Google Earth Offline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
It's that time of the year again...

Any recomendations on a program that cache's google earth?

Ideally on an android or iphone (not jailbroken/rooted) - but given space limitations... and the massive area I need covered... maybe something that will run on an old windows XP box may be better...

That said, if it is for Windows XP - I would need to "tell it" where I am based on a set of co-ordinated from my GPS...

Any ideas? (GMDL seems to be down)

M.

My android device already has an offline copy built in. (works fine with data disabled)

I have a desire HD running 2.2.

huh... any idea is that's enabled by default? And how would I cache western africa? I guess I would need to look at al the area at maximum resolution...

Surely the amount of data in the area you require is far to much to cache in high res?

Surely the amount of data in the area you require is far to much to cache in high res?

Not really, judging by the cache on my computer, it would appear that 3gb is sufficient to map Morocco...

I just need to figure out how to export/import the cache and verify it...

M.

I'm not sure how it is on there, just know that that Google maps works on the desire HD even without a data connection. If you want voice navigation you do require an initial data connection (just to compute your route) but after that you are OK.

I find Nokia maps to be great - about the only redeeming feature of the current Nokia range ;)

Offline maps for pretty much any country you can think of - UK is about 600MB, Italy about 200MB. Free download of any country - only limitation is size of memory stick in your phone.

I'm afraid Nokia doesn't do the Sahara desert :p

There are only a handful of sources:
- Google
- Russian 1:200,000 topo (old military maps, all in cyrilliac... no real digital version other than scans)
- OpenStreet Maps (got these... nothing special)
- US military topo maps... wikileaks don't seem to have these yet :p
M.

you shouldnt ned maps, you just need waypoints and a handheld GPS device.

Plenty of sources for navigating the Sahara using waypoints online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom