Google Earth : Nurburgring now in higher resolution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Hi All,

Fire up Google Earth and check out "Nurburg, Germany". Amazing detail level of the ring now available!!!!

Scott

So was Brands Hatch in Kent last time I looked.
Google earth is definitely getting better:rock: :bannana: :rock:

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would use this one to mention how Google Earth is continually updating its database.

I am really impressed because six months ago Torquay was a green blob, then it had detail that was a few years old and now we are talking a few months. Who remembers my thread about how the paintwork of our Sprinter was terribly bleached?

house.jpg

In the bottom right corner of this picture you will see a 'pink' Sprinter stretched limo. Not bad when you consider it should be dark red:mad:

Not so good for multi-storey car parks I guess ...

Bleached? yeah right :D
When did you take that picture of our stretched limo?:D

Does anyone know how Google Earth manages to get pictures with a cloudless sky?

Regards
John

They don't always John ....

You can see clouds in some shots ....

Regards
John

They only do it in the Summertime (remember them? we used to get them once a year a long time ago) when your not likely to get many clouds...

My folks house is covered by cloud at the mo :(

Yes, the camera that takes the shot is between the clouds and the ground. I'll explain...

The high-altitude shots are taken from satellite images. Satellites overfly the target areas pretty regularly, so it's not that difficult for them to get a shot they want without cloud. Now the clever bit that most people don't realise: as you zoom in for more detail the image switches to one taken from an aircraft which is flying below the cloudbase, hence no clouds in the shot.

Yeah ive noticed that, it tells you who owns the copyright at the bottom of the screen and it changed oftern depending on the height.

Yes, the camera that takes the shot is between the clouds and the ground. I'll explain...

The high-altitude shots are taken from satellite images. Satellites overfly the target areas pretty regularly, so it's not that difficult for them to get a shot they want without cloud. Now the clever bit that most people don't realise: as you zoom in for more detail the image switches to one taken from an aircraft which is flying below the cloudbase, hence no clouds in the shot.
Thanks very much for the excellent and informative answer. The angles of some of the pictures have been bugging me and I have always suspected they might have been aerial pictures rather than taken from space.

Regards
John

No worries. I'm a mine of useless information. Or so my friends tell me :D

This is not entirely correct. The only time an ariel photograph shot is displayed on Google Earth is when the latest version of satellite photo has not been made available, so their server shows the best available image. Aircraft do not, and could not cover the globe, beneath the cloudbase taking pictures.

All Satelitte imagery is supplied to Google Earth from Digital Globe, who operate the Worldview 1 and Quickbird satellites. The views are also taken from several angles from the satellite, hence the 3d digital effect.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would use this one to mention how Google Earth is continually updating its database.

I am really impressed because six months ago Torquay was a green blob, then it had detail that was a few years old and now we are talking a few months.

Thanks John, I've just checked out my house and I can see it at last!! :bannana:

The views are also taken from several angles from the satellite, hence the 3d digital effect.
That would also explain some of the angles, but some of the locations are definitely not satellite footage unless James Bond films are based on fact:devil: :)

Regards
John

I'll re-spray the top of your van for you John...for a fiver...

**Goes to B&Q for spray cans and laquer**:devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom