Got a missfire on the E55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benzsc1

Car
Various W201 W124 C124
Hey all, My E55 W210 non kompressor engine just developed a missfire at about 4000 RPM she is fine below that and if you are gentle with throttle above 4000 rpm then you cannot notice the missfire.

Probably leads as already had some impartial advise on the Merc190Uk forum but just thought as a back up to post on here too incase anyone has experienced the same with thier V8?

Si ;)

Last edited:
Either a lead, coil pack or MAF I would think. Need to get it on a Star machine to be sure.

Thanks guys will get her plugged in was thinking leads but yes the Maf and Coil packs had sprung to mind was slightly unsettle when the local dealer quoted me 370 quid for a full set of leads does anyone know if there is a good equivilent or upgrade of lead you can buy for these engines.

You might not need to replace all the leads ...

Get a STAR test on it , then you'll know what you are dealing with ... could be a coil pack on the way out , leads , MAS , plug breaking down , anything really.

Replacing parts to cure the fault isn't the way to do it , unless you like spending money.

Mine ( 430 V8 ) has a tiny misfire at idle , but it is hardly noticeable , and doesn't bother me.

No Howard I agree and was'nt for one second thinking of just replacing all the leads no point at this stage until I know where the issue lies. And no I dont like spending money unless I have to! lol.

I can't live with this misfire because it completely affects the performance of the beast. she can however be driven normally with no real issues.

So once it has been on a star machine I will repost to update.:)

Good luck !

Thanks guys will get her plugged in was thinking leads but yes the Maf and Coil packs had sprung to mind was slightly unsettle when the local dealer quoted me 370 quid for a full set of leads does anyone know if there is a good equivilent or upgrade of lead you can buy for these engines.

For leads, you can try Magnecor. Great people and service and costs less than your 370 quid (not unless that includes installation) :thumb: By the way, how long ago did you change your spark plugs?

Last edited:
Just finished a missfire on an E55. Good old Star :thumb:. Diagnosed a failed injector on No8 Cyl.

Update: She has got worse, it doesnt like any load applied at all above 2000 rpm if you do throttle to much she begins to missfire which even at idle which she wasnt doing before until you stop shut her down and restart the engine then poodle off again. Also it seems its losing enough power for it to be more than just one cylinder the missfire is occuring on its almost like half the engine shuts down. Another thing to note is before this behaviour began I was hearing a mettalic rattle on tickover coming from the secondary cat area under the car on the drivers side?? The rattle has stopped since the missfire began possibly related?? It pulled like a train before. Anyway speculation is not the one I must get her on a star machine my pal works at the local main dealer so he is going to connect her up next wednesday hopefully. Its just not nice when they spring these types of problems at this time of year!

I do hope we are all in good spirits completed all my Christmas shopping in two hours today typical man lol ;)

Last edited:
Right update so got her plugged in to a snap on diagnostic terminal she threw up missfire codes on all 8 cylinders but there was also an air temp sensor circuit malfunction code that was logged so we cleared the codes restarted her so she was running on all 8 shut her down ensurring all codes were cleared which they were bar the air temp sensor error which reappeared so me thinks MAF sensor? It certainly does bog down before misfiring which leads me to thinks its both air/fuel related rather than a HT fault. I hear ECP do Bosch MAFs for £130 I will go and check!
e5002163.gif

I will let you know if shes fixed post MAF swap.
e5000999.gif

ECP do three different types a pattern non disclosed make for £103 a Bosch unit at £220 and a Pierburg unit at £133 I will dismiss the pattern one but am wondering if the Pierburb unit is worth a try?

Last edited:
Right update so got her plugged in to a snap on diagnostic terminal she threw up missfire codes on all 8 cylinders but there was also a air temp sensor circuit malfunction code that was logged so we cleared the codes restarted her so she was running on all 8 shut her down ensurring all codes were cleared which they were bar the air temp sensor error which reappeared so me thinks MAF sensor? It certainly does bog down before misfiring which leads me to thinks its both air/fuel related rather than a HT fault. I hear ECP do Bosch MAFs for £130 I will go and check!
e5002163.gif

e5000999.gif

ECP do three different types a pattern non disclosed make for £103 a Bosch unit at £220 and a Pierburg unit at £133 I will dismiss the pattern one but am wondering whether the Pierburb unit is worth a try?

Do a google search on "Pierburg maf any good"

You get mixed reviews but consensus seems to be stick with Bosch :thumb:

Thanks for the speedy response chap ;) To save agg will prob just go Bosch.

Hi,
Unless they have gone up IIRC i paid less than £220 for a MAF from MB for my 43.
Try a Bosch dealer for a price, and see if you can just buy the insert/element instead of the whole unit as they are normally considerably cheaper.

Got a genuine Bosch MAF for £199 but alas it has not solved the problem! back to the drawing board then... My pal is a tech at the local Merc dealer he is going to plug her in when he is back to work and re-check the error codes...

The saga continues lol

Right update so got her plugged in to a snap on diagnostic terminal she threw up missfire codes on all 8 cylinders but there was also an air temp sensor circuit malfunction code that was logged so we cleared the codes restarted her so she was running on all 8 shut her down ensurring all codes were cleared which they were bar the air temp sensor error which reappeared so me thinks MAF sensor? It certainly does bog down before misfiring which leads me to thinks its both air/fuel related rather than a HT fault. I hear ECP do Bosch MAFs for £130 I will go and check!
e5002163.gif

e5000999.gif

ECP do three different types a pattern non disclosed make for £103 a Bosch unit at £220 and a Pierburg unit at £133 I will dismiss the pattern one but am wondering if the Pierburb unit is worth a try?

I am confused...you said you got an "air temp sensor error" ...but you replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)?

Why didn't you replace the the air temperature sensor?

Mass airflow, air temperature and air pressure (vacuum) are different and are sensed by different sensors.

Cheers... :)

This is what I thought but the intake air temp sensor AFAIK is built in to the MAF sensor unlike other some other cars which have an IAT sensor normally just fitted in a rubber intake bung with a seperate wiring plug. Hence reason for MAF replacement. Now someone on here please correct me if I am wrong but I did qeustion thais with a Merc tech who confirms the IAT is built in to the MAF.

I have also been told the adap settings on the ECU need a reset once the new MAF is installed in order for the problem to dissapear I have had mixed view on this but am going to go with a full reset aswell.

STAR doesn't diagnose everything.

I had a misfire on one of my C43's. STAR was suggesting a lamda sensor problem (IIRC) but it was something else - my local indy got a multimeter out and tested all the leads and coil packs individually - it turned out I needed 2 leads and one coil pack.

It was good to have a skilled mech on the case who was willing to do some traditional fault-finding rather than replacing 16 leads and all the coil packs (which is what a dealer would do).

STAR doesn't diagnose everything.

I had a misfire on one of my C43's. STAR was suggesting a lamda sensor problem (IIRC) but it was something else - my local indy got a multimeter out and tested all the leads and coil packs individually - it turned out I needed 2 leads and one coil pack.

It was good to have a skilled mech on the case who was willing to do some traditional fault-finding rather than replacing 16 leads and all the coil packs (which is what a dealer would do).

A Star can detect a missfire on every cylinder. You just have to know where to look ;). A Star will not tell you what component is faulty on the ignition side every time but will guide you as to what cylinder it is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom