Gooodyr F1's vs. Michelin Pilot Sport vs. Primacy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
It's nearly tyre time again. The rears seem to be in tune to my ASSYST as every time I need a service I seem to have worn the rears out :eek: The fronts have missed one pit stop have done roughly double the mileage of the rears so far.

The tyres could actually do with being rotated to get the most life, but being direction and staggered the tyres need removing. I was quoted £40 to do this today, but I have let the worn ones (both passenger side) get too low for this to be economical.

I am happy with the F1's, they grip well with an obvious penalty of wearing out in 11K miles without trying.

I am now wondering:

1. Stick with the F1's

2. See how Michelin Pilot Primacy's treat me "for high mileage drivers"...."designed for luxury and performance saloons"

3. Michelin Pilot Sports....

Any comments from anyone that has experience of the Michelins and the F1's?

thanks

I have done 10k miles on my P Zero Rossos and the rears are still about 6mm .. the front's slightly less, strangely!

C240Sport97 said:
I have done 10k miles on my P Zero Rossos and the rears are still about 6mm .. the front's slightly less, strangely!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow!

I though P Zeros were a very soft performance tyre?

Only 2mm wear in 10K miles?

Perhaps I need to add P Zero's to my consideration list then :D

that may be because I don't so wheel spins ;)

plus I drive mostly alone.

I have them 30psi front and 33psi back, and this is checked every 1000 miles or so.

I just had a look at the tyres again, and yes, there is still about 6mm if not then it's at least 5mm. Happy to take a pic so you can see :D

I think they're great. But then my only comparison is Continental Sport Contacts.

GrahamC230K said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow!

I though P Zeros were a very soft performance tyre?

Only 2mm wear in 10K miles?

Perhaps I need to add P Zero's to my consideration list then :D

C240Sport97 said:
that may be because I don't so wheel spins ;)

plus I drive mostly alone.

I drive alone mostly too, only ever "chirp" the tyres, no mad burnouts.

Are the Rosso's directional? If not at the consequence of loss of grip a non-directional tyre would be could so I can swap the sides on them.

Hi

I had Pilot Sports 225/45/17 on my previous C230K and now have Vredestein Ultrac 235/45/17 on the E class and would not buy the Michelin again, the Vredestein if far better in the wet and at £100/corner is less than the Michelin.
Vredestein Ultracs have 18K at the moment and I expect the rears to get possibly another 5K, with the fronts maybe closer to 30K.

Just my opinion.

Oh and the Vredestein look good too.

I never even 'chirp' the tyres.

the P Zero Rossos are not directional ... do you have more wear on side of the car??

GrahamC230K said:
I drive alone mostly too, only ever "chirp" the tyres, no mad burnouts.

Are the Rosso's directional? If not at the consequence of loss of grip a non-directional tyre would be could so I can swap the sides on them.

C240Sport97 said:
I never even 'chirp' the tyres.

the P Zero Rossos are not directional ... do you have more wear on side of the car??

Yes. Both passenger side wear most.

I put this down to the passenger front taking the bashing when pushing hard around roundabouts and the passenger side rear is always the first to break traction - the way the differential works I guess.

P Zero Rosso could be the answer :D

Are you sure they are not directional?

Do they look like this? With the tread not being symetrical I would have thought it would have a preferred orientation.

1100040_P_ZERO_ROSSO_ASIMETTRICO_big.gif

Last edited:
it looks just like your pic ...

I checked just before I posted ... there was nothing on the tyre that indicated it was directional, merely "OUTSIDE"

Another set of hardly worn F1's has appeard out of the blue by chance so dilema over for another year......

GrahamC230K said:
I am now wondering:

1. Stick with the F1's

2. See how Michelin Pilot Primacy's treat me "for high mileage drivers"...."designed for luxury and performance saloons"

3. Michelin Pilot Sports....

Any comments from anyone that has experience of the Michelins and the F1's?

thanks

I have 17" Michelin Pilot Sports on mine. In my opinion they are extremely noisy. On the newest road surfaces they are fine but on anything else they are very noisy indeed. I'm looking to get much quieter tyres the next time.

GrahamC230K said:
Another set of hardly worn F1's has appeard out of the blue by chance so dilema over for another year......

While your dilemma has been solved for the moment, thought I would just share my experience with the F1s. Had them front/rear for 16.000 miles now, and I would say that there is still about 5-6 mm of thread left, which I frankly find deeply impressive. Will replace in due time with another set of F1s, as they are quiet, very grippy wet & dry and excellent value.

Anders said:
While your dilemma has been solved for the moment, thought I would just share my experience with the F1s. Had them front/rear for 16.000 miles now, and I would say that there is still about 5-6 mm of thread left, which I frankly find deeply impressive. Will replace in due time with another set of F1s, as they are quiet, very grippy wet & dry and excellent value.

I respect your control over your right foot.

I killed a rear pair of F1's in 11K miles!!! It must be a sign from above that I cannot afford a C43. I would need to stop for new tyres on the way to work!!

I went for Michelin Pilot Primacy's and I cannot fault them, they are quiet with lots of grip and seem to be lasting well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom