes-Benz that rust

MB sent it to me last year.

Just got mine back from the menders and I have to say the've made a superb job of it - looks as good as new (well, those parts that have been repaired do, anyway). So full marks to MB for finally coming good, and I have to say I have been very impressed by the quality of work and standard of service shown by Barnes Coachwork in Frome.

The paintwork seems considerably better than Mr Mercedes managed at the factory, and the colour match is perfect. You may take it that I'm rather pleased!

There seems to be some extroadinary definitions of the mobilo-life, I have had the benefit of Counsels opinion, and it was clear for my case (and yes there are differences in Mobilo over the years) that it had cover for rust for 30 years as long as I behaved reasonably, in the event my 9 year old with FMBSH has had it's share of rust repairs without recourse to the courts but I will if I have to.
The treatment of some customers is appalling for what is a manufacturing defect entirely of MB's making but I have no sympathy with people who expect MB to look after them when they have their car maintained elswhere for years, although there does seem to be no bodywork inspection as part of the service which does undermine somewhat the Mercedes History requirement.

Epsom

Are you able to e-mail me privately?

I have had dealings with the General Manager there which may well be of interest.

Robertjrt

Are you able to e-mail me privately?

I have had dealings with the General Manager there which may well be of interest.

Robertjrt

Unfortunately until you have 30 posts sending and receiving PM's are not possible:(

Last edited:
Something I forgot to mention "inside out" concerns the panel itself ie from under the paint not from one side to the other or complete perforation there seems to be some confusion over this, the panel is as an entity composed of a number of layers including the steel.

Mondeos dont cost £40k !!
There is no logic to that post and I am sure we all live within our means and the owner of a Mondeo will no doubt have had to make sacrifices to buy their car in fact.

I am guessing that money will never gaurantee a rust free car :)

If money meant we can buy helath then show me where the queue is :)

We are fortunate with Mobilio as I am sure Rolls Royce or any other expensive car does not have a Mobilio type agreement.

There is no logic to that post and I am sure we all live within our means and the owner of a Mondeo will no doubt have had to make sacrifices to buy their car in fact.

I am guessing that money will never gaurantee a rust free car :)

If money meant we can buy helath then show me where the queue is :)

We are fortunate with Mobilio as I am sure Rolls Royce or any other expensive car does not have a Mobilio type agreement.

The logic is expectations , Mercedes are sold as quality cars and you pay a premium for them , Fords for the most part are not there is always the old "You get what you pay for"

I have to say i havent noticed many Mondeos with rusty doors as opposed to rusty W210's but when a £40k car is rusty within 5 years of ownership in many cases less thats just not good enough.

Roll Royce or other high end manufacturers dont need mobilio life thats been brought in to allay peoples fears that the products were of poor quality and they were , decent manufacturers stand by their products and dont need to do that

PLUS

Mobilio life often doesnt come into the rust repairs as they are done under goodwill in the most part

No rust at all on my '54 Mondeo (that I'm aware of); however, my '02 W203 prior to this - yep, rust in a fair few places (and probably some I didn't know about!)

No rust at all on my '54 Mondeo (that I'm aware of); however, my '02 W203 prior to this - yep, rust in a fair few places (and probably some I didn't know about!)
Whatever you do.... do not go looking :(

I believe if you open the doors and look around the drains and the rubber seals then you might be in for a scare :(

I hope you do NOT find anything, but if you are curious then type

'mondeo rust door'

Into your search engine :(

This will be typical of the result

I am only posting this information to highlight that sometimes that fields might not be greener when we go for a walk

The logic is expectations , Mercedes are sold as quality cars and you pay a premium for them , Fords for the most part are not there is always the old "You get what you pay for"

I have to say i havent noticed many Mondeos with rusty doors as opposed to rusty W210's but when a £40k car is rusty within 5 years of ownership in many cases less thats just not good enough.

Roll Royce or other high end manufacturers dont need mobilio life thats been brought in to allay peoples fears that the products were of poor quality and they were , decent manufacturers stand by their products and dont need to do that

PLUS

Mobilio life often doesnt come into the rust repairs as they are done under goodwill in the most part
I have absolutely no idea what your points are. The price of a new Mondeo can actually exceed that of some C-class.

Is your other point suggesting that we should be treated differently because we own a Mercedes-Benz?

As I said before, I have known owners of 4 year old Bentley's to complain of corroded floor pans and the dealership simply says tough, pay up. I would guess that £40k might be enough for the deposit of one of these cars.

If you had read my link that you highlighted, it refered to over 30,000 newish Bentleys that had been recalled because of rust issues.

I am NOT defending Mercedes-Benz but show me one manufacturer that offers a free 30 yr warranty

I have the Mercedes Warranty hand book, which I can forward to your email address. Get it in before the 8 years are up. Make sure the dealer gets the paper work right. Good luck.

Thanks for the offer been to see Dentec (they do Mercedes repairs here in Central Scotland) they checked my car - only the bonnets been resprayed before so they are going to submit a warranty claim for all four wheelarches as they are all corroding - cars booked in for 9th july so will find out about warranty 1/52 beforehand! Will update when I hear how it goes! :thumb:

Quick update, after much patience, politeness and perseverance.

My car will be go in in 2 weeks time to be sorted out free of charge.

Will update you on the results. So although it has taken time to be resolved, I cannot fault the MB dealership.

An update - Mercedes are paying for 50% of the following repairs under their goodwill agreement :)
Removal of all 4 Wings - shot blasting them - then any repairs - then coating them in an anti corrosion covering - undersealing them inside - putting them back on the car - finally re-spraying the 2 full sides of the car including doors - furthermore Dentec are shot blasting and painting the A Pillar covers and my bumpers at a very reduced rate :rock:
Will update when get car back - been missing it for the past week :eek:

long wait

well guys a new member to the site and shocked at the rust problems on mercs :mad: as i have had many old timers over the years and none have rusted until now my w208 52 plate rear wheel arches are rusting this appearing within the last 5 months with a full merc history and only 60k on the clock i proceeded to my local merc dealer who did the norm take pics etc etc.but 5 weeks and still no reply??? strange i will give it another week:dk:.shame really as i sold my audi a4 to buy this motor

well guys a new member to the site and shocked at the rust problems on mercs :mad: as i have had many old timers over the years and none have rusted until now my w208 52 plate rear wheel arches are rusting this appearing within the last 5 months with a full merc history and only 60k on the clock i proceeded to my local merc dealer who did the norm take pics etc etc.but 5 weeks and still no reply??? strange i will give it another week:dk:.shame really as i sold my audi a4 to buy this motor
If my car had a full, complete and uninterupted main dealer service history, with all bodywork repairs carried out in accordance with the warranty; I would not have your patience :devil:;) Good luck

5 weeks and no response? Sounds like someone has dropped a ball somewhere and it is probably worth chasing this matter up.

Which reminds me. I was supposed to get some Tesco vouchers after joining Sky TV 3 months ago!

I appealed direct to MB customer service for a goodwill repair and they replied in 5 days, alas the answer was no as my car was imported so had a much shorter warrantee :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom