Goodyear Eagle F1's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
So, 1 year and 5 months on, 15800 miles, and in the MOT yesterday my car passed with flying colours... except i got an Advisory on both my rear tyres :eek:

Considering the way i drive, i'm actually very impressed. They still have a good 3-4k miles on them i think, they have about 5mm tread depth left.

All-in-all great tyres and very good value, the Falkens i had on before it didnt last this long, but then again these were more expensive but it probably evens out!

Why would you get an advisory on 5mm of tread ?

Mmm........

If a new tyre has 8mm tread it's interesting to read they gave it an advisory after 5mm as it's still only 50% through its life.

I have them on mine, very impressive this morning in torrential rain & standing water. Passed a couple of cars that had went through the hedges and into the fields, wonder what tyres they use?

Russ

Mmm........

Because if i happened to shred off another 2mm of tread a few months down the line and i get stopped by police the garage will not look as bad .... if they didnt give me an advisory they could face disciplinary if i ever got stopped with illegal rears, so they're covering themselves which is normal.

Are they F1 assymetrics or the ones with the V style tread pattern?

Are you sure you have about 5mm left? If so then they have worn amazingly well. That will give you almost 25-30k before illegal.

Last edited:
The V style tread pattern. Anyone tried assymetrics?

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD View Post

Mmm........

Because if i happened to shred off another 2mm of tread a few months down the line and i get stopped by police the garage will not look as bad .... if they didnt give me an advisory they could face disciplinary if i ever got stopped with illegal rears, so they're covering themselves which is normal.

I thought that an MOT was a certificate to say all was safe on the day of the test.
2 months later and baldy tyres would be nothing to do with the test centre.

Last edited:
The V style tread pattern. Anyone tried assymetrics?

I had them on the rears of mine - got worse wear of all tyres tried 13,000. Still have them on fronts..but wont go for them again. Have Michelins now -- been through Contis too -- usually get 15K on rears - Michelins looking very good wear wise - but then they cost more.. suppose at the end of the day its not how quickly they wear - but wear v cost.

Whilst it is not the most sensible thing to do, a tyre with 2mm tread is perfectly legal unless it has defects - a new tyre could have that in a few weeks if the tracking is off or poorly inflated or kerbed.

The test is merely an indication of roadworthiness on the day the test was taken.

I'd be asking a few serious questions to the testing centre and possibly a VOSA clarification if I got an advisory at 5mm.

Not to happy with the GSD3 on my w203. Have been very very noisy from about 5mm on. Went through 2 compete set on my other car no issues. Other 2 sets made in Germany the set on the w203 made in china..:eek:
Guessing a slight change of compound ..:dk:

Anyway these are going on 42000km and still legal (around 1.8mm ATM).

Think I'm going back to conti SC3 which where quite, more comfy and almost as good in the rain.

Guys at the place i normally buy from are telling me to try yokohama advan sport or s-drive but haven't seen to many reviews on them.

Whilst it is not the most sensible thing to do, a tyre with 2mm tread is perfectly legal unless it has defects - a new tyre could have that in a few weeks if the tracking is off or poorly inflated or kerbed.

It can have that within yards of the fitter if it's got my right foot on the gas...

I had them on the rears of mine - got worse wear of all tyres tried 13,000. Still have them on fronts..but wont go for them again. Have Michelins now -- been through Contis too -- usually get 15K on rears - Michelins looking very good wear wise - but then they cost more.. suppose at the end of the day its not how quickly they wear - but wear v cost.

I'm thinking of changing to michelins too after hearing what you and Will have told me. My chassis doesn't like the V-tread pattern on the front 2 wheels! Is it sport contact 2?

EDIT: After reading comments i went out and measured my tyres and it has just between 4-5mm tread on both rears... and yes i got an advisory... but around the edges they are less than 5, more like 2-3mm.

Last edited:
If a new tyre has 8mm tread it's interesting to read they gave it an advisory after 5mm as it's still only 50% through its life.

Whilst I agree the advisory is a little bit ridiculous, the fact is the tyre tread wears quicker from 5mm onward than the first 3mm's....hope that makes sense ?

as long as you have legal tread over a certain area (not sure what this is ) in the middle of the tyre, its ok. i have 3 mm a few years back in the middle and 1.5 around the edges , but when the tester got hs guide thing out and checked, it was all above board, and put it down as an advisory because it was so close to legal. 5mm, he shouldnt have even mentioned it.... btw, agree with the rest, michelins i have found good on wear, also dunlops i have on the rear at the mo are pretty good too.

Try increasing the pressure to maximum load setting +10%.

I find that my W220 LWB wears evenly even having done 3 track days a year. I run 39psi at the front and 43 psi at the rear for fast-road use. For the track I run 55 psi at the front and 50psi at the rear.

With rotation, my set of4 Michelin pilots last about 13k.

TI find that my W220 LWB wears evenly even having done 3 track days a year. I run 39psi at the front and 43 psi at the rear for fast-road use. For the track I run 55 psi at the front and 50psi at the rear.

I'm running 32psi all round on my S500LWB W220

Try increasing the pressure to maximum load setting +10%.

I find that my W220 LWB wears evenly even having done 3 track days a year. I run 39psi at the front and 43 psi at the rear for fast-road use. For the track I run 55 psi at the front and 50psi at the rear.

With rotation, my set of4 Michelin pilots last about 13k.

Thats almost in van territory the pressures i mean:D

Whats the max pressure printed on your tyre sidewall?

Lynall

Tyre pressures... i've got 30psi in all... i dont know why i think the manufacturer suggested 36psi front and 41 rear is a bit too extreme... not sure if i'm right though

Hi Adam,

30psi all round is too low for your car. Won't be helping your tramlining issue and perhaps might explain why you rears have worn out on the shoulders (rears normally wear the centres first!)

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom