Google Street View

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mactech

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Porsche Macan S, BMW i3
If I am going somewhere new, I find Google Street View is useful to pinpoint my exact destination prior to a journey. It saves people becoming inpatient in a queue behind a very slow moving car looking for door numbers or similar.
I'm sure we have all looked up our own address and found you can or can't see your own house.
I looked a year or so back and found a picture of a building site! Given that Google probably passes by the rural areas of Norfolk about once a decade, that wasn't a big surprise.
What was a surprise was when I looked this morning and embarrassingly found not only my house, but me cleaning an Audi! My ever helpful collie also features.
So should I ask Google for more privacy or just assume I may be banned from MB club forum for such a hideous crime?:dk::doh:

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 09.10.56.jpeg

Haha! :)

If privacy is your concern then move to Germany where Google is banned from collecting Streetview images ;)

If privacy is your concern then move to Germany where Google is banned from collecting Streetview images ;)
No, I've been there too many times already. I much prefer Norfolk. Although I do admit The Nurburgring is a bit of an attraction.:rolleyes:

There is a website somewhere full of 'odd' streetview images , anomalies from the camera and people actually placing themselves strategically as the car passes to make weird images.

This is also a bit creepy

Thankfully it was just you washing the car & not the man next door climbing out of the bedroom windowo_O
Posted by "The man next door's" friend:D

Don't think this is correct. I was just wandering around old Dusseldorf.

Don't think this is correct. I was just wandering around old Dusseldorf.
It appears that it may have changed. Even a couple of years ago it was impossible to get Streetview of anywhere I looked in Germany.

Edit to add: It's still very patchy - perhaps individual state regulations apply? Take a look at Garmisch-Partenkirchen for example. Absolutely nothing. And this is what happens if you zoom out and try to pull Google's "little man" onto the map:

yWdJUai.jpg

Note the paucity of info compared to adjacent countries.

Last edited:
If I am going somewhere new, I find Google Street View is useful to pinpoint my exact destination prior to a journey. It saves people becoming inpatient in a queue behind a very slow moving car looking for door numbers or similar.

It's not just me then!

As an aside, if you download the Google Earth Pro application (free) there's a 'time' button on the toolbar that allows you to scroll back through all the past aerial images they hold. For our current house these go back to 1985, although some older ones are quite low resolution. The previous owners added various extensions & outbuildings over the years (as well as demolishing others), and it's interesting to see how this progressed.

1641387196123.png

Just as Google to fuzz out your property.
I too use it when I went to a new place, helped a lot.
I also checked the turns just before the destination etc, all
very helpful.

One of the Swiss railway companies even built a "Street View" flatbed to take the Google camera around its network:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm sure we have all looked up our own address and found you can or can't see your own house.
I looked a year or so back and found a picture of a building site! Given that Google probably passes by the rural areas of Norfolk about once a decade, that wasn't a big surprise.
What was a surprise was when I looked this morning and embarrassingly found not only my house, but me cleaning an Audi! My ever helpful collie also features.
So should I ask Google for more privacy or just assume I may be banned from MB club forum for such a hideous crime?:dk::doh:

View attachment 122454
Surprisingly, it still does!

1641393460940.png

Some years ago, when I lived in Edinburgh, I was surprised to find a Google aerial view of me having my breakfast in the front garden one Sunday morning in June! (taken from around 600 feet)

Frightening...

Looks like a bottle of autoglym ready to be kicked over, which always looks nice on black tarmac.

Hmm... I don't see two buckets. This is a very serious matter.
I agree, just a damp patch beneath the car suggesting it has actually been washed. I guess the collie would have taken the empty buckets back in the garage by then:oops:
I'm on to the polishing stage by then, hence the Autogylm (with closed top) being on the drive as it's less likely to fall from there than being on the car....

Surprisingly, it still does!

View attachment 122459

Some years ago, when I lived in Edinburgh, I was surprised to find a Google aerial view of me having my breakfast in the front garden one Sunday morning in June! (taken from around 600 feet)

Frightening...
Yes, if you move over the road slightly into the drive opposite, then the 2009 view is shown. I must assume they only did a re-run of the 'main' road last year.

That is some widdle the dog has done, must have been bursting & your standing in the middle of it.o_O

Well I noticed the curvature of the drive,that drain is not going to catch much water if that photo is a true likeness,and yes I have heard that collies will take buckets back into garages :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom