GoPro HERO3 - this video makes me want to do something exciting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Impressive clips for sure. What were you thinking about filming?

The main 'problem' with GoPros is the fairly extreme distortion that the wideangle lens causes (curved horizon etc.). With the Hero 2 they gave you the option to select a narrower field of view but this is done by only using part of the sensor ... not optically. Hero 3 has the same, but I notice they are also mentioning that the new lens gives reduced distortion. However it still seems evident in the video. Many people resort to post-processing in a video editor to correct this.

The wideangle lens is a necessary evil - the high depth of field means no focussing is required, which is what makes the camera so small and light.

But there's no doubt the footage produced is very high quality. They are widely used on r/c models (which is why I'm interested in them), usually with the live 'video out' (lower resolution) transmitted to a ground station for viewing on a screen or via goggles.

Buy a camera, go for a drive in Russia and within minutes you will see some major roadrage/multiple lorry pile up crazy driving.

FFS! A Hero 3?! I'm still waiting for the wireless video app for the hero2...

definately getting one for skiing... had great fun with the hero 2 last year (borrowed)... only problem was when it was on my head I could not figure out if it was recording or not.
Even a small screen would be handy to figure out where its pointed..

A lot of the time I was getting footage of the sky and other times just the slope..

The main 'problem' with GoPros is the fairly extreme distortion that the wideangle lens causes (curved horizon etc.). With the Hero 2 they gave you the option to select a narrower field of view but this is done by only using part of the sensor ... not optically. Hero 3 has the same, but I notice they are also mentioning that the new lens gives reduced distortion. However it still seems evident in the video. Many people resort to post-processing in a video editor to correct this.

The wideangle lens is a necessary evil - the high depth of field means no focussing is required, which is what makes the camera so small and light.

But there's no doubt the footage produced is very high quality. They are widely used on r/c models (which is why I'm interested in them), usually with the live 'video out' (lower resolution) transmitted to a ground station for viewing on a screen or via goggles.
I agree with what you say here Bill.

I've recently had some photo's and footage shot both on a Go-pro and Pana TZ-7 at the same time.

The go-pro has a good field of vision but overall quality is reduced as a result.

Guys did anyone get one yet?

Im really holding back as Its a lot of money... £360 for the black series and then £70 for the screen and then another £50-60 in mounts that id want...

For something ill be using twice a year maybe..

I have a 2 if that makes a difference... great camera... a bit un-aerodynamic, but otherwise not bad...

Which one have you got? Is there much difference between the black series and silver... what im asking is does 60fps really make much difference compares to 30fps?

60fps will sharpen up video nicely, but use twice the memory capacity.

Which one have you got? Is there much difference between the black series and silver... what im asking is does 60fps really make much difference compares to 30fps?

Jay , 30fps is the NTSC frame rate and may cause difficulties if you try to integrate that footage in a timeline with material shot on a PAL camcorder which runs at 25 fps .

Pontoneer said:
Jay , 30fps is the NTSC frame rate and may cause difficulties if you try to integrate that footage in a timeline with material shot on a PAL camcorder which runs at 25 fps .

Does NTSC or PAL actually matter anymore? Most people will use editing software convert and then publish online?

Jay - I only use 60fps on mine when I need to do slow-montion videos; otherwise I stick to 30fps.

I edit in iMovie or Windows movie maker (depending on which machine I have to hand at the time); so don't care too much about PAL/NTSC/etc.

Usually, I then upload a copy to Youtube, which also has image stabilization, but it's totally cr*p.

These were all taken with a gopro 2 (at different settings, the higher the resolution, the lower the fps):
[youtube]FGuECwUn0Zg[/youtube]
[youtube]PI5nfKjY8W4[/youtube]
[youtube]OilkJj4SIAI[/youtube]

Last edited:
Anyone ordered one of these?

I ummed and ahhhed as with all the bits Id need it was coming to £450 which is a lot for something ill only use when skiing...

Anyway... I decided to take the plunge on the 7th December and ordered but doesnt look like they have any stock and they are on back order...

Doubt ill get it in time for my Ski trip now.... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom