Google maps is now crap, what other site?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
WTF have they done to Google maps? The page is covered with boxes & it is unusable now. Until recently you had the option of going back to "classic" gmaps, but that seems to be gone.

What sites do other people find easy & clear to use now that this one is useless?

I know it's annoying, but those huge white boxes do shrink down when you start interacting with the map. Click and drag the map and it'll shrink.

It chokes me to say it, but Bing Maps is certainly less intrusive...

what about a screen dump of what you can see? for me it looks the same as it always does

EDIT
Oh yes, the search box doesnt seem to want to stay collapsed or go away
/EDIT

Last edited:
It’s a new way to search, to search by map you type into the search box, for example … Mercedes car parts … this shows the location on the map of what you are looking for when you point to the list on the dropdown menu.

To use it, you have to be able to use your eyes and your mouse at the same time.

Dec

To use it, you have to be able to use your eyes and your mouse at the same time.

So, the same as the rest of the internet then?

Yes, except your original post indicates that you don’t understand how the maps work, you need to look at the map while you point at the various items on the dropdown menu.

If you are looking for a business like an Italian restaurant , then type in… Italian Restaurant.
If you are looking for directions then type in, for example... London to Brighton.

Dec

Agree with Neill. The 'new' format is the same as that on iPad app. Crap for a PC and for pre-planning a journey from home. The Streetview is particularly obstructive compared to how it was. And I can't get the 'Classic' site back either. Boo-hoo. :(

When it opens, it opens on my home addy when I used to have a map of the UK. I know where I live for christsakes!!! I want to find Uppingham-on-Sea so now have to scroll out. Bah!!

Last edited:
Absolutely hate it. To many boxes and obscure icons, difficult to navigate, much slower than the old version.

All part of dumbing down user interfaces across the board, I fear.

To people saying it works or is the same, as before: yes, it works, but many of us used to use so called light version, because it didn't look like it was designed by spotty teens for even spottier teens.

And this is nothing to do with processing capability of one's computer either.

I used to be able to do a quick journey lookup, with streetview easily accessible from each stage of the journey (by clicking on little dude icon next to "turn right at such-and-such" in the left section), and with map view still visible in lower part of the screen. Now I am presented with dozens of irrelevant images by some morons, and no single click access to streetview at a particular point, with map still displayed. The simple, albeit very approximate, fuel cost estimator is also gone - again, a useful feature, but certainly beyond the pigeon brain of target demographics ...

The maps were the last, and only, Google thing I was still using ... I suppose "good riddance!" is an appropriate response here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom