Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Cannot drive!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxima

Car
W211
Bought new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3.
Were installed at work place by eventmobiletyres.com

I started to drive a lot (120 miles a day) recently. My left front tyre was loosing around 4 psi a week. Get worn uneven to right one. If forgotten to be inflated gave me a real headache especially on a wet road.

So. I bought the best in affordable price range reading internet forums and american Tyre Rack.

2 guys came today and fiited new ones.

I prepared to enjoy ride of my dream.

Instead ...

I almost pissed in my pants when my car started to wombling and floating at 70 mph (!) as a pregnant cow on ice!!

I was shocked. Drove to nearest petrol station and put 34psi (dunno how much was in real as I dont trust any of them and also tyres were warm of course).

It improved but still driving was worse than I had with my Continental PremiumContact even with underinflated one tryre.

Is it something wrong with me ? Eagle F1 must be better than Continental in tracking on dry and wet and more comfortable at noise.
May be the fitting guys did something wrong to it?
May be the tyres are with defects?

What the hell is that ?

I thrown 500 quid and am having huge headache instead of fun.

What is proper pressure for these tyres? I have on my petrol lead 29 / 30 psi. But I think it was inflated like that in very beginning - when I couldnt drive more than 50 with no wetting my leather seats!!

I believe that my shock-absorbers and wheel aligniment are fine. At least I had good driving whilst my left tyre was inflated properly and the car was holding road tightly up to 100 on dry.

today evening was dry and I was not able to do over 70-75 as it was feeling as on old tyres at 120 with side wind.....

Quite long and emotional. But I embarassed of my expereince. Spent a waste of money and feel myself an old fool now.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Certain tyres can aggravate conditions like play in ball joints etc but the process of elimination needs to start somewhere.

Have the tyres been fitted correctly?
It might have been overlooked whether the tyres are directional or not and not fitted correctly.

Were the wheels properly balanced after fitting of the tyres?
I often supervise this as years ago one particular tyre operative felt he could ignore 5g weight requests from the machine.

Is there any play in your wheel bearings?
These are normally tightened at each service but may have been overlooked.

Is there any play in other suspension components e.g. balll joints, bushes etc?

I would still get the wheel alignment checked if it hasn't been done in the last 10k miles or so. Especially if you can recall a rough incident like striking a nasty pothole or hitting a kerb.

You haven't mentioned what wheel / tyre size you are using but tyre pressure is important and it is usual to increase by a few psi if low profile tyres are being used. On my 18 inch wheels I have 34psi in the front and 36psi in the rears. Once the tyres are warmed up front and rear stabilise to 38psi.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

I have 17s and have my front at 34 and rear at 42 and lose around 3-4 psi a month...

maxima said:
My left front tyre was loosing around 4 psi a week.
This could be caused by corrosion or other damage to the wheel rather than a faulty tyre!

New tyres

New tyres take 100-150 miles for the mould release agent to disappear and they're as slippery as hell up till that point. Let them bed in for a day or two and drive carefully

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

I have Eagle F1's they are very good.

Got Eagle F1 GSD-3 too, and they are superb in the wet and dry. Give them a few days to bed in and see what happens. They are directional - just check that they've been fitted with the correct direction of rotation!!

Thank you all for your care!

Size is 255/55/16 W. Car is E-class W211 1600 ish kg.

Alloys look OK. suspension should be fine - I bought this car from MB with warranty 6 week ago and didnt hit any hole or kerb since that.

Directions are fine - it was only thing I could check.

Alignment I will test on Satruday (I cant miss my job in weekdays).

Balance is fine for at least front wheels (no steering wheel jittering on speed)

A garage overinflated my F1's once and it felt very unstable.

Adjusted pressure on cold tyres to 29 / 30. Driving today was good. Much better than on Continentals.

I never had new tyres before. Didnt know I just need to wait 100 miles :) to let them settle down.

But now I have 26.6 mpg on my dashboard although the normal reading is 30.1-30.5 (I watch this figure always as petrol at 120 miles a day - quite a parameter)

And it is certainly after new tyres were fitted. As yesterday morning it was as usual.

Means roughly 56 pound a month extra !

Last edited:
Hi Maxima - you mention car was wombling and floating, as the guys said you need them to blend in, also bear in mind, it was suprisingly windy yesterday,maybe causing the floating., I was preety surprised when on several occassions when waiting at a traffic light the car had a slight shake, due to the wind (at first i thought the guy behind me must have touched my car, but realised it was due to the wind)- lots of junk was flying in the air.Well lets hope all is well now.

thanx :) I think you are right as well.

I was suspecting that wind is unusual but was too busy to watch the tracking..

Yeah today is much better. But petrol is being drinking by my car :(

mobeyone said:
I have 17s and have my front at 34 and rear at 42 and lose around 3-4 psi a month...
42 seems very high?? Are the tyres wearing a lot in the centre's? If I put 35 in mine (16", 50 profile) the ride goes to hell.

Perhaps a nitrogen fill would stop the slow leakage.

I run 32 psi all round ( 17 inch with 225/45 tyres )

42 does seem a little high

When filling up a tyre a while ago I used a different petrol station and it filled the tyre up faster than I was used to, I checked the pressure and it buried the needle! At least 65psi :eek: (oops!) took about 5 minutes to let enough air out for the pressure to be correct :eek: , no idea what the actual pressure was.

Don't try to repeat this stunt folks, the persons involved were trained professionals etc.

Rory said:
42 seems very high?? Are the tyres wearing a lot in the centre's? If I put 35 in mine (16", 50 profile) the ride goes to hell.

Perhaps a nitrogen fill would stop the slow leakage.

Thats what I thought...

But I was getting some petrol at morrisons some time ago and remember seeing the table (psi) and it recomended the amg with the same wheel size as mine to be 42....

Am i wrong?

Tyres have a maximim inflation pressure impressed somewhere on the sidewall.

Mine are 44, so 42psi is really pushing it! I would only ever put that in the rears of my estate if it were fully loaded.

the best place for recommended tyre pressure is your fuel flap

mobeyone said:
Thats what I thought...

But I was getting some petrol at morrisons some time ago and remember seeing the table (psi) and it recomended the amg with the same wheel size as mine to be 42....

Am i wrong?

nothing there and guess what... my tyres are a little thin in the middle....

DAMN!

*edit*

Just popped out to change the pressure and am now riding on front 32 and rear 36 - is this ok?

Scratched my alloy in the process when the airline would not come off :mad:

Last edited:
call MB and ask them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom