Got a chance of a C55, what do you chaps think....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terrymcg

Car
W164 ML 320CDI
Guys,

I have a chance to swap my 05 plate 3.2 V6 TT Mk1 plus £5750 for a 55 plate C55 with 45k miles. Now to start with it sounds easy, take the C55 and live happily ever after!

However, I am fussy and mean real fussy. My TT is like new and I really mean it and it only has 16k miles on the clock.

The C55 does not come without issues and I am just not sure if they are enough to bin the idea. I do realise though C55's don't crop up every day!

The issues are:

1. All 4 wheels need a refurb
2. Tracking is out a fair bit.
3. Both rear Tyres are nearly shot.
4. Rear off side caliper looks like it may be sticking or something as the rea disc has a rusty ring towards the outer edge so the pads obviously not making contact under braking, any ideas??
5. The two front discs look warped to me, however you cant feel it under braking at all, but they are not flat to run your fingers over and visibly look strange. Here is a pic:
2011-05-17204349.jpg

So what do you guys reckon to all of the above???

Last edited by a moderator:
Bin the TT , get the 55 , negotiate enough discount for a caliper service , and a pair of discs.

Refurbing wheels is cheap enough , as is getting the tracking done. Gotta expect to put tyres on a 55.

Its a different league.

Last edited:
let your wife have the tt back lol and buy the merc all cars need tyres at some stage and there is no way you can see a warped disc! if it dosent judder then its ok but they do look worn as in scored! do they have a lip around the edge? plus i wouldent worry about the rears if the main face of the disc is not rusty then they are working and if the caliper was sticking you would small it!

Last edited:
Disc looks fine. What do you mean?

Pattern on the disks lines up nearly with the x-drilling - wondering if it is just that "a pattern".

I am not saying its not fine, im just not sure. It does not look right to me - discs are generally smoth and flat. At least the drilled ones on my E46 M3 were.
very nice car by the way do u have a full pic of it

Last edited:
I am not saying its not fine, im just not sure. It does not look right to me - discs are generally smoth and flat. At least the drilled ones on my E46 M3 were.
the disc face should be smoth and flat! and there should not be a large lip on the edge iver if they are not then when it next needs pads it will need discs but this is an easy fix and no reason to put you off the car even an at home job

guys that is the way the discs are too look they are fine as for rusty edge the pads just dont reach the edge

cheap fix wheels balanced and tracked half hour , two new tyres

wheels refurb job done

check rear disc if it needs freeing

not a lot to do for such a quick car the TT WOULD BE like a fiesta next too it

guys that is the way the discs are too look they are fine as for rusty edge the pads just dont reach the edge

wheels refurb job done

they look to have ridges in them to me lol and he says there not smoth! so not how they are meant to be

wheels refurb job done

Do it.

The price for entering the big league looks like a small one to pay.

This car has the potential to make your TT seems a toy.

never mind me im in a bad mood tonight

You only have to put £5750 towards the 55? Bargain!

All the things that you mention are service items which can be sorted in no time.

Good luck with the purchase.

As per PM.

Indy for a full check.

Money well spent if it throws anything up ;)

Go for the C55, you won't regret it. All of the problems sound easily fixable and as others have said are to be expected / consumable items.

This should not even be considered, buy it, you are getting a very good deal there.:doh:

as for the AMG disks, I agree they do not look great compared to mine but as sweetpea said these are all service items and can be done easily.

C55 tyres do not last long anyway, take the chance to change them to a wider tyres 255+

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom