Goodwood Festival of Speed 2007

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wallingd

MB Enthusiast
Admission to this is selling fast so thought I'd better book mine. Who else has been? What advantages/disadvantages are there to just paying for admission, no grandstand seating?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds eraly for sales to hve even started. I'm sure it's normally much later in the year?

I agree Graham - but they did send out a brochure which arrived in the post yesterday, perhaps Wallingd got one as well?!?

I'm sure going on previous years that admission tickets rarely sell out for months, if at all - it's not until June or something :)

Will

I missed last year so haven't had anything in the post, probably given up on me.

So what are the dates?

Festival of Speed is 22-24th June (Fri/Sat/Sun)
Goodwood Revival is 31st August-2nd September - again, Fri/Sat/Sun

HTH,

Will

4Car report states they are selling quicker than ever this year, so one better get one's oar in so-to-speak. Those of you who have been: is the basic £43 admission worthit or is it best to spend £74 and get a grandstand seat?...

wallingd said:
Admission to this is seeling fast so thought I'd better book mine. Who else has been? What advantages/disadvantages are there to just paying for admission, no grandstand seating?
I can't believe it took me until last year to go, but we had a whale of a time. Got free Friday tickets through Telegraph. Worked out well - it was busy, but you could get close to the action.

We're going Saturday this year - but won't be getting grandstand tickets. For me the attraction is the richness of the atmosphere - the drive itself is only part of it.

Be prepared to queue going in, and coming out again - even to get out of your parking space.

Top tip: Book accomodation ASAP - as you can't get a room anywhere remotely close by unless you book well in advance.

You'll have a great time ;)

Ty Bobby. My prices are for Saturday as I was planning to go Saturday as a good half-way-house in terms of action. But do you think Friday will be as good? I'm guessing the atmosphere will be amazing ;).

Last edited:
Definitely recommend the Festival of Speed as a day out. Sure some queuing before you get there, but once in its fine. Its well catered for food, drink, things to see, things to do, plus the atmosphere is like no other.

I'll probably go on the Sunday this year, and would be honoured to share a cup of something with any MB Club homies in attendance.

I've only been once and so don't have other experience to compare it to, but it certainly wasn't lacking in atmosphere - even Mrs & Jnr D enjoyed it big style. Friday is the quietest day building to the crescendo on Saturday.

All the attractions are still there, but the runs up the drive are just practice rather than competition, but to be honest that doesn't matter to me. Sunday tends to get the star drivers too, but again, I'm there for the cars rather than the drivers. Being a touch less busy is a bonus though. ;)

Unless you're a spotter paying for a grandstand seat might be a little prohibitive as there's so much other stuff to see. If you've paid a premium you may be reluctant to wander around, and you'd miss so much.

I'd go Friday again this year but Saturday is ideal as I don't need to take time of work - just finish a touch early on Friday. Sunday's not an option for us as we'll be staying in our touring caravan, and parking the ML with 'van in tow is asking for trouble given how chaotic the dash for the exit was last year!!

I've only been twice, and both times on a Friday.

I've always arrived early (nice early summer morning drive down there) and avoided much of the queueing problems.

If I go this year (95% certain) I'll probably go on the Friday again. Quieter from what I gather, and probably more likely that I'll make it (always something else going on at the w/ends..)

Bonus also being that you can get complimentary tickets on occasion, or failing that, they're less anyway (not that I'm a cheapskate :eek: )

wallingd - Rob's top tip is a very top one! Tickets selling out are very rare but the accomodation is another story - so I'd book that regardless.

I'll keep an eye on this thread closer to the time :)

Will

I was inspired by this thread to take action. We've spoken about it a few times but not booked anything. What the heck!? Just booked our Saturday tickets!! :bannana:

If you leave the accomodation too late then you can cuddle up in the awning next to Lizzie ...our greyhound!! ;)

Another top tip coming up...

If you're taking the better half or family, Portsmouth is just up the road, and is a great place to visit. Several tourist attractions, lots of nice restaurants overlooking the water, and some great shopping. That's what we did last year and we liked it so much we went back a few weeks ago.

PS Whilst it's unlikely admission-only tickets will sell out, it's worth bearing in mind that the GFOS is growing exponentially (almost before someone begs to differ), and is very much a mainstream event now, so maybe it will reach capacity over the next few years.

Going on Friday again - fortunately I manage to sort out enough petrol head clients to be able to call it marketing, we have a space in a large grandstand/marquee for lunch then watch the runs.

And I get to call it working! :D

If your paying the Grandstands seem expensive to me - think you can get to see the cars going up from some of the general areas anyway - most of the interesting stuff is around the grounds anyway.

wallingd said:
4Car report states they are selling quicker than ever this year, so one better get one's oar in so-to-speak. Those of you who have been: is the basic £43 admission worthit or is it best to spend £74 and get a grandstand seat?...

£43??!!

Last timre I paid to enter it was about £15pp.

The prices are (excluding/including grandstand)

Fri 25/45
Sat 43/74
Sun 47/82
Weekend 90/176 (3 days)
Inc Revival 160/296-304 (6 days)

So the cost does vary a lot on the day chosen.

Prices are very much increased this year. Good luck tot he event, but I doubt I'll be going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom