Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance or Michelin Primacy 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MLAM

Car
2013 W212 CDI SE
Hi all,

All 4 tyres need doing on my dads E220, it's an Avantgarde with 225/55/R16 size tyres.

Currently narrowed it down to the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance or Michelin Primacy 3.

The Goodyear is very new so there isn't many reviews about at the moment.

Does anyone have any feedback on either?

Thanks

I have Primacy 3 and rate them highly.
The previous Primacy HP had done 40k miles and were still OK but the fronts were down to 2mm and the rears 3mm (I had rotated them).
When the snow came I put new tyres on and had no issues.

I have Primacy 3 and rate them highly.
The previous Primacy HP had done 40k miles and were still OK but the fronts were down to 2mm and the rears 3mm (I had rotated them).
When the snow came I put new tyres on and had no issues.
Good to hear that.

How do you find grip and quietness?

I've read some feedback that the tyre is quite firm aswell.

I find grip very good and they are quiet, but can hear a feint high pitched noise on some surfaces, though this is better than the Pirelli's that the car was originally shod with.

I find grip very good and they are quiet, but can hear a feint high pitched noise on some surfaces, though this is better than the Pirelli's that the car was originally shod with.
Glad to hear also :)

Hopefully I won't find the high pitch noise jarring.

Michelin do boast about improved fuel economy, did you notice any difference to the old Pirelli's?

What MB do you have BTW?

The Pirellis were a long time ago, this is the third set of Michelin's since then. The Michelin's are streets ahead of the Pirelli's in every way.

We recently put EfficientGrips on the front of our R-class and they are certainly a very quiet / comfortable tyre. I can't claim 40,000 miles on them, but they have a treadwear rating of 480 so I'm hoping for good things beyond their quietness.

We recently put EfficientGrips on the front of our R-class and they are certainly a very quiet / comfortable tyre. I can't claim 40,000 miles on them, but they have a treadwear rating of 480 so I'm hoping for good things beyond their quietness.
Hi Ian, thanks for the reply.

That is good to hear as the "Performance" version is supposed to build on what the original EfficientGrip was good at.

I am confident which ever tyre my dad goes for he will be happy as at the moment it is on Continental PremiumContact so they are a few years old with low tread, not to mention the mismatched Michelin Primacy HP on the rear axel from the previous owner....

What did you have on the car before?

The fronts were Bridgestone Turanza ER30's (or such like) - they had good tread when we bought the car but were down to the minimum in no time at all (yet the wheel alignment is all good). The rears are still some Pirelli winter tyres that I want to get closer to fully worn before changing.

I'll certainly be putting another pair of the EfficientGrips on - I do like them.

Ive recently fitted Goodyear Duragrip (i believe they are similar to efficiency grip )to my 190E
i did this because the noise rating was very good - i only do limited mileage so im not too bothered about grip and wear (relatively) also they were quite cheap in comparison to michelins and continentals
that said i doubt you can go wrong with michelins
good luck

The Michelin's are streets ahead of the Pirelli's in every way.

Except when on there limits, the Mich will just let go without warning due to its weaker sidewall's.

that said i doubt you can go wrong with michelins

Michelin are laying staff off at present because of there poor sales and even considering closing down some of its plants, not much point in paying extra for a Mich. when Goodyear Dunlop are ahead at the moment...

Except when on there limits, the Mich will just let go without warning due to its weaker sidewall's.

That's not my experience. The Pirelli's tended to slip in the wet, but the Michelin's grip for much longer and regain grip more quickly.

That's not my experience. The Pirelli's tended to slip in the wet, but the Michelin's grip for much longer and regain grip more quickly.

DM old lad we may disagree from time to time on some things
but Michelins i doubt we ever will haha!

Michelin are laying staff off at present because of there poor sales and even considering closing down some of its plants, not much point in paying extra for a Mich. when Goodyear Dunlop are ahead at the moment...
It has been noted that Michelin have reduced their pricing on their tyres of late, still most expensive but the gap between them and Goodyear, Dunlop etc is reduced.

The Goodyear is a couple of pounds cheaper than the Michelin but as its such a new tyre it seems to be a bit unknown at the moment.

What bases do you know that Goodyear and Dunlop are better at the moment G.P?

What bases do you know that Goodyear and Dunlop are better at the moment G.P?

Its common knowledge within the tyre industry, its no secret that the Goodyear Dunlop Group have stuggled over the last few years but their R & D Dept. have been busy with some very respected results, I saw some Dunlop's fitted a couple of weeks back which were perfectly in balance they required no weights to be applied, only other tyre I know of produced that in balance and round is Yoko...

Dieselman,

Don't suppose you can have a look on the sidewall of your Primacy 3's to see what the Treadwear rating is for me can you please?

I am having trouble finding this data anywhere.

I have efficient grips on Gina's Passat and also my Bora daily and they are brilliant tyres. Incredibly quiet which is what I wanted as I do a fair few motorway miles. The passat has done well over 21,000 miles on them and even on the front they are only just over half worn and the Passat has been remapped so has 280LBFT through the front wheels.

Dieselman,

Don't suppose you can have a look on the sidewall of your Primacy 3's to see what the Treadwear rating is for me can you please?

I am having trouble finding this data anywhere.

So am I for two reasons.
1. It's dark, 2. I'm half p!ssed...

I'll try again tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom