Got a chance of a C55, what do you chaps think....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Although, make sure you check all electrical items such as heated seats etc. I had a few issues which would have cost a fair bit if it wasn't for merc warranty

They are 2 completely different cars, 3.2 V6 4 wheel drive point and go coupe which are aloot of fun with not much room to a 5.5 V8 with that V8 growl and you dont say but probably a good spec..
It would be a no brainer for me.. 55 everyday, they sound great, look good, can carry 4 adults in comfort at a fast pace.

The items you have listed are all in my eyes "ownership" costs.. 55's eat tyres as you "will" drive it hard, a decent laser align will probably cost you £100.. Discs and pads look OK but as I say are a servicable item.. if no wobble dont worry....

Wheel condition is a personal thing, I like you and many others on this forum cherish their wheels and a minor mark is a nightmare... spend a few £££ on a decent refurb or upgrade them!!??

The 55 is a rare car and there are a few owners on here, one owner who has an estate version has put alot of money into his to get it "right".. Its a stunny very rapid car....

Go for it... spend a little money to make it right.. you wont regret it!!

Hello sounds to be like your almost talking yourself out of a great deal?

ANY car you look to swap your 'mint' TT for is likely to need something, ALL cars need tyres and a C55 probably more than most :)

For not much money really you could have the tracking, tyres, alloys refurbed. I don't think the disc are crazy money even if they do need replacing (do a search for 40% off parts on the forum).

I had a colleague with a TT 3.2v6 DSG and although ok, it didn't really make any noise, very safe well buit car but really the C55 is in a different league. Not actually been in one but at the same company as TT guy the Boss had a E55 and its a beast. I Had a 330ci BMW at the time and really the E55 made them feel so slow...

It sounds like a good deal, get £500 off and sort the few bits and you will have a great car.

they are sport discs look it up
sports disc or not they dont have ridges across the surface lol the surface of a disc is smooth there will be an amount they are aloud before they are classed as f**ked! like were i work at daf they are aloud to be 1.2 mms deep on say a cf 85 but there is no way the surface should be un even that is wear ( but may still be in tolerance )

Last edited:
Guys,

I have a chance to swap my 05 plate 3.2 V6 TT Mk1 plus £5750 for a 55 plate C55 with 45k miles. Now to start with it sounds easy, take the C55 and live happily ever after!

However, I am fussy and mean real fussy. My TT is like new and I really mean it and it only has 16k miles on the clock.

The C55 does not come without issues and I am just not sure if they are enough to bin the idea. I do realise though C55's don't crop up every day!

The issues are:

1. All 4 wheels need a refurb
2. Tracking is out a fair bit.
3. Both rear Tyres are nearly shot.
4. Rear off side caliper looks like it may be sticking or something as the rea disc has a rusty ring towards the outer edge so the pads obviously not making contact under braking, any ideas??
5. The two front discs look warped to me, however you cant feel it under braking at all, but they are not flat to run your fingers over and visibly look strange. Here is a pic:
2011-05-17204349.jpg

So what do you guys reckon to all of the above???

Go for it. The disks are easily and cheaply sorted. Talk to Ollie.

If it wern't for a forthcoming big expenditure I would still have my C55. They are a great car and will put a grin on your face.

sports disc or not they dont have ridges across the surface lol the surface of a disc is smooth there will be an amount they are aloud before they are classed as f**ked! Like were i work at daf they are aloud to be 1.2 mms deep on say a cf 85 but there is no way the surface should be un even that is wear ( but may still be in tolerance )

+1

I do not fully understand what the angst is about......these are completely different animals.....so now that you have got the idea into your head.....TT or C55?????......come on!!

If the numbers work do it.....if the numbers do not work you will now keep looking until you find one where the numbers do work preceded by a lot of sleepless nights wishing you had done the first deal.

Mic

I'm hearing a lot about how much C55's chew up tyres and go through brake discs and pads like there's no tomorrow. Maybe the costs associated with these "normal for a C55" service items, are a bit too much to swallow for some people. Decent tyres aren't cheap, brake discs won't be loose change either.......

Last edited:
I'd try to negotiate a bit further on price for the items you've mentioned, but that sounds like a very good deal. The C55 is a great cruiser and an awesome performer when pushed (its quite tail happy too, if you like that sort of thing).

Give Olly a ring at PCS 02392 0570123. A forum member and he will give a quote.

"its quite tail happy too, if you like that sort of thing"

Doubt the OP is used to that in a quattro :)

I think as with any second hand car of this style people have to remember new it was what probably 50K car? so its going to have more expensive parts / cost more to service / run etc than a standard car.

It is however in the real world more usable and almost as quick as lots of supercars...

Get that C55 and and ask if it comes with a box of Kleenex.

The discs look exactly like my fronts and they are fine. Earlier poster said drilled discs do stripe on the drill hole patterns. Not really an issue.

My front disks were under £300 fitted with new pads. Thats genuine parts, and for the pair! Extremely good value especially as they were fitted in front of me by someone who knows what they are doing. (BlackC55)

Get that C55 and and ask if it comes with a box of Kleenex.

The discs look exactly like my fronts and they are fine. Earlier poster said drilled discs do stripe on the drill hole patterns. Not really an issue.
that is total rubish lol i have 330 mm ap raceing discs on the front of my cosworth that is used as a fast road / track car its has no ridges wearing into the disc surface leading from the cooling hole lol

that is total rubish lol i have 330 mm ap raceing discs on the front of my cosworth that is used as a fast road / track car its has no ridges wearing into the disc surface leading from the cooling hole lol

It's total rubbish that he has a C55 or total rubbish what he is saying about the brake discs?:confused:
Lol

It's total rubbish that he has a C55 or total rubbish what he is saying about the brake discs?:confused:
Lol
read the post lol the brake discs wearing like that as that is what discs with vent holes wear like! that is what brake discs that are becoming worn out wear like vent holes or not lol

Get the C55 - all issues you describe are relatively minor, and nothing to worry about, providing the car has good provenance, full service history, is clean overall, and clear on HPI. Pitting C55 against TT is like Rottweiler vs. Terrier - the Benz will eat it for breakfast - no contest, and is a more rounded ownership proposition. IMO :thumb:

Lol

My front discs looked pretty similar to the OPs photo - and I was told they had loads of life left in them...certainly stopped well enough :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom