Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5bn

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
This is interesting news:

BBC News - Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5bn

It’s potentially a strange move by Google though – perhaps they’re trying to imitate MS too much?

Who would have thought it, two of the largest Mobile handset manufacturers now owned by Software firms?

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
G55 AMG Kompressor
Nokia isnt owned by MS though are they?, only using the Win7 operating system.

Pappilo

Banned
Car
Legsus
In cash as well! Bit worried for the likes of HTC and Samsung who have Android as the mainstay of their mobile business.

Nokia is not owned by MS but signed and agreement to use Windowsphone 7 OS in their phones from now on. Symbian is dead

Last edited:

Nik_Endeavour

Car
Mercedes-less at the moment
More to it as Google has paid about $5 billion more than it was worth. Maybe Google is going to be the next Apple.

OP
OP
A

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2016 BMW F86 X6 M, 2016 BMW F30 320d, 2001 Mercedes C320 Elegance
Nokia isnt owned by MS though are they?, only using the Win7 operating system.

Yes, you're right Nokia are not owned by MS - but it's rumoured to be close to happening.

The Nokia / MS deal was far from straighforward...

Perhaps I should have said controlled instead of owned :)

Last edited:

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
G55 AMG Kompressor
If only Nokia had gone with Android. Nokia has always made by far the best build-quality phones, its just a shame they didnt move on with the OS

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
Support Nokia
43.gif

I do. But sadly I think it's too late...

Also, historically, PDAs and Phones with Ms-Win OS (starting with Win CE) were never as successful commercially as phones with propriety phone OS.

But on the other hand, Microsoft can insist and persist, something for years, with a product, improve and improve it until they get market share - see Internet Explorer version 1,2, and 3, or Win NT version 3.5, 3.51, and 4. So they may yet have a breakthrough against iPhone and BB.

Last edited:

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
I always had Nokia phones, but sadly they are mostly cumbersome to use and light-years behind the competition i.e. iPhone/BB/Andrioid.

Our business customers are probably 45% iPhone, 45% BB, and 10% misc including Samsung, HTC, and Nokia.

blondebier

I am a lifelong Nokia supporter too.

I like the idea of a "smart" phone, but just can't see the benefit of getting one. The battery life, or lack of it, really puts me off.

It's useful to be able to use a phone whilst I am out and about and have people contact me on the move if they need to. It is pretty useless though if the battery runs out.

My current Nokia 6700 lasts 6 days on a charge. Even that winds me up. (I had an older generation Nokia(6310) that lasted for 2 weeks on a single charge.) I use it all the time for calls and may use the browser to look up a telephone number or address once in a while.

I don't need a camera, compass, barcode scanner or the latest gizmatron someone thought would be a good idea... I just want a phone.

I might sound like an old fogey, but I'm 31. I have my desktop at the office and can access the internet and everything I need there or at home.

Do I really need it all stuffed into a cumbersome thing in my pocket?

What the hell happened? :dk:

Red C220

MB Enthusiast
Car
2021 Mazda MX-30 EV, 2014 FF
Nokia are in a whole heap of trouble as a business as they didn't evolve with the rest.

I've always liked Nokia's, I'm using one now (Nokia X3) but it's shocking. The battery struggles to last 18 hours with the bluetooth switched on and only with low use.

I did buy a Motorola Gleam but found Motorola Bluetooth is not compatible with the latest Mercedes Bluetooth, and Motorola don't have a workaround.

Rich27

Car
190e 300TD
I am a lifelong Nokia supporter too.

I like the idea of a "smart" phone, but just can't see the benefit of getting one. The battery life, or lack of it, really puts me off.

It's useful to be able to use a phone whilst I am out and about and have people contact me on the move if they need to. It is pretty useless though if the battery runs out.
k:

My Nokia 5800 Smartphone battery lasts about 4 days with general use, phone internet music etc.
I was surprised when I found out that iPhone users were lucky to get 24 hours.

blondebier

My Nokia 5800 Smartphone battery lasts about 4 days with general use, phone internet music etc.
I was surprised when I found out that iPhone users were lucky to get 24 hours.

We've got a guy in the office that has an iPhone on his desk and when the battery runs out he whips the sim card out and puts it in...

wait for it...

a Nokia 1800. :crazy:

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230 w251
On the smartphone side of this thread, I recently upgraded to a Motorola Atrix, which I am really getting into, apart from the calendar, which erases all appointments, and needs sorting. Contacts and calendar synch with your Googlemail account (auto on/off), which you need to set up to access the app (Market) place via the iconic link in the phone. Is this the same of all android phones?

Google therefore have access to all my contacts (serves 'em right!), pictures of our houses, etc and soon all of our Motorola based answerphone messages, plus all the other stuff. I can't buy into the 'cloud' concept of figuratively 'surrendering' your stuff to other people to look after, so you can access it when you like, and I can't help but wonder what Google's ultimate mission is?

On the other hand, I have said before that I gave up playing rugby on account of my paranoia. I was convinced every time they had a scrum down they were talking about me!

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I bought one of these for my android.

I now get 2-3 days battery instead of less than one. It means I have to carry a brick though.

01.jpg

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
G55 AMG Kompressor
Ive got a Google Nexus S and normally get just over a days battery out of it.

Last month I went to Greece and because I didnt want to be stung by roaming charges I switched off all Internet and data features - only kept calls & texts.

Managed to get nearly 3 days out of it per charge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom