Got a warning ! Advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GRAV888

MB Enthusiast
Car
2017 CLA 180 AMG in Black (mine) 2018 GLA 200 SE in Black (wifes)
I need a bit of advice from our resident police people.
Whilst driving home from the pub tonight, a patrol car (obviously with nothing else to do) flashed me from the opposite side of the road.
He turned round and pulled me up with the obligatory flashing blue strobes.
After asking me the same old questions, like where had I been and where was I going, he gave me a breath test.(No problem, as I never have more than 2 pints if I'm driving).
With this done and no subsequent arrest, he then proceded to go round my car with a fine toothed comb.
I had already turned the neons off before I left home, but he picked up on the blue washer jets.
He gave me a warning and told me to disconnect them asap.
I had an arguement with him, stating that as they did not rotate or flash, there was nothing he could do about them.
Am I right in stating this, or should I be a law obiding citizen and disconnect them? (for a while anyway).

Any info appreciated.

P.S. You still alive Dave?

Did he not say anything about your numberplate ? It looks really cool , but , does it not have to be a certain colour?

The subject of the blue washer jets has raised several avenue's of discussion, my opinion is that they are poxy, but i emphasise that's MY opinion.

With regards to the law the jury is out on this one, its a shame that the link that Spike included to Hughes web site doesen't work right at the end and take you to the link i added, as it explained the latest view point. Probably coz it was in the stop press section of hughes site, and is therefore not latest news any longer.

Basically the article was saying that as the lights do not flash or rotate, then they cannot be described as a beacon as used by the emeregency services, and are therefore not illegal, it went into it deaper than that, but thats it in a nutshell.

Did they not comment on your number plates, as they are certainly illegal for road use in the UK??

Also when they start inspecting your vehicle in future, inform them that you want a "Defered test", this will really give them something to think about, (unless they are traffic), as your average run of the mill plod won't have a clue what your talking about, but it's something that you are entitled to request, and can only be refused if it is obvious that your vehicle is imenently dangerous.

Hope this helps.

PS as you can see i am still drawing breath, but have been away for 3 weeks on holiday.

Please explain the deferred test.

Glad to hear you're still with us Dave.
Hope you had a nice time on holiday. (I'm off to Rhodes on 16th).

As you can imagine,with regard to the number plates, I have had quite a few pulls.:(
None of the police made a big issue out of them, but did say that there are some "jobs worths" out there.
I think they just think it's a right hand drive Belgian registered car.
As with Andy_W, please describe the "defered test".
Thanks,
Graeme

Originally posted by Andy W
Please explain the deferred test.
It sounds to me like you get to have a proper test (prolly like an MOT) at a time of your chosing, rather than on the spot at the side of the road in the middle of the night by someone who isn't actually qualified to inspect a vehicle :rolleyes: .

Originally posted by Shude
It sounds to me like you get to have a proper test (prolly like an MOT) at a time of your chosing, rather than on the spot at the side of the road in the middle of the night by someone who isn't actually qualified to inspect a vehicle :rolleyes: .

Sounds like a good card to play, come on Dave confirm!!

EDIT: Although I pride myself on the fact that the car is maintained perfectly, so an inspection is not something I would fear, but perhaps not at 2am by a Panda driver :rolleyes:

Well you asked!!

Section 67.
Deferred Tests of Condition of Vehicles
1. Where the driver is the owner of the vehicle, he may at the time of electing that the test shall be deferred—
(a) specify a period of seven days within which the deferred test is to take place, being a period falling within the next thirty days, disregarding any day on which the vehicle is outside Great Britain, and
(b) require that the deferred test shall take place on premises then specified by him where the test can conveniently be carried out or that it shall take place in such area in England and Wales, being a county district or Greater London, or such area in Scotland, being an islands area or district, as he may specify at that time.
2. When the driver is not the owner of the vehicle he shall inform the examiner of the name and address of the owner of the vehicle and the owner shall be afforded an opportunity of specifying such a period, and such premises or area.
3.—(1) Where under the preceding provisions of this Schedule a period has been specified within which the deferred test is to be carried out, the time for carrying it out shall be such time within that period as may be notified, being a time not earlier than two days after the giving of the notification.

(2) Where no such period has been specified, the time for the carrying out of the deferred test shall be such time as may be notified, being a time not earlier than seven days after the giving of the notification.

(3) Where premises have been specified under the preceding provisions of this Schedule for the carrying out of the deferred test, and the test can conveniently be carried out on those premises, it must be carried out there.

(4) Where sub-paragraph (3) above does not apply, the place for carrying out the deferred test shall be such place as may be notified with the notification of the time for the carrying out of the test, and where an area has been so specified the place shall be a place in that area.

(5) Notwithstanding the preceding provisions of this paragraph, the time and place for the carrying out of the deferred test may be varied by agreement between an authorised examiner and the owner of the vehicle.

(6) In this paragraph—
"notified" means notified in writing to the owner of the vehicle on behalf of the Secretary of State, and
"notification" shall be construed accordingly,
and any notification under this paragraph may be given by post.
4. The owner of the vehicle must produce it, or secure its production, at the time and place fixed for the carrying out of the deferred test.
5.—(1) References in this Schedule to the owner of a vehicle are references to the owner of the vehicle at the time at which the election is made under section 67(6) of this Act that the test should be deferred.

(2) For the purposes of this Schedule—
(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b) below, if at the time at which that election is made the vehicle is in the possession of a person under a hire-purchase agreement or hiring agreement, that person shall be deemed to be the owner of the vehicle to the exclusion of any other person,
(b) if at that time the vehicle is being used under an international circulation permit, the person to whom the permit was issued shall be deemed to be the owner of the vehicle to the exclusion of any other person.

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Dave - forgive me as I'm just a dumb comms engineer - but could I please have a condensed common english translation of the above :)

Also - is this a complete vehicle inspection or just of the supposed "faulty items" at the time of the "tug" ?

Cheers mate

Mark

Good to see you are still around !

Originally posted by GRAV888
I need a bit of advice from our resident police people.
Whilst driving home from the pub tonight, a patrol car (obviously with nothing else to do) flashed me from the opposite side of the road.
He turned round and pulled me up with the obligatory flashing blue strobes.
After asking me the same old questions, like where had I been and where was I going, he gave me a breath test.(No problem, as I never have more than 2 pints if I'm driving).
With this done and no subsequent arrest, he then proceded to go round my car with a fine toothed comb.
I had already turned the neons off before I left home, but he picked up on the blue washer jets.
He gave me a warning and told me to disconnect them asap.
I had an arguement with him, stating that as they did not rotate or flash, there was nothing he could do about them.
Am I right in stating this, or should I be a law obiding citizen and disconnect them? (for a while anyway).

Any info appreciated.

P.S. You still alive Dave?

Kind of forgot to give my opinion to the original question in my 1st reply!

Well all IMHO:

You volunteered for Police agrivation and added attention when you fitted foreign number plates, illegal tints a neon light and illuninated washer jets!

For show use I suppose neons have a place, but I cannot pretend to see the attraction of the washer jets.

Either play cat and mouse with your local bobbies or remove them. Personally I could do with starting on a clean slate should I get pulled over for something a little more serious or need their assistance at any time................. :eek:

Re: Re: Got a warning ! Advice needed.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Kind of forgot to give my opinion to the original question in my 1st reply!

Well all IMHO:

You volunteered for Police agrivation and added attention when you fitted foreign number plates, illegal tints a neon light and illuninated washer jets!

For show use I suppose neons have a place, but I cannot pretend to see the attraction of the washer jets.

Either play cat and mouse with your local bobbies or remove them. Personally I could do with starting on a clean slate should I get pulled over for something a little more serious or need their assistance at any time................. :eek:

Being your usual "Supportive Self" Graham eh mate.:D :D LOL

Yeah - come on Graham ... don't hold back ... say what you REALLY feel !! ;) ;) :p

You buggers. I did hold back!

You forget I've met Graeme, he's well aware of what's what and what he can get away with, he loves it!

I'm with Graham on this one (again!).

You know the plates are illegal and the blue washer jets and neons are asking for attention from plod. A girl at work has totally illegible plates and pappy washer jets on her Fiesta and has had two warnings of a £1000 fine yet she keeps them on.:confused:

This is just my opinion (and Grahams :p ) but illuminated washer jets and neon lights look pants and have no place on a Mercedes. Any MB is a quality, classy car that has classic, quality, discreet styling, I think these things are degrading to the marque and should be left to the boy racers.

Don't take offence, just my opinion and we all have different views and opinions. Some people don't like my roofbox.:D

Originally posted by jimmy
Don't take offence, just my opinion and we all have different views and opinions. Some people don't like my roofbox.:D
I think your roofbox needs neons or LEDs or something to brighten it up a bit :rolleyes:

IMHO dodgy licence plates and illuminated things are a waste of time and money. I think people either love them or hate them, I'm afraid I'm the latter. As Graham said, the very last thing I would want to do is attract the attention of the Police, I am already on a downer as a young man driving a Mercedes so I would need all the help I could get if I was pulled over for a driving offence, having illegal LEDs and licence plates would certainly not help my cause at all.

I`ll add my 2 pence worth as everyone opening their hearts out to this one! ;)

washer jets - cheap and tacky
number plates - you can get diff ones made that are nicer (AKA koolvins), i have a private plate on retntion because its not the sort of plate for my benz (B4D XX) saving it for when i can afford the porcshe! :)

neons - i had them on my ford orion many years ago! but that was the craze then, its since considered tacky and i wouldnt do them personnaly now.

Grav, you do up the car how you want to, but everyone has there opinion of what is nicce and what is not!

as for the police, i was told anything apart from red\orange turn light on the rear (reverse white light when reversing) is illegal, lights at the front should be white light. any other color is not acceptable.

"I'm colourblind .... those lights don't look blue to me ..... are you sure ?"

...... honest officer :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom