Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marku

Car
Viano Ambiente 2.2CDI W639, S-Class 450SE W116
The ones made for Jaguar. Put two on the front in an emergency after one tyre was destroyed. They don't handle very well in low speed cornering tending to "crab" quite alarmingly. Now one of the front springs has broken. It has only done 60K any connection between the two?

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 fitted to my MX-5 and they are fine. Can't imagine 'Jaguar' versions are substantially different from those I have or even the MO version.

I'd be very surprised if there was any connection between the two.

I've been using GEFA tyres for years and never had that.

My suspicions would point to the underlying geometry of the car and the condition of the springs. 60k is young for a spring to die but not unheard of.

How did said previous tyre get destroyed?

It got a piece metal through the tread above the sidewall.

It got a piece metal through the tread above the sidewall.

Ah so no uncomfortable meetings with potholes then...

I thought this may account for some of your issues.

Would still consider a geometry check though.

Hmm! Are you sure the first puncture wasn’t caused by the spring? My wife got a puncture on her Evoque, thought nothing of it other than replacing the tyre, 3 days later she phoned me up, she’s had a blow out on brand new tyre, luckily driving in the town. Swapped over to the space saver spare and took back to the tyre shop. Tyre was cut open around the circumference for about 10 inch length, so good luck fixing that with a gunge repair kit. Also noticed tyre was heavily scored around the edge all the way round

up on the jack and it all became obvious, broken spring had sliced open the new tyre. Most likely that’s what happened to the previous one, but spring was in a different position/less broken so hadn’t caused same level of damage

and of course, if your spring is broken in any way, your geometry is going to be way out

Hmm! Are you sure the first puncture wasn’t caused by the spring? My wife got a puncture on her Evoque, thought nothing of it other than replacing the tyre, 3 days later she phoned me up, she’s had a blow out on brand new tyre, luckily driving in the town. Swapped over to the space saver spare and took back to the tyre shop. Tyre was cut open around the circumference for about 10 inch length, so good luck fixing that with a gunge repair kit. Also noticed tyre was heavily scored around the edge all the way round

up on the jack and it all became obvious, broken spring had sliced open the new tyre. Most likely that’s what happened to the previous one, but spring was in a different position/less broken so hadn’t caused same level of damage

and of course, if your spring is broken in any way, your geometry is going to be way out
That’s the reason I asked whether it was inside or outside

The tyre going was some time ago and on the outside edge penetrating the tread and down the inside edge of the sidewall. The cause I would think was as I have posted about the suspension in that on the narrow country roads around us you are often forced off to allow vehicles to pass. Sore point by the way is that the big 4x4s are very reluctant to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom