Got a Playstation 3 and a wireless router? Try this!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Did you know that you can play pictures, music, and video stored on your PC directly on the PS3? Rather handy if you've got it hooked up to a high-res TV and a decent sound system.

I set it up last night ... dead easy. Assuming your PC has the current version of Windows Media Player (vers. 11) just go into Tools, Options, Library, Configure Sharing and tick the box saying "Share my Media". Then on the PS3 select "Search for Media Servers". A pop-up appears on the PC asking if you want to allow access ... select "allow". That's basically it.

You then get a Windows Media Player Icon on the PS3 under each menu (photos, videos, music). Select it and you can access playlists etc. on the PC, or if you don't use those go down to Folders and you can access My Photos / Videos / Music, and drill down into your folders.

Once the sharing has been set up as above the PC just has to be powered on ... you don't need to have Media Player running, or even be logged in.

If you have more than one user on your PC you will have to do this for each user you want to share media from ... you get seperate icons on the PS3 for each one (with the user name on the end).

It all works brilliantly, previously I've transferred selected files via a USB stick but no need to bother with this now. Plus of course by playing things directly from the PC you're not filling up the PS3's hard disk.

Only downside I've found is that the PS3 doesn't recognise all video formats/codecs. E.g. a few of the WMVs I've downloaded from the web don't play on the PS3. Other than that it all seems to work fine.

BTW we've also found that if we plug Mrs BTB's MP3 player into a USB port on the PS3 all the folders and files on that show up :)

BTW we've also found that if we plug Mrs BTB's MP3 player into a USB port on the PS3 all the folders and files on that show up :)[/quote]
you can down load all that to the ps3 to...the PS3 is an awesome bit of kit not just a games console and later this year there is going to be sony tv (bit like sky)just buy an interface and plug in to the ps3 cannot wait to try it... thanks for the other bit of info will try that tomorrow with the main computer regards jon

and an XboX original running XBMC (albeit without WiFi, but I've resolved that with a pair of ethernet-over-power plugs)

Michele

Did this and it's great. Did you also know that if you have a PSP you can "Pair" it to your PS3........It gets better.

Then you download a game onto the PS3 hard drive. I bought Crash Bandicoot 1 for £2.49 from the PS3 store via the PS3.

Then - take your PSP with you when you go abroad. As long as you have a wireless connection from your hotel (or anywhere else) and you leave the PS3 on standby, you can wake up your PS3 using your PSP anywhere in the world and play anything that's stored on your PS3. ie films, games, music etc.... It gets better though...

As long as you leave your pc on as well, because it's all wifi, you can then play all your songs and movies that are stored on your pc - on your PSP while you are away as it all routes through the PS3... Tada..!!!

How cool is that - And better stil - it works seemlessly coz I've done it.

I don't have a PSP but I know there's some very cute stuff e.g. one of the PS3 driving games allows you to use the PSP as your rear view mirror :cool:

Except the Xbox 360 doesn't have built in Wi-Fi?

No, you have to stump up extra for the dedicated little WiFi attachment that hangs off the back:(

That said it works very well indeed. But beware, it is not compatible with all Wireless routers! List on the Xbox360 support site

Does anyone have a PS3 and Call Of Duty 4?

I CAN'T STOP PLAYING IT!!!

Does anyone have a PS3 and Call Of Duty 4?

I CAN'T STOP PLAYING IT!!!

Yup, I pre-ordered it and it popped through my letterbox the day it was launched ... great game :)

Is it absolutely necessary to have HD tv with PS3 - I have an "ordinary" Panasonic Viera 42" plasma - not HD - would it be a mess on that ????

What resolution is your plasma?

I'm sure it would be OK. Few games use 1080 yet (most are 720 I think). I had my PS3 on an old 28" CRT TV for the first couple of months.

No Idea of its resolution - I think its 720 ...

It will be fine - just not as good as it could be on a 1080p. I know the PS3 supports 1080p for Blue Ray films but most games are 1080i which I believe is equivalent to 720p.?

a friend of mine only has a 21" normal tv it plays ok but you can tell that its not as good as it should be but the picture is fine ,only because i have mine on a 42 plasma hd regards jon

It will be fine - just not as good as it could be on a 1080p. I know the PS3 supports 1080p for Blue Ray films but most games are 1080i which I believe is equivalent to 720p.?

Most are 720p.

The next thing to look out for is PlayTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom